SKB Update - One More Day

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Postby twillard » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:08 pm

nothlit86 wrote:I think mj should have taken the bullet personally, and mephisto could have given peter the chance to save her if the marriage was forgotten, that premise would have made PERFECT sense.

That was exactly my feeling as well. They could have even had mephisto let mj remember what happened (but be unable to tell anyone) just as a way to torment her a bit.
twillard
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby The Black Cat » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:02 pm

MadGoblin, I have said it before, but really Marvel would be better off hiring you as the EIC.
"Spider Darling, don't you know what Tikis really stand for in Tahiti?"
The Black Cat
Webslinger
Webslinger

Location: cozying up to Spider at the Delta Tau Chi House as Cougar

Postby Kevin Cushing » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:42 pm

The Black Cat wrote:MadGoblin, I have said it before, but really Marvel would be better off hiring you as the EIC.

Damn skippy...especially because he would be smart enough to hire me 8)
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey
Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby slave83b » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:45 pm

Morbius wrote:
The Black Cat wrote:MadGoblin, I have said it before, but really Marvel would be better off hiring you as the EIC.

Hey, I'd just be happy to have an EIC who actually understood the flagship character.
slave83b
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Spideydude » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:27 am

Morbius wrote:

Me too...
This Post was Brought to you by... Spideydude! Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator!
Check out My Exclusive Online SeriesCrawl Space Avengers!
CSA Member Since 2003 Delta House Member: Cyclone

JR Fettingers Marvel:I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.

Spideydude
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Texas Panhandle Chapter of the Crawl Space Command Center

Postby BD » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:18 am

Spideydude wrote:
Morbius wrote:

Me too...

What about me!??!?!?

Also JR, you have to be getting a big head! This is one of the longest threads I've ever seen and it filled up fast. I think they like you, they really like you!
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Venom65437 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:53 am

Hey, JR is da man!
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby George Berryman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:35 am

Venom65437 wrote:Hey, JR is da man!

He's probably forgotten more about Spider-Man than some of us will ever know.

Fettinger is to Spider-Man what Yoda is to the force. Well except that he can't use Spider-Man to throw things through the air or to choke people to death or briefly mind control them. But other than all that yeah.
--George Berryman (Delta House Member 'Bear' - Join Us Now!),
"Old School"

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby spider-man marriage » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:37 pm

JR: I'm new to the site seeming as though I've heard it many times on the site. Yes after you use the first pumpkin bomb with George you can come round mine to but your articles are really fantastic. There are some very nice jokes you put in their and I look forward to your next article.
PS: This is my 3rd post- do I get anything? :wink:
spider-man marriage
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby nothlit86 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:16 pm

I wasn't gonna buy brand new day but apparently I still have four issues to go with my subscription so I figured what the hey.

J.R. was right. For those that haven't read this yet, you might as well go pick up an issue of marvel adventures. Everything feels stock, and it's made worse by the fact that since years of character development has been nulled, these feel like cookie cutter characters.
nothlit86
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:36 am

Wow - some many posts and so little time - although this has more to do with the controversial nature of the story more than any assessments of mine. My e-mail is backing up too. Still it's good to have this much action in the forum. Thanks one and all and let's see here:

One of my e-mails had another very good theory on why OMD/BND is happening - I'll add it as an addendum to my original article this weekend.

Spider-Man Marriage - You mean the experience of being part of this little community isn't enough? :D

Black Cat - Sometimes I do wonder if I'm one of the few who does this sort of thing but is NOT looking to get a job in the industry. Mostly because I realize how BAD I would be at it. I don't think I could write comics because there's more skill required for that than ranting and raving on the net. I'm a terrible manager, I'd cancel half the line, ban crossovers and big events, and thus probably doom the company. But, since we're playing what if, I could hire Brad to be Santa Claus and have him give kids free Spidey comics every Christmas (due to his experience in the role), I could hire Morb to write Morbius, but he'd have to alter continuity to make it conform with the Max Schrek Morbius that appeared in Spectacular Spider-Man a few years ago. :wink: And I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.

Twillard and Notlit86 - I agree, it would have made much more sense for MJ to be the shooting victim, but that still has all of the problems that a "deal with the devil" has - you still always having the losing hand no matter what. It's just a dumb thing to do and MJ would not have wanted him to do it any more than May would. But it's magic so it doesn't have to make sense.

Thanos6 - I don't think Joe cares how many people don't like what happened because he doesn't believe that enough will quit buying Amazing Spider-Man to make a difference.

Bevie - Of course I remember you! I'm glad you decided to jump in and join the community. I understand that there are a lot of other boards in which newer posters or those with disparate opinions are treated poorly, but Brad and the other guys don't allow that here. Comments like yours are why I still do these articles. I've thought about going weekly (or more likely 3 times a month), but that means that each week's article would have to be shorter, and the part numbers would really pile up (the Year in Review Part 42!) although when I archive them I consolidate them - if you notice, for example - Goblin Prince went from 10 or 11 parts to 3. And I may try to stay a little more topical, for example, and do a review of the first Brand New Arc around the second week of February after I get my monthly shipment.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Cap "N" spide » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:21 pm

I just read your article this morning J.R. an excellent anaylisis of where we stand..i had just read ASM 546 on weds and i thought well this is ok excellent art but it feels stale, recycled..feels like spiderman in the 70's.

After reading your article i can see why marvel wants a stock characther, stock setting, stock villians ect. Almost as if spidey were plug and play.

Am i mad at marvel...no not really they are in it to make money if they feel a single peter parker makes more money its thier business not mine.

i will miss the marriage but like others have said i am not angry just sad, for me i'll continue to buy spidergirl hope that one day a new EiC comes along who likes the marriage.

I must say the new peter parker is not the one i know..not the selfless moral chara i grew up reading..this guy... well i've not read enough of him to make a true judgement.

thanks again madgoblin entertaining as always.
Cap "N" spide
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby The_Hypnotoad » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:23 pm

A quote from your Secret Identity article

"I haven't a clue - you'll have to ask Joey Q. But it should be. I didn't say I wanted it to be permanent. But it should be. Anything less is a dramatic copout. The god Loki returning the "favor" he owed Spider-Man as a result of assisting in the rescue of his daughter in Amazing Spider-Man #504 (April 2004), a massive mindwipe by Dr. Strange, spinning the earth backwards, travelling in time, rebooting the Marvel Universe, Superboy punching through a wall - all of these are out and out cheats. Admittedly, they would be perfectly logical within the context of how the Marvel Universe operates, but they would be dramatically lazy."

Honestly, any one of those would have made more sense (well, maybe not the superboy one) than the devil will take your marraige in return for your aunt may. What interests me the most now is what Mephisto does with it. I forsee a future summer crossover where the Initaitive and Spider-Man fights Mephisto in a battle that will change the Marvel Universe forever. Again.
The_Hypnotoad
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby mosrite_mecha » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:30 pm

Well, I've been reading SKB for a while but never posted, so I guess an event as catastrophic as this is as good a time as any to introduce myself. (Maybe now you will get that nickel, Madgoblin.) Here's my take on the matter.

I'm 22, so I'm probably not what Marvel is trying to reel in, but I AM young enough to remember quite clearly when I was that young and what my feelings about Spider-Man were then.

I was actually introduced to Spidey by my dad, like a lot of people here have said. He loved the books when he was a kid, but eventually stopped reading them. He's not a comic book nerd at all, and never took me to comic book shops or anything, but he did make a point of getting me some reiusses of old Lee/Ditkno era comics when I was very young, and I absolutely loved them—yes, a kid growing up in the early 90s could still absolutely love tales like the original Lizard story, no matter how dated they may have seemed.

It wasn't until later when the Fox Kids animated series came out that I really developed the deep affection I have for the character now, though. That series was what introduced me to the standard cast of Spidey characters and his most important enemies, but more importantly it was what made me understand how deeply powerful his story really was, since I was able to see it play out in grand sweeping fashion over the course of the show's various seasons.

Now, here's what I think is the real kicker. At that age, I think I can honestly say that my absolute favorite thing about the show was Peter's relationship with MJ. I wanted them to get married quite badly, and even my sister enjoyed the show for this reason and this reason alone (it is also the main reason why she loves the live action movies). I distinctly remember the episode where Peter unmasks himself to MJ and how my sister and I both literally gasped (of course the power of that scene was diminished when it was lamely retconned at the end of the series, but I still love that moment).

At any rate, I've been reading the Essential collections as they come out, and it's made me increasingly interested in trying to follow the current story. The only problem is that I've been glancing through newer Spider-Man issues on and off for years, every time I've been in a comic book store, and I've found them consistently distasteful. Part of it is that I just generally do not like modern comic book art very much, at least for the most part. But even aside from that, it never really grabbed me the way the older ones did.

But, I was reading stuff about how good JS's run on the series was turning out to be (including some great stuff on Spidey Kicks Butt) and I was really set to start trying to stick with it. It happened one day when I was in my local comic book shop picking up the newest issue of Transformers, and I saw it sitting there and I thought, you know what? What the hell.

You know which one I picked up? The first issue of One More Day. All I can say is I've never been do disappointed in my life. I mean, I didn't actually know where this was going, because I don't follow the comic industry that closely anymore and I didn't actually know about Joe Q's hatred of the marriage until I started reading about all this drivel, so it was a shock to me. But all the way through I was thinking, "What is all this? Is this the great stuff JS has supposedly been doing for the series? Why would I want to read 20 pages of Peter Parker yelling at Dr. Strange like an obnoxious little twat? Is that supposed to interest me in some way?"

So, I guess what I'm really trying to say is, from the perspective of someone who may have been on the verge of becoming a new reader, congratulations, Joe Quesada. You have turned me away quite soundly.
mosrite_mecha
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby PBR » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:07 pm

After reading MadGoblins article I've come up with a conspiracy theory; was OMD deliberately bad?!

Think about it, if MG is right and there is a higher agenda at work behind the scenes which includes accepting that as a consequence some fans will be lost, I'm tempted to believe that Marvel thinks less fans will be lost with a crappy story that makes people angry than with a fabulous piece of art that works as a climax and send off to the marriage of Peter and Mary Jane, as such a story would be the perfect jumping off point for anyone who doesn't like the change.

Perhaps I'm just trying to rationalise how OMD managed to suck so much. I mean as MadGoblin wrote, its like it was written by people who have no idea who the main character is, when its been obvious in the past that JMS and JQ are both talented people who do know Peter Parker.

Bah, I'm actually in favour of the change as I think it will offer new creator/story potential, but it was just SO ham-fistedly done that, well its turned me into a conspiracy nut!
PBR
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer