2006 Year in Review Part 3

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Postby MadGoblin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:41 pm

Sigh. After last week, this feels like a real letdown. But they all can't be THE MOST IMPORTANT COLUMN EVER. And there is still a couple of years of comics to catch up on - hence

This week its the New Avengers and Sensational Spider-Man.
Last edited by MadGoblin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CrazyChris » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:09 pm

Not a let down at all. In fact, I really enjoyed this one because I agreed with your opinions on all of the stories you covered (unlike Civil War). I liked RAS' Sensational run too.

So ... the Aunt May issue in Sensational then? Very interesting choice. I found the Civil War unmasking story more exciting at the time, but now that we have more perspective I think you might be right about that.
CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby SheriffOfCoffeeTown » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:02 pm

I was disappointed by Spidey's use in the New Avengers, although I simply may have expected too much. Perhaps I'm just cynical; I'd hoped Peter, while never being the focus of a story in that title, would be portrayed only below Iron Man and Captain America in terms of abilities. He clearly had the most experience outside of those two (With the exception of Logan, who didn't stick around too long), yet he was constantly just...there, really.

"Feral" may have been overlong (and in my opinion, would have been better served by having the painted art on all of the interiors), but it did provide one of my favorite bits of banter from Peter in a long time. "Off to hunt the Lizard! Have fun storming the castle, sweetie!" Yet another cute bit of Peter and MJ's relationship that we may never see again, alas.

I agree with your assessment of Liz, by the way. All things considered, her life is about as messed-up as Peter's, himself. I'd love to have seen this part of her storyline continued, but of course, that's gone, too.

As a side note, the MJ dream sequence had one of my favorite Spidey pictures ever: the villains montage spread was awesome. The mere fact that the Hobgoblin was ready to rock made it great by itself.
SheriffOfCoffeeTown
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Thanos6 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:58 am

SheriffOfCoffeeTown wrote:As a side note, the MJ dream sequence had one of my favorite Spidey pictures ever: the villains montage spread was awesome. The mere fact that the Hobgoblin was ready to rock made it great by itself.

That's currently my wallpaper.
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby nothlit86 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:14 am

do you ever get the feeling they just put spidey on the avengers so that when they did stuff like marvel adventures avengers they could put spider-man in the stories without any fuss?
nothlit86
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby George Berryman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:22 am

nothlit86 wrote:do you ever get the feeling they just put spidey on the avengers so that when they did stuff like marvel adventures avengers they could put spider-man in the stories without any fuss?

I get the feeling they put Spidey in the New Avengers to boost its sales and make it more accepted after Avengers: Disassembled.
--George Berryman (Delta House Member 'Bear' - Join Us Now!),
"Old School"

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CrazyChris » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:26 pm

It was to boost sales and because Bendis got to hand-pick his favorite characters, and Marvel doesn't say no to Bendis.
CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Jim Yost » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:03 pm

Loved the article. Couldnt agree more with the praise heaped on Sacasa... Especially his handling of Felicia. Honestly, the REALITY of her portrayal as the ex-who's-still-important and the way she and MJ relate to one another is something I'll probably miss more than the marriage itself. Or maybe my life having similar players just makes me biased.
"He's... out... of... his... mind!!!"
(BLAM!!!)
Jim Yost
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby MadGoblin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:45 pm

Jim Yost wrote:Or maybe my life having similar players just makes me biased.

Next on "Wouldn't You Want to be Jim?" a smokin' hot red head and a smokin' hot platinum blond who likes to dress in tight black spandex via for Jim's affections. But remember, according to Marvel - that makes Jim a loser that we can all relate to! [smilie=greengoblin.gif]
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bevie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Oh JR, I enjoyed this article more than anything since OMD.(Yuck) Thank goodness for you!

You made me laugh and you made me cry. That's emotional involvement which I no longer feel for the new Peter Parker. And no, I'm not buying the books until the marriage is restored. All I have to do to find out what's going on is just zip around on the net.

All those wonderful relationship moments you wrote about, now will all be missing. No Pete & MJ, MJ & Felicia, Pete & Felicia, Pete & anyone, since no one knows his secret now. The new stories seem to me like a beautifully wrapped birthday present, and when you open the box, its empty!! The very guts of the saga have been ripped right out.

But us marriage fans still have you. [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]
Bevie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Jim Yost » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:42 pm

MadGoblin wrote:Next on "Wouldn't You Want to be Jim?" a smokin' hot red head and a smokin' hot platinum blond who likes to dress in tight black spandex via for Jim's affections. But remember, according to Marvel - that makes Jim a loser that we can all relate to! [smilie=greengoblin.gif]

HAHAH!

Wow, I may have misrepresented a bit... I meant just that I'm still tight with many of my ex's, and my wife is varying degrees of friendly towards and wary of them.

But thanks for givin me the benefit of the doubt! I think I pull off the relateable loser thing fairly well [smilie=spidey_dude.gif]
"He's... out... of... his... mind!!!"
(BLAM!!!)
Jim Yost
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Seedle » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:00 am

Great article. It was good to see some positive commentary after the last few were so negative. And that's not a dig. You just called them like virtually everyone in comics fandom saw them. Not your fault nearly everything Spidey has been bad for the last few years. Just saying it's good there were some good stories during this time.

I read those Sensational issues in the trade and really enjoyed them. I do have a couple of comments though. First, I found Mary Jane's parting comment to Sue Storm in issue #32: "You all have super powers. I don't" or something to that effect, interesting. I can't think of another hero in the Marvel universe that's married to a non-hero, but I'm sure you veterans can think of some. It's also interesting as an (almost assuredly coincidental) hint that Jackpot is indeed Mary-Jane.

Second, the Felicia Hardy issue was great, and not just for fanboys. Although I can't really consider myself a complete newbie to Spiderman, I'm not a veteran of the comic either, and I thought the issue was really good. As long as the story can stand on its own, (and this one does), references to the past in my opinion only increase the attraction of a book. It reveals hints about the characters (and attachment to characters is ultimately what drives interest in any serialized story-now why can't marvel learn this freakin lesson?Image) that generate a reason to go back and find old issues and read them. After you do that, you can come back to stories like this one and appreciate them on a whole new level. What it comes down to is Marvel doesn't seem to understand what kind of people really get into comic books. They seem to want to appeal to the mass market, or at least the mass teenage market, but it ain't gonna happen. Not even if you get them back in gas stations, grocery stores, and wal-greens. GEEKS read comic books. They enjoy continuity. The enjoy having arguments about thing like whether Aquaman can talk to penguins. They enjoy having complex alternate universes that reward study and thought. They enjoy having books that can be read and enjoyed on multiple levels, and re-read in a new light with new perspective. (And they, especially the middle school age ones, generally enjoy heroes they can relate to and at the same time fantasize about being. A perfect hero for these kids would be a hero who was geeky and nerdy in real life, but competent and successful, but not perfect, as a hero. And if he had a healthy relationship with an attractive woman, well that would just put the icing on the pre-teen power fantasy cake. Now, where might I find a hero like that?(end rant))(And I didn't make that description up to fit Peter Parker/Spiderman. I made it up because I believe it, and spidey just happens to fit the bill. Maybe there is a reason he is one of the most successful characters in popular fiction. Just sayin. (Really end rant.))

Summation for those who couldn't follow my ravings: This story had history and depth. People who are going to like comic books generally like history and depth. Hence, this story is not off putting for new readers, at least the ones who will actually become regular readers of a comic book.

And even if I'm wrong, what the hell is wrong with giving the fanboys an issue once in awhile?

I also really enjoyed the characterization of Felicia in the comic. And I kind of thought that alot of her thoughts about her behavior over the years, and the reasons for it, served the double purpose of not only reflecting her thoughts, but reflecting the authors thoughts, directed at other writers, on how she should be written. There was one thought in particular, something to the effect of "I don't need to just be the sex-crazed psycho ex-girlfriend" that I really thought was directed at the reader. It was very clever how it was done to both make sense as self-analysis on Felicia's part and as commentary on the character and her handling over the years.

And while I'm at it, when did Felicia take down Sabretooth? Doesn't he go toe-to-toe with Wolverine? Cause I like Felicia and all, but I'm not seeing her as being on Wolvie's level. I want to see exactly how she pulled that off.
Though I must bide my time, await my moment, harbour my secrets and find out what is a truffle.Image -Lancer, Apolyton Forums
Seedle
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 am

Crazy Chris - oh, so you think you know what I have in mind for Sensational #33 - eh? Damn, I've gotten too predictable in my advancing middle age.

Sherriff/Thanos - I have got to incorporate that HobGoblin shot in my Squandered Legacy series somehow. And I think the writers missed some opportunities for conflict and drama JM DeMatteis hinted at between Liz and her evil father in law.

Bevie - You're good for my ego. But you're also right - Joe Q wants the soap opera back - how much more soap opera can you get with three women battling for the soul of Peter Parker - his "mom," his wife, and his kinky ex-girlfriend? Lot more interesting to me than "let's try to get Peter laid this week."

Seedle - Good perspective - that of a new fan who still appreciated the Felicia story even if he wasn't around when they first happened. Felicia took down Sabertooth in Spectacular Spider-Man #119 (I think) - the issue's about 20 years old. I don't think Sabertooth was at his best in that story, but as with "Feral" it highlighted Felicia's natural ferocity that makes her such a good "bad" girl.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derishton » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Another great article ... "Spidey Kicks Butt" is quickly becoming a favorite site.

Seedle wrote:I read those Sensational issues in the trade and really enjoyed them. I do have a couple of comments though. First, I found Mary Jane's parting comment to Sue Storm in issue #32: "You all have super powers. I don't" or something to that effect, interesting. I can't think of another hero in the Marvel universe that's married to a non-hero, but I'm sure you veterans can think of some. It's also interesting as an (almost assuredly coincidental) hint that Jackpot is indeed Mary-Jane.

I came here immediately after reading the essay, in large part to say exactly this. I don't know if that comment is coincidental, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that MJ's whispered request to Mephisto was rooted in exactly that moment of realization.
Derishton
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Wichmann » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:56 pm

They should have just stuck with ... uh ... spanish guy whose name I can't recall ... telling "normal" quality stories. Thay way they could have kept Spidey going on for years more, without having to alter that much. The only reason they couldn't get "back to basics" in the current continuity, was that massive events, characters deaths and all that kept coming in the way. It's like they never understood, that when you find yourself in a hole STOP DIGGING. They really had something going, and then they had to change everything, even though there already was a modicum of "normality" allowing for those generic stories it seems like Marvel wants to publish...
Wichmann
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer