"Goblin Prince" returns with "Goblin at Rest

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

"Goblin Prince" returns with "Goblin at Rest

Post by MadGoblin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:25 am

My Goblin Prince series begins its final arc.

Goblin at Rest? Part 1
Last edited by MadGoblin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bevie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Bevie » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:07 pm

[smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]

Thank for another good article JR. You are the lonely light in my dark tunnel of Brand New Doodoo.

When I read The Child Within, it gave me conflicting emotions. On the one hand I realized it was a really well written and important tale of Peter and Harry's relationship. On the other, I found it a trifle upsetting at the same time. It seemed a wee bit overdone like you say, about Peter and him feeling responsible for his parent's deaths. Knowing now that it was originally meant for a Batman tale kind of explains it. Since having no Spider-Man to read the last four months, I've been delving into some good Batman graphic novels. Would have made a good Batman story.

Just have to say though, that Bats will NEVER replace Peter Parker in my heart. He's just a substitute till the real Pete returns. Always liked Bats, but Peter owns my heart and soul. Too bad he has no heart and soul himself at the moment.

Cheers!

Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Thanos6 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:42 pm

Another great article, JR.

You know, I've never actually read The Child Within? I've never been a fan of the Osborns, but now that your articles have gotten me interested in Harry, I think I'll go back-issue hunting this coming up Wednesday.

Good synopsis of the story; I can see why I probably would like and at the same time why you didn't think so highly of it.

Just a couple of little nitpicks:
Edward Whelan was a geneticist working for Cap's nemesis Baron Zemo (the father of the ex-Thunderbolt Zemo, if I'm not mistaken).
Actually, I think it was the current, ex-Thunderbolt Zemo, just one of many sins he's now trying to seek redemption for (Fabian Nicieza has done some truly AMAZING work with Helmut Zemo; if you haven't read the BORN BETTER miniseries, I really recommend it).

And:
Of course, Spider-Chump, er Man, decides that since Vermin was sexually abused, that excuses him from having killed and eaten people, people who had families, and who had absolutely nothing to do with Vermin's misery, so he rescues him from what would have been a firing squad. Vermin is eventually tranquilized and taken back to the institution where Dr. Kafka promises to hold him and hug him and give him sugar cookies every day.
I think you might be a little too hard here. While of course horrible sexual abuse doesn't excuse serial killing, when you combine it with, well...being turned into a rat man, I think I could at least find it understandable how the mixture could drive him completely mad and more in need of help than punishment.

Reminds me of an old She-Hulk story I've heard about, though sadly have been unable to track down to read personally, where she is able to prove in court that Morbius literally had no control over his murdering rampages of the olden days.

But otherwise, great article.

ScarletSpider1138
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by ScarletSpider1138 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:27 pm

Great article, and I'm really looking forward to your coverage of Spectacular #200.
If I just read ASM #1-38 over and over again, it's like Ditko never left... right, guys? Guys... ?

MsMarvel1
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by MsMarvel1 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:53 pm

Yay! Harry article has returned with my favorite Spidey story ... even if you don't like it. It's hard for me to read it without going "But ... but ... but ... I LOVE IT, IT'S MY CHILDHOOD!!!" :( Oh well, what can you do?

Actually, I will admit, while I found the story riveting when I was younger, it doesn't hold up as well. Super-Freudian psychoanalysis is kind of getting dated anyway. (I read a book recently, The Promise by Chaim Potok, which had pretty much the same problem.
Actually, I think it was the current, ex-Thunderbolt Zemo, just one of many sins he's now trying to seek redemption for
Just backing up the correctness of Thanos6 here. I have the issues of "The Death of Vermin" in which Baron Helmut goes to war with the freak army, who bust Vermin out of Ravencroft. The story also goes into Dr. Ashley Kafka's inner pain. If you haven't read it, J.R., I'm probably jogging your memory. If not, don't bother tracking it down because you would totally hate it.

I also agree with Thanos6 that the implication is it was the mutation which made him a crazy killer. He wasn't a crazy killer who got mutated. But I do agree that his ultimate fate does seem kind of weak overall for any of the families of the people who did die. The end of "The Death of Vermin", where Whelan just joins the staff of Ravencroft post-cure rings kind of hollow for me for that reason.

Also ...
but a man that he both knows and loves (in a non-gay way for you slashers out there).
Hey, J.M. De Matteis is the one who had Harry petting Peter's hair as he was trying to turn him insane. What was I supposed to think?

Kaine
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Kaine » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Great read. I always learn a lot of details and little stuff I missed or forgotten over the years when I read one of your articles.

Somebody
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Somebody » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:16 pm

By Life of Reilly, it was Bob Harras who insisted on the "It's about Norman & Peter" scene in PP:SM 75 (an issue which in no way deserves the epithet "classic"), not Mackie's own idea, yes?

Spideydude
Administrator
Administrator
Location: Texas Panhandle Chapter of the Crawl Space Command Center

Post by Spideydude » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Somebody wrote:By Life of Reilly, it was Bob Harras who insisted on the "It's about Norman & Peter" scene in PP:SM 75 (an issue which in no way deserves the epithet "classic"), not Mackie's own idea, yes?
Hey Somebody!

Welcome to the 'Other' board.

Thanks for pointing that out, I think that JR only had said that due to Mackie writing the issue (Or much of it at least, as I think it was mainly Tom D., Todd and Howard that pitched in to help with those issues)

SD
This Post was Brought to you by... Spideydude! Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator!
Check out My Exclusive Online SeriesCrawl Space Avengers!
CSA Member Since 2003 Delta House Member: Cyclone

JR Fettingers Marvel:I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.