ALPHA REVEALED! Spider-Man to gain a teenage sidekick in ASM#692

WELL! It looks as though Spider-Man will be gaining a new partner in his neverending battle against obscenely dressed 40 somethings.

Fox Nation this morning reported that in “Amazing Spider-Man #692”, Peter Parker will encounter 15 year old Andy Maguire and take him under his wing in a story not unlike “Amazing Fantasy #15”. EIC Axel Alonso said this:

“He’s older, more seasoned, but young at heart. He’s still a young man, but he’s been around. It’s interesting because it flips the paradigm. Teen hero Spider-Man is now responsible for this teen hero sidekick. He’s responsible because one of his inventions caused this kid to get his powers. He’s directly responsible for the responsibility this kid now has with his new powers. He feels he has a responsibility to make sure this kid walks the right path, which won’t prove easy.”

You can read the rest of the article at this link. Thoughts at this momentus, Earth shattering, wonderful and blasphemous development can be posted in the comments section!

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

Avengers vs. X-Men #6 – Review

Next Article

Preview of Alpaha and AMZ 692

You might be interested in …

28 Comments

1. I must agree with the above posters. Before I go further I know the two universes are different but Marvel/Bendis killed off Peter Parker in USM for racial diversity but when they create a new character they make him a blonde haired (probably blue eyed) male. I am sorry USM had a great supporting cast of characters that were flushed down the drain to attract new readers but this is the direction they go in ASM. Pathetic!

2. Oh, one more thing – another blonde teenage guy? Not an Earth-616 Miles Morales, or the currently existing Spider-Girl (Anya Corazon)? Not even a girl/woman/cultural or ethnic minority? Just to do something a little different? Nope, they ignore a cross-promotion opportunity or a “standing-out factor” and just do it as basic as it gets. Wonder how long it took Slott to come up with this idea…(“Hmm, teenage guy, blonde hair, and…Oh, I know! I’ll just copy Peter’s origin! Oh, and then I can just mix-match the names of the two most recent spidey movie actors!”)

3. Sidekicks aren’t necessarily bad IMO. Like many other literary concepts it can work if done correctly (which, IMO, DC usually manages to do). That said – Spidey mentoring a younger hero? But he can’t be a teacher or be married or have a baby because then he would be – GASP! – too old for “the kids”! Seriously, playing teacher to another hero is okay, but teaching a high school class or a baby girl isn’t? *Sigh* Y’know, I didn’t actually think marvel was THIS hypocritical…

4. If his first name was Andrew…wait, is Andy short for Andrew?
    Nice pun using the name of guys portraying Peter in live action, but it’s an overplayed one

Wonder if he will be the next Spider-Man after 700, if hopefully Peter dies

5. I wouldn’t shoot ya:) , but hell just have him marry again and have his own kids…he can raise one on the “Power and Responsibility ” principle and make him/her Spidey Jr..but..no, that would be lame…yay Poochy…..!

6. Would anyone shoot me if I said that I’d rather he make Miles Morales his new sidekick?

7. An army of carlies… And only one man can stop them and save spider-man… and it’s Deadpool. I’m not against Spidey having a sidekick if it’s temporary. When Aunt May left she took a lot of the series maturity and older wisdom with her. It’s wasn’t a bad move compared to having to worry about her having another heart attack every 50 issues, but I was really hoping to see Peter fill her role a bit. Lord knows peters done damn near everything a superhero can. magic, Clones, genius, super strong, Alien worlds, alternate dimensions, dark doppelgangers. Sure, the new kid seems kinda lame to start off with but I’m hopefully that this will become that, enough to give it a shot at least.

8. Okay. I know Marvel is desperate. Very desperate. They are pulling every trick in the book to sell copies. But a SIDEKICK???? What???!!! Seriously? Uhhhhhhhhhhhh! Spidey should not have a sidekick! What are you going to do next, Marvel??? Have Tigra have a one night stand with Spidey? Have Miles Warren clone Carlie and unleash an army of Carlies on NYC?

9. @18 I doubt it’s anything to do with the movie. For… basically the reasons you stated in your post. The movie cash-in arc is the current Lizard one, but that’s getting good reviews so everybody wins.

10. @17: There was already a two-parter about that very thing.

Really, the only reason they’re doing this is to cash in on how the movie is an origin story… Except the movie is about Peter Parker, not some kid named after two people that have played him.

11. If they want to use SM in an occasional mentoring role, they just needed to send him to Avengers Academy every now and then.

12. This actually seems like it would be an awesome April Fool’s joke. DC honestly has so many books I’d like to follow, Marvel has me grinding me teeth trying to hang on to the few of theirs I still do.

13. @#4 K-Box in the Box: “WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO GET TO THE FIREWORKS FACTORY! *cries*”

14. Yay, a side-kick. This will put ASM sales back up around 100K, where they were before OMD happened.

15. I dropped the book a couple months ago I mine be out of the loop abit, but this seems to be counter to the reasons for BND (which I did not and still do not care for)…

16. EIC Axel Alonso said this:

”He’s older, more seasoned, but young at heart. He’s still a young man, but he’s been around. It’s interesting because it flips the paradigm. Teen hero Spider-Man is now responsible for this teen hero sidekick. He’s responsible because one of his inventions caused this kid to get his powers. He’s directly responsible for the responsibility this kid now has with his new powers. He feels he has a responsibility to make sure this kid walks the right path, which won’t prove easy.”

Did I miss the part where Peter Parker de-aged again into a teen?

17. what a second… Andy Maguire… as in Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire? that is not a coincedence. I’ll wait to see how the story shakes out, but this seems totally unnecessary.

18. But Peter Parker still isn’t allowed to be married, because that ages the character too much and removes him too far from his roots.

19. I CAN’T be the only one who saw the awful parallel.

From the article:

“Andy, Marvel editors and writers say, does not have a confidence problem. Like Parker of yesteryear, he is an outcast. However, Andy has a brashness, an edge, that Parker will find challenging, especially as he molds a potentially unpredictable teen who’s more powerful than he is.”

Come on! It’s practically the SAME QUOTE:

‎”He’s edgy. He’s ‘in-your-face.’ You’ve heard the expression ‘Let’s get busy’? Well, Alpha is a superhero who gets BIZ-ZAY! Consistently and thoroughly.”

20. and once again Dan Slott steal my idea, Donomark know what I’m talking about.

21. I don’t even care what it is — I’m just so ready for whatever is going to change after 700. Sheesh. Nobody likes kid sidekicks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *