SKB Update - One More Day

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

SKB Update - One More Day

Postby MadGoblin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:28 pm

One More Day

'Nuff said.
Last edited by MadGoblin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby George Berryman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:51 pm

Reading now... !
--George Berryman (Delta House Member 'Bear' - Join Us Now!),
"Old School"

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MsMarvel1 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:40 pm

Good work, Madgoblin. I've kind of resigned myself to being a dinosaur by this point. I plan to write my own "end of the story" and not read anymore. (But I'll read your stuff; you're all right.)

One goofy criticism: I think the "love and marriage" is pure plotline is more like one of those things you see on those "Inspirational Fiction" (i.e. Christian) novels, like by Karen Kingsbury, with white people in modest clothes in soft focus and pastel on the cover.

Chick Lit is not very much like Harlequin. In Chick Lit it's usually some 20-something girl, caught between romance/friends and her up-and-coming career, and then she realizes that romance/friends is better than her up-and-coming career and she should stop working for that awful bitch and make the right choices already. Your friend wouldn't have gotten drunk and crashed her car if you HADN'T BEEN SO FOCUSED ON YOUR CAREER!!! (God, I hated The Devil Wears Prada.)

Harlequin is weird freaky stuff with secret babies and sexy, ethnic millionaires and sexy, ethnic millionaires impregnating women with secret babies. I haven't touched these because they scared me.

I'm sorry. I worked in a bookstore. I get weird about this stuff.
MsMarvel1
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Jim Yost » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Bravo, once again.

I've got to hand it to you, you actually defused what was left of my righteous fury, and I am now left with a simple bad taste in my mouth.

I'm stayin away from buying new floppies, as part of the X% they feel they can do without, but you raise many a good point.

Shame about the Ultimate books, though - but I think you may be right.

Which leads me to wonder:

If the Marvel books adopt the "Peanuts" model, it renders Marvel Adventures unnecessary..

Maybe ULTIMATE Spider-Man soldiers on, but now it's allowed to accumulate continuity, becoming the very thing it was created to not be?

I dunno. More than likely not.
"He's... out... of... his... mind!!!"
(BLAM!!!)
Jim Yost
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Venom65437 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:04 pm

I have to go to work now, but I'll read it as soon as I get home!
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Bevie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Geez! I posted my reply in the wrong place.

Sorry about that. A newbie you know.

Don't know much about posting yet. :oops:
Bevie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby shakymits » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:45 pm

The Chick Lit comment was funny...no matter what Harlequin means...

And the whole point of the self-less PP with truly selfish behavior throughout the SL embodied my frustration in the end...

I've been reading your articles for more than half of year...always good...u got me back into comics even when I was told at 26 I'm too old to be reading those "funny books"
shakymits
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby CrazyChris » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Good review. I agree about everything except that I am angry about OMD. Marvel's rubbing my emotional and monetary investment in the character I've been following for my entire life in my face. And I'm the demographic they're supposedly targeting, not some old fogey!

What's in store for the 21st? Something you like? I haven't heard or read you praising something in a while.
CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby nothlit86 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:41 pm

I couldn't have agreed with you more about the biggest thing getting kids into the comic shop being parents and older folks. I started reading comics at around age 12 because my dad had five or six long boxes and it was the one thing we could connect on....I remember we'd watch that 90s xmen cartoon together and then lay on the floor of my folks' bedroom and read comics. You're not a dinosaur, you're intelligent. Quesada doesn't want an audience made of kids, he wants an audience with the maturity level of a bunch of kids. The biggest draw point of comics for me WAS the rich history when I was 12, so I guess even no matter what age I am marvel hates me....
nothlit86
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Venom65437 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:05 pm

Ok I finally read it. First I really appreciate being mentioned in the article. Easily the highlight of my day! :lol:

Anyway, I basically agree with you; but I am angry. Marvel has basically told all of us long time fans screw you. Sure the IDEA of getting younger people into comics is nice, but like you said, where are they gonna come from? It beats the shit out of me...
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby MadGoblin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:12 pm

George - any thoughts?

Ms. Marvel - I thought what you said made sense and actually changed the reference - but the more I read it, it just seems the Chick Lit comment is funnier even if not technically accurate. I'll stew on it a little more.

Jim - I don't know that I want to defuse anyone's righteous fury - we may need it to set things straight again!

Venom65437 - :D - that old Peter David joke is going to be your calling card!

Bevie - What - you don't want to hang out here with us?

Shakymits - thank you - you're reaffirmed why I stick with doing these articles. I just hope that Spidey will be worth staying around for...things don't look so hot now...

CrazyChris - the 21st will be back to the 2006 Year in Review unless something else comes up. And trust me, I did like some of the stuff - just not what was in Amazing!

Nothlit86 - welcome to the Crawlspace! Glad your first post was here (I think Brad will give me a nickel for it). You're right, though, I think part of Spider-Man's appeal is the mythology as a whole, as cumbersome and contradictory as it can get sometime. That's why I think this whole thing has to be about more than just getting "young people" back - that might be a lost cause and they know it...

Thank you all for your comments and for taking the time to read this week's ramblings!
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby nothlit86 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:24 pm

actually it isn't my first post, for some reason my old account was on hold, but I don't even remember making it (cleff00x) and I didn't feel like getting an admin to fix it.
nothlit86
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Itsjustme » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:34 pm

Excellent article. This seems like another misguided attempt to bring spidey back to the days when marvel felt he's was a hip, swinging bachlelor dating a bevy of beautiful women (although for the life of me I can't figure out when this happened :roll: ) I mean they've tryed before and have grown increasingly less sneaky (not that they were ever all that sneaky about it) until we reach the point when the story has the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the forehead. Really, was there any point to this story besides the end of the marriage? That what gets me the most. In fact I think I would be happier if Marvel wrote us a note saying: OK, now kids, were going to pretend its the 80's HUZZAH! Also as part of this younger demographic Marvel is trying to reach I have to say we never read spider-man when he was single. In fact one thing I realized from my few experinces with other comic book readers is that most kids start reading comics because an adult introduces them to them. Any way got that off my chest. I am interested in BND and again really enjoyed the article as always. Think you hit the nail on the head.
It's always Norman Osborn. Even if that's impossible. Even if he's dead at the time. If Spider-man gets a hangnail, its Norman Osborn.
Itsjustme
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:43 pm

nothlit86 wrote:actually it isn't my first post, for some reason my old account was on hold, but I don't even remember making it (cleff00x) and I didn't feel like getting an admin to fix it.

There goes my nickel...

And I just saw this over at
The New York Post

The real corker is this from Joe Q in reference to the page 1 splash of Peter Parker kissing some unknown hot chick..

"The first page is a real shocker and it's done on purpose. It's a bit of a slap of reality to longtime readers," said Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada.

I'm feeling a full, throaty "F**k You, Too!" rising to the surface. So much for not getting mad...
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Venom65437 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:12 am

MadGoblin wrote:
nothlit86 wrote:actually it isn't my first post, for some reason my old account was on hold, but I don't even remember making it (cleff00x) and I didn't feel like getting an admin to fix it.

There goes my nickel...

And I just saw this over at
The New York Post

The real corker is this from Joe Q in reference to the page 1 splash of Peter Parker kissing some unknown hot chick..

"The first page is a real shocker and it's done on purpose. It's a bit of a slap of reality to longtime readers," said Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada.

I'm feeling a full, throaty "F**k You, Too!" rising to the surface. So much for not getting mad...

GET ANGRY JR! LET THE GOBLIN OUT!!
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger