SKB Update - One More Day

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

twillard
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by twillard » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:16 pm

I read spidey solid in the 1980s skipped most of the 90s and thus avoided the clone saga, but got back into it with JMS and a Peter Parker like the one I remembered when I was younger.

It isn't a question of how old he is or whether he is married. The question is whether Peter, while making mistakes, is heroic.

One more day might have been acceptable if it was Mary Jane solely making a choice, as that would have been a heroic sacrifice. But as you say MadGoblin, Peter has never been as selfish as he seems in OMD

I think the answer for me will be to focus on Spidergirl, which has both youth and continuity.

Derishton
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Derishton » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 pm

I think it was best leaving it a vaguely mutual decision by the Parkers, because making it solely MJ's choice would have been a classic rhetorical move designed not to make MJ noble, but to make her complicit. How could we argue with MJ's own decision? It's not Joe, it was MJ! (My MJ, for the record, would have fought tooth and nail - and you believe some of the internet theories, actually is.)

One of the few saving graces here is that both characters are sullied, and therefore it's more likely that they'll need to be redeemed eventually (when many refuse to "just look forward").

twillard
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by twillard » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:43 pm

I meant to mention that when I went to join spiderman crawl space today, one of the questions I was asked to make sure I was a real human being was

Who is Spider-man married to?

I was stumped for a moment.

I did put down "Mary Jane"

So even if Marvel doesn't know the TRUTH, the Crawlspace does.

Itsjustme
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Itsjustme » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm sixteen so at least I'm allowed to be pissed.
It's always Norman Osborn. Even if that's impossible. Even if he's dead at the time. If Spider-man gets a hangnail, its Norman Osborn.

Derishton
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Derishton » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:53 pm

I got the Mary Jane question too. :lol: Although I had to try several times, because it wouldn't accept my answers ...

Sheephead
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Sheephead » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:30 pm

Liked the article JR, as always.

I think the payoff from the unmasking has been pretty abysmal. Marvel got a lot of publicity off the back of it, and then decide to just undo it, and also undo the marriage?

So not only are they pissing off the older, hardcore pro-marriage fans, they're also pissing off people who may have started reading or regained interest from a recent high profile storyline by undoing it in such a bogus way?

Yeah, that makes a LOT of sense! :roll:

Also, I think most of the target demographic can relate more to a married couple than to someone with a recovering drug addict as a best friend.

Bevie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Bevie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:14 pm

I was trying to get my reply in the right thread. Trying again. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:50 pm Post subject: Another great article JR
Hi JR

Emailed you a couple of times and we had a little back and forth some time ago. You probably don't remember but I signed myself Spidey's oldest lady fan or something like that. We both were not fond of Ultimate Spidey and I gave you the issue in which Spidey put a warning light on his web shooters. I had to share that honour with another though. Haha! I was so proud!

Your article was great as usual. In one spot though, I think you used the word 'scared' instead of 'sacred'. LOL

Is there no hope for us at all? I keep trying to think that maybe this will all go away like the clone saga did.

Anyway, if it doesn't, I hope you know that you will just have to write your articles a little bit faster to keep my Spider appetite filled. Really, I appreciate what you do on your site so very much. If you put them all in a book I'd buy it in a second.

So until and if this mess is RETCONNED again, I'll stick with Spider-Girl and Stan's newspaper strip as those are the only places now to find the true responsible Peter Parker that I love dearly. I'm still MAD ! :evil: :evil:

Bevie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Bevie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:45 pm

I've been touring all the boards now for days, hoping to find so much backlash to give me a little hope this will be corrected sometime in the future. Hopefully, before I kick the bucket and not see it! LOL

I get annoyed with all the "Pete can't marry a Supermodel"garbage you see from some posters. Geez. I wish they never had written that in the books. Can't remember who it was at first. Was it Michelinie?

Sometimes I think that Joe Q never really read a Spidey comic, but probably skipped over all the relationships stuff to get to the ACTION! BIFF! BAM! because Peter Parker was never a swinger. Every girl he went with, he contemplated marriage with. Betty. Gwen. Felicia. MJ. And a loser? Give me a break! He might have had hard luck, but he never had a loser attitude at all. He kept going and going even though things mostly never turned out in his favour. Oh, he'd be angsty when things went wrong, but I never saw him like he appears on the pages of BND. Such a slacker!

I suppose Joe mandated the remark Ï'm too young to get married". Since he wanted Pete to be sucking face with some broad on the first page just to let us faithful readers know what a cool kid Petey is now. I take it as an insult myself. Not classy Joe. I suppose he'll be going with his buddies to strip clubs, like pics of Joe himself I've seen. Bring on the bimbos!

I was a little disappointed to find you a little big resigned to all this, but in your later posts I see your outrage may have been rekindled a bit?

Me, I'm still so angry I could spit. What a lousy way to end our Peter and MJ's story. They could at least have done it so they could have a happy ending for all us old fogeys and then rebooted it for the throngs of kids just salivating to get hold of the unmarried guy's book. That should have been what they did because this Peter Parker and MJ who were in OMD 4 and BND 1 are not the same people that I am emotionally attached to.
Character assassination I say!

I have to say I've seldom read anybody's posts I agree with more than George Berrymans. He's all over the net. Read some idiotic post on a board and voila! there is George answering and putting them right just below.

So JR, please don't give up the good fight! Rage on.

Pete and MJ forever! :cry:

shakymits
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by shakymits » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:55 pm

But as the MadGoblin and pages of (Batman, Detective Comics, Nightwing, Robin , JLA, etc.) remind us...Bruce Wayne is just a screwed up facade...so of course he chases a different chick in each bats flick

taechunsa
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by taechunsa » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:59 pm

Well, I guess that I posted my reply in the wrong place.

JR, excellent article, and whether you meant to or not you did me a world of good. I, like so many others, saw the end of the marriage coming a long time ago. However, to do so in such a craptacular way was inexcusable. It was a complete middle finger to every Spider-Man reader out there, and that angered me. Yet you are right in the grand scheme of things is it worth my anger?

No. Why? Because the more that I complain the more that I stir up conversation and the more that Joe Q gets out of all this. It is informative that he went on the Howard Stern show, since I consider him in the exact same category of shock jock. He lives and dies by people loving or hating him and I refuse to contribute by hating him.

Heck, in a small way I am glad that he did what he did. Because now I have an excuse to not hate him. I have an excuse to not care about him. Hating him and Marvel is a waste of my energy. Besides the worst thing that I can do to them is simply to stop caring. After all the opposite of love is not hate it is indifference.

I am considering the Spider-Man story over. It is done. The heroes, Peter and MJ sacrificed themselves to the devil to save May. It is a sad but heroic (although grossly stupid) end. At least that is how I am going to think of it.

So excellent article. I look forward to seeing what you think of the new stories. But I will not care to see what Marvel does. I can get the jist from well written stories, like the ones on SKB.

Oh and for those of you who are asking if you are too old. The answer is yes. If you know enough to ask then Marvel considers you too old. At least maturity wise. As one poster said, it is less about age and more about intelligence. They want fans who simply pay their money for any dribble that they pump out complaining is acceptable as long as they continue to buy.

For those Disney fans I wonder if the weasly little boss in the Incredibles wasn't based on Marvel execs. "Complaints I can handle. You are costing us money."

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by BD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:08 am

twillard wrote:I meant to mention that when I went to join spiderman crawl space today, one of the questions I was asked to make sure I was a real human being was

Who is Spider-man married to?

I was stumped for a moment.

I did put down "Mary Jane"

So even if Marvel doesn't know the TRUTH, the Crawlspace does.
Ha,ha I forgot that was one of the random questions! LOL
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by George Berryman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:11 am

BD wrote:Ha,ha I forgot that was one of the random questions! LOL
Leave it... ! 8)
--George Berryman (Delta House Member 'Bear' - Join Us Now!),
"Old School"

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by BD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:13 am

I just changed it to
Who is Spider-Man's wife/girlfriend?
Mary Jane
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:25 am

What I find amusing about this whole debacle (I have to find SOMETHING amusing; "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane," as Jimmy Buffett says) is that Quesada pissed off not just the pro-marriage camp, but also a lot of the neutral and even anti-marriage camp who would have wanted this handled much better.

nothlit86
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by nothlit86 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:19 am

well the reason this goes beyond pissing people off because of the marriage is, as jr has pointed out, the horrible handling of the character of peter parker. It's hard to root for a character this selfish. And there were a billion other ways to end the marriage, even within this storyline. I think mj should have taken the bullet personally, and mephisto could have given peter the chance to save her if the marriage was forgotten, that premise would have made PERFECT sense.