Year in Review 2007- Suggestion

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Year in Review 2007- Suggestion

Postby mysteriosity » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:34 am

Hello JR, long time reader, first time caller etc. etc. Let me leave it be said I have long enjoyed your colorful colloquialisms about Spidey comics over the last few years, from your analyses of issues to the beads of sweat which form on Norman's head. At the risk of being presumptuous, as I don't want to take up any more of your time reading how I named my child 'Madgoblin' in dedication to you, I'll try to cut to my chase.

I saw you had mentioned in another thread that you were compiling 20-some pages for a super huge Year in Review article, which would comprise 2007-2009 in one fell swoop. First, I think I speak for most of your readers when I say take as long as you need; I know you are not being paid to write these articles and they give me a lot of free enjoyment, I don't take that fr granted. My suggestion is, would it be possible to consider isolating your 2007 Year in Review? (I have a good reason... wait for it...) Like a few Spidey readers, I rather unceremoniously dropped all Spider-man issues after the One More Day debacle and have not looked at one since. I looked at it as maybe not a good ending, but nonetheless an end of an era. I would urge you to take your 2007 Review out of the trifecta of Year End articles for the reason that not only does it make more narrative sense (on your site) to have that year stand on its own with the others; but also because there is really nothing linking it to 2008-2009. 2007 was very much still tied into the events of Civil War & Avengers and so on, and Brand New Day... kind of did its own thing. (I am still convinced it takes place in a pocket universe, and daily come up with new ways to undo it when I of course write Amazing Spider-Man ;) Now, do I think you should never combine Year Ends? Not at all, i think 2008-2010 would work pretty well on its own if you were so inclined. And I would absolutely read it even if I don't buy BND. But mainly, your site is so much in spirit of what Spidey and his history and old school fans are about, it would be a shame to not have One More Year round out the single Year Review articles, which 'some' Spidey fans saw as a kind of breaking point in the comics themselves. (Plus it's a good stop for your eventual book.. :O) Anyway, I absolutely do not think I speak for the entire board nor do I think you must do 100% what I say or perish, only wish that you would take my humble suggestion into account. Sincerely, J. Michael Straczynski <oh please...:)>
mysteriosity
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Re: Year in Review 2007- Suggestion

Postby MadGoblin » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:39 am

mysteriosity wrote:I saw you had mentioned in another thread that you were compiling 20-some pages for a super huge Year in Review article, which would comprise 2007-2009 in one fell swoop. ... I would urge you to take your 2007 Review out of the trifecta of Year End articles

Each of the Years in Review would always remain as separate articles (i.e. YIR 2007, YIR 2008, etc.). I was just saying that I was writing and editing them all at the same time. 2007 would also have a JMS retrospective, brief, but one nonetheless. Unfortunately, I haven't touched them in more than a month.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Year in Review 2007- Suggestion

Postby mysteriosity » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:56 am

I perhaps should rephrase something I was trying to say- I know it's quite rude of me to further "suggest" anything, but please take it as a compliment that i enjoy SKB so much that I am wanting to harass you like this. :) Tell you what, if you happen to read this no need to feel compelled to respond; I know you must be short on time and I must sound like a pest.

At the risk of being a jerk, I was kind of pushing that you should drop writing '08 and '09 for now in the interest of just finishing the 2007 year in review. I know that I would personally be fine waiting for you to get more time on your hands, but would be tremendously disappointed to wait this long for '07 due to the fact that you were also compiling BND reviews at the same time. Just thinking out loud that if you are pressed for time in writing these great articles, in my personal opinion I'd much rather see what your '07 YIR looked like rather than wait to read that, '08 and '09 all together in a massive update in one day. I meant there's no inherent reason you should feel compelled that they need to be written together, but just IMO.
mysteriosity
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer