2006 Year in Review Part 4

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

2006 Year in Review Part 4

Postby MadGoblin » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:20 pm

This week's update looks at Peter David's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2006 Part 4

Discuss.. [smilie=spidey_welcome.gif]
Last edited by MadGoblin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Venom65437 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:43 pm

Great stuff as usual. PAD had a lot of interesting stuff going on in FNSM, it's a shame the book had to be canned for Brand New Day. :roll:
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Thanos6 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:32 pm

Another great article, JR. I'm sorry I haven't had much to say about the last couple, but that's because I've agreed with most everything you've said. :)

Cut to �Uncle Ben,� he has no luck convincing Aunt May that he is the real thing (sort of) and starts getting a little belligerent (understandably), earning a sock in the jaw from good ole Jarvis. However, Ben�s more skilled at the art of bare knuckle brawling and flattens Jarvis.

This is the one bit of that story that bothers me. Jarvis was a two-time boxing champion of the Royal Air Force, and in his capacity as Avengers butler has dealt with thugs, supervillains, and even rampaging, Inferno-possessed machinery. I found it hard to swallow that Edwin couldn't handle another old guy.

I�ve bleated before many times how I don�t really care for Spidey stories that have a strong sci-fi slant, or involve magic (a clue as to what I thought of 2007�s Spider-Man and Red Sonja five-part snooze fest)

And this is the only thing I really disagree with. I love sci-fi and magic, and while I respect that you're not a big fan of spell-slinging, I dunno how you thought Spidey/Sonja was a snoozefest. I thought it was great. I mean, I don't like "gritty, street-level crime" stories very much, but I know good ones when I see them.

(Although I realize that this may threaten territory for your 2007 articles, so if you don't want to go into that just yet, I understand :))
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby George Berryman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:30 am

Excellent points on Davd's run.

And I also have a soft spot for Debra Whitman, just because she's fragile-as-an-eggshell and as crazy as an Arkham Asylum inmate. If it weren't cliche I'd want to see her become a troubled villain. Maybe someone who gets a symbiote attached to her and then the symbiote gets scared because of how unstable she is.
--George Berryman (Delta House Member 'Bear' - Join Us Now!),
"Old School"

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bevie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:33 pm

[smilie=spidey_dude.gif]

Another great article JR. If you ever state an opinion I disagree with, my replies may become more interesting. LOL

I really enjoyed Peter David's book compared to Amazing at the time. Also the unpronouncable writer's book. Loved all the previous cast being used and the humour included. Why they didn't sell better is beyond me.

Not buying Amazing since the devil's bargain, but the reviews and pages on the net leave me cold. I find I just don't care what this new Peter Parker is up to, what happens to him or anyone else in the book. I just don't care! Which is very sad, as my emotional attachment to the Spidey saga is now deader than a doorknob. I'll still find my Spidey, 15 or 16 years in the future, in the pages of Spider-Girl, but as for the Peter and MJ I love, there is no book for me right now. :cry:

Do you suppose our Pete and MJ will return any time in my lifetime?
Bevie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby slave83b » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:06 pm

The other two titles did a much better job of telling well rounded stories, brought back different members of the supporting cast and used them effectively, and in the case of Friendly Neighborhood remained lighter and included much more of the humor that is so often associated with the character. Folks,these are the Spider-Man stories you’ve been claiming you’ve always wanted – but these weren’t the stories you bought.

That's really the kicker, isn't it? Apart from having Peter whore it up, they were telling all the stories they've been saying they couldn't tell with the marriage. They just weren't telling them in Amazing.

Beyond the obvious, this is one of those things that makes Brand New Day such a hard pill to swallow.

Looking forward to the next article, J.R.
slave83b
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby RowdyRodimus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:30 pm

slave83b wrote:
The other two titles did a much better job of telling well rounded stories, brought back different members of the supporting cast and used them effectively, and in the case of Friendly Neighborhood remained lighter and included much more of the humor that is so often associated with the character. Folks,these are the Spider-Man stories you’ve been claiming you’ve always wanted – but these weren’t the stories you bought.

That's really the kicker, isn't it? Apart from having Peter whore it up, they were telling all the stories they've been saying they couldn't tell with the marriage. They just weren't telling them in Amazing.

Beyond the obvious, this is one of those things that makes Brand New Day such a hard pill to swallow.

Looking forward to the next article, J.R.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that EVERY book Marvel has done in the last couple of years has had to focus on what Quesada's buddies Bendis and Millar have wanted to do with their stories. First it was Civil War, so there goes over a year of stories people could care about if they didn't like the EVENT. Now, I wonder how long it's going to be before the entire schedule of Amazing is going to be about Secret Invasion?

Don't they realize that yes, they may get an extra few readers from the events, but they will lose the same number if not more people who couldn't care less about their summer events?

Just my opinion.
RowdyRodimus
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby slave83b » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:59 pm

RowdyRodimus wrote:A lot of that has to do with the fact that EVERY book Marvel has done in the last couple of years has had to focus on what Quesada's buddies Bendis and Millar have wanted to do with their stories.

Sad, but probably true.

First it was Civil War, so there goes over a year of stories people could care about if they didn't like the EVENT. Now, I wonder how long it's going to be before the entire schedule of Amazing is going to be about Secret Invasion?

Seriously? I'd say May or June, unless they plan on just ignoring it in the Spidey books, like World War Hulk.

Don't they realize that yes, they may get an extra few readers from the events, but they will lose the same number if not more people who couldn't care less about their summer events?

Just my opinion.

You're probably right, but even if they lose an established reader for every new reader that comes along, that's just a lateral move from a business standpoint. In the end, Marvel doesn't care where the sales come from as long as they get the sales.

In fact, I'd say that the powers that be tend to focus on short term sales more than the ability to sustain those sales. Sort of an instant gratification approach.

For example, look at the current nonsense surrounging One More Day and Brand New Day. For the time being, at least, Marvel doesn't seem particularly concerned with how many readers they stand to lose. While it is still too early to say what effect those stories will have on sales, it is apparent that they are more than willing to risk losing the current readers on the chance of a temporary boost in sales. I say temporary because that's just the way these things work. Even if Brand New Day succeeds, the odds of them matching, month by month, the sort of numbers they can get from riding whatever excitement and curiosity there may be regarding the new status quo are somewhere around one in... really big number. At best (from Marvel's perspective), I expect the sales to level off to more or less where they were pre-OMD, which means that apart from a short term sales boost, it would likely not have been worth angering all the fans they have.

Of course, this is hardly a new pattern. Why do you think the Clone Saga lasted as long as it did? Believe me, it wasn't just because they couldn't figure out how to end the damn thing. Rather, it was because the Mighty Marvel Marketers saw the reaction to the early stories and decided they could just milk it indefinately.

And we all know how well that worked out.
slave83b
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Wichmann » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:04 pm

These are the comics we want to see... but we won't buy them? Hmm, I guess that's true. But it's also because "amazing" is seen as the "main" title. So you really know to know what's a good story, before you can read it. And I think readers tend to pick what seems most essential (which is why the Spiderman/Human Torch miniseries problably didn't sell so well either. But I don't feel responsible, 'cause I bought it).
Wichmann
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer