Theory: Lance Bannon... Killed by the Hobgoblin?

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

666andahalf
Webslinger
Webslinger

Theory: Lance Bannon... Killed by the Hobgoblin?

Post by 666andahalf » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:12 pm

After rereading J.R.'s "Squandered Legacy" articles and remembering what I read about Lance Bannon close to Ned Leed's death, could the Hobgoblin have been the one to orchestrate Bannon's murder?

(Now, I haven't read the FACADE storyline, just read summaries, so this may not work, but bare with me.)

Lance seemed to have some kind of obsession with Hobgoblin during the wind-down of the Hobgoblin storyline in the late 80's. He was seen with lots of Hobgoblin photos and even spotted meeting with a mad Daniel Kingsley about something that was never revealed. Perhaps Lance was getting close to discovering some kind of connection between the Hobgoblin, Kingsley LTD. and Ned Leeds? Roderick was probably aware of this, but during the chaotic events of the Gang War and the aftermath of Ned's death and Daniel getting shot, it didn't seem to be a priority.

But given that Roderick was very careful to cover his tracks, he may have realized later on that he left a potentially dangerous loose end that could implicate his organization with the Hobgoblin or possibly worse. Therefore, during one of his trips back to the US, he could have easily captured one of the guests at the FACADE expo event and brainwashed him/her to kill Bannon and anyone else who got in the way.

Even if this scenario doesn't entirely fit with the original bad story, I feel that it would at least give Lance a slightly more meaningful death and more significance to the Spider-Man mythos.

Thoughts?
"With great power... comes great fun!" - Topher Grace describing Venom.

"Venom is Eddie Brock and the alien symbiote. Anyone else is not Venom. You can call it Venom, it can look like Venom... it's not going to be Venom." - David Michelinie
Kevin Cushing wrote:Bad writing is Venom's greatest weakness.

Funnykay
Avenger
Avenger

Re: Theory: Lance Bannon... Killed by the Hobgoblin?

Post by Funnykay » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:06 pm

That's a pretty good theory. It would be a good excuse to bring up the HobGoblin in ASM again AND finally end the shit-fest mystery that was Who is F.A.C.A.D.E
So, who's the real sicko, America? Me, for carrying out this little prank? The producers and executives at the network, who let it all happen-- or is it you people, who mindlessly watched it all on your television sets? - The Joker
No one stands on the top of the world. Not you, not me, not even Gods. But the unbearable vacancy of the throne in the sky is over. From now on...I will be sitting on it. - Sosuke Aizen
Smoking marijuana, eating Cheetos and masturbating do not constitute plans in my book. - Walter White
Look straight ahead. Look squarely at the people you're killing. And don't forget them. Never...forget them. Because they won't forget you.
- Solf J. Kimblee

Mister Mets

Post by Mister Mets » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:03 pm

666andahalf wrote:After rereading J.R.'s "Squandered Legacy" articles and remembering what I read about Lance Bannon close to Ned Leed's death, could the Hobgoblin have been the one to orchestrate Bannon's murder?

(Now, I haven't read the FACADE storyline, just read summaries, so this may not work, but bare with me.)

Lance seemed to have some kind of obsession with Hobgoblin during the wind-down of the Hobgoblin storyline in the late 80's. He was seen with lots of Hobgoblin photos and even spotted meeting with a mad Daniel Kingsley about something that was never revealed. Perhaps Lance was getting close to discovering some kind of connection between the Hobgoblin, Kingsley LTD. and Ned Leeds? Roderick was probably aware of this, but during the chaotic events of the Gang War and the aftermath of Ned's death and Daniel getting shot, it didn't seem to be a priority.

But given that Roderick was very careful to cover his tracks, he may have realized later on that he left a potentially dangerous loose end that could implicate his organization with the Hobgoblin or possibly worse. Therefore, during one of his trips back to the US, he could have easily captured one of the guests at the FACADE expo event and brainwashed him/her to kill Bannon and anyone else who got in the way.

Even if this scenario doesn't entirely fit with the original bad story, I feel that it would at least give Lance a slightly more meaningful death and more significance to the Spider-Man mythos.

Thoughts?
This would be a massive improvement over a crap storyline.

spidertour02

Post by spidertour02 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:24 pm

funnykay wrote:That's a pretty good theory. It would be a good excuse to bring up the HobGoblin in ASM again AND finally end the shit-fest mystery that was Who is F.A.C.A.D.E
Lance Bannon was too prominent a supporting cast member to still have his death be a dangling plotline, in my opinion. It drives me nuts to this day that it was never resolved (thanks to the Clone Saga).

Funnykay
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Funnykay » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:06 am

And that's why we all hate Terry Kavanagh.
So, who's the real sicko, America? Me, for carrying out this little prank? The producers and executives at the network, who let it all happen-- or is it you people, who mindlessly watched it all on your television sets? - The Joker
No one stands on the top of the world. Not you, not me, not even Gods. But the unbearable vacancy of the throne in the sky is over. From now on...I will be sitting on it. - Sosuke Aizen
Smoking marijuana, eating Cheetos and masturbating do not constitute plans in my book. - Walter White
Look straight ahead. Look squarely at the people you're killing. And don't forget them. Never...forget them. Because they won't forget you.
- Solf J. Kimblee

MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MadGoblin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:57 pm

Hmm, while an interesting and workable solution (although considering that we were privy to F.A.C.A.D.E.'s thoughts, it didn't appear that he was working on the beshest of or under the influence of anyone - but this is comic books), the shit-fest would still be a shit-fest even if there were an answer. As much of a continuity fanboy whore that I am, and I agree that Bannon's death was stupid (where the hell was editorial?) I don't know if anything could justify reviving not only a 15 year old mystery, but a 15 year old mystery that to be honest, not really very many people even care to see resolved. Is it really worthy of a story? If it were a couple of panels, say in Roger Stern's HobGoblin Lives in 1997 as a brief recollection of Kingsley's, less than 3 years after the fact, then o.k. Besides, Kingsley deserves a better comeback story, and I think he got one in Spider-Girl (admittedly, not canon). To revive it is to dignify it, and it doesn't deserve that, much like the Daredevil story where Kevin Smith killed off Quentin Beck. Wouldn't bother me for a minute if Beck showed up alive and well with no explanation - the ultimate dismissal of a crap story. As it now stands, the "Who is F.A.C.A.D.E." tale as it is, is worthy of The Golden Turd, and a symbol of the mediocrity and stupidity that was allowed to go unchecked and unchallenged in the 1990's. Perhaps best to leave it that way.

P.S. While I thought of the Golden Turd on my own, I googled it and found that Flickr recognizes stupid pictures with this award, so I copied it thinking it appropriate for the subject at hand.