Zombie Movies

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Zombie Movies

Postby Berserkfury819 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:58 pm

So JR, you've mentioned that Dawn of the Dead (original) is one of your favorite films. Its one of mine too, and I was wondering if there are any other zombies movies you like? Personally, I'm a huge fan of zombie flicks.
Spider-Man RIP. 1962-2007

You've pissed off my piss button- Matisleonhart

Send somebody back in time to shoot the pigeon- Kevin Cushing.

With blood and rage of crimson red
Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead
Together with our Hellish hate
We'll burn you all. That is your fate

Berserkfury819
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: Zombie Movies

Postby MadGoblin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Berserkfury819 wrote:So JR, you've mentioned that Dawn of the Dead (original) is one of your favorite films. Its one of mine too, and I was wondering if there are any other zombies movies you like? Personally, I'm a huge fan of zombie flicks.

Good question.

Yeah, I'm very partial to the original "Dawn", largely because the first couple of times I saw it at midnight showings back during my college days, and it was just a fun atmosphere, particularly when probably half of the audience wasn't sober (although I have to admit that this affection didn't extend to any showings of "Rocky Horror Picture Show." I just never got into that movie, or the goofballs mimicking the film up in front). "Shaun of the Dead" with Simon Pegg is a great flick. I'm not sure where I've seen another movie that so perfectly blended both broad comedy and horror. Obviously, the original "Night of the Living Dead," is a true classic if you can get past the fact that only one of the cast could even be remotely called an actor. I just love the whole "get your cronies together and make a horror movie" aspect of it. The "Dawn" remake doesn't compare with the original, but isn't bad. The original "Day of the Dead" was very disappointing and "Land of the Dead" was rather ordinary. I saw one of the "Return of the Living Dead" films (the one with Kent McCord, and thought it was crap, so I never had any desire to see another. Other than that, I can't say that there are any zombie flicks that come to mind that I liked. I've been curious about the film version of "World War Z" but that seems to be in cinematic limbo.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Berserkfury819 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:05 pm

I liked 28 Days Later a lot, even though is a zombie movie that's not really a zombie movie. Shaun of the Dead is hiarious. I don't knoq if you've ever seen Brain Dead by Peter Jackson (released Dead Alive in the US). Its completely ridiculous, over the top, and probably my favorite zombie movie. I'm really looking forward to World War Z if it ever manages to get moving. I absolutely loved the book.
Spider-Man RIP. 1962-2007

You've pissed off my piss button- Matisleonhart

Send somebody back in time to shoot the pigeon- Kevin Cushing.

With blood and rage of crimson red
Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead
Together with our Hellish hate
We'll burn you all. That is your fate

Berserkfury819
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby jvl1031 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:55 pm

Hello JR. I just wanted to recommend Zombieland as long as we're on the topic of zombie movies. It was one of my favorite movies from last year, and I had a lot of fun with it. It comes out to DVD on February 2, if you want to check it out. Anyway, thank you for your time, and take care.
jvl1031
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Extreme Spider » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:40 pm

jvl1031 wrote:Hello JR. I just wanted to recommend Zombieland as long as we're on the topic of zombie movies. It was one of my favorite movies from last year, and I had a lot of fun with it. It comes out to DVD on February 2, if you want to check it out. Anyway, thank you for your time, and take care.

I Second that Motion. Usually I "Burrow" Them From My Neighbor. But I Had To Go To My Local Game store And Get That Movie. It's Funny especially the Charecter Of Tallahassee.
Extreme Spider
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Javi Trujillo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:09 am

Zombieland is like the American version of Shaun of the Dead. It's a great movie. Shaun might have a little more heart and pathos to it, though. Zombialand owes more to 28 Days Later than Dawn of the Dead, though.

JR, do you have a prefered cut of the original Dawn of the Dead? I have an autographed 4 disc dvd box set that has the theatrical, extended, and european cuts. I got Romero to sign it last September at the Survival of the Dead premiere (which should finally come out in May)
Delta Tau Chi member Diablo
formerly Webhead623
Javi Trujillo
Avenger
Avenger

Postby MadGoblin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:15 am

Javi Trujillo wrote: JR, do you have a prefered cut of the original Dawn of the Dead? I have an autographed 4 disc dvd box set that has the theatrical, extended, and european cuts. I got Romero to sign it last September at the Survival of the Dead premiere (which should finally come out in May)

I have seen only 2 versions, theatrical and extended, not the European, and I'm going on memory here so it could be faulty...I tend to prefer the original cut, because I kind of like the dopey soundtrack that apparently Romero hated (and if I recall correctly, replaced in the other versions), and because I did not feel that the extended scenes really added anything (like Frannie's nasty comment to Steven (Flyboy) "We'll just take those to the Fotomart and get them developed!" when he was taking pictures of her.) The one quibble I do have with the original cut is that it strongly implies that Steven is the one who killed the controller in order to take the station's chopper - but the extended cut makes it clear that the controller was already dead (I think by suicide) and Steven did not kill him.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator