Spider-Man 3 Movie Review Part 1 of 2

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Spider-Man 3 Movie Review Part 1 of 2

Postby MadGoblin » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:10 pm

http://spideykicksbutt.com/SpideyMedia/SpiderMan3MovieReviewP1.html

I won't get around to updating the main page until tomorrow, but I thought as a Crawlspace exclusive, I'd slip this link in to let you know that the MadGoblin is back, and with the exception of the 24th, should be updating weekly on Monday throughout December (next one the 10th)
Last edited by MadGoblin on Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Janoe-42 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:54 pm

We'll take it as an early Christmas present! Seems like you're making a comeback JR. After you post the 2nd part of the review what do you plan to put up next?
Janoe-42
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby CrazyChris » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:04 pm

I pretty much agree with you on everything except the second film being worse. I'm impressed on how well you're able to unpack such a busy film. I can't wait for the rest!
CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby SheriffOfCoffeeTown » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:56 am

I agree on a lot of points, and for reference: I'm a Venom fan, and thought the movie did the best job of portraying him ever, given the allowances of a film instead of serial media. If Kurtwood Smith had been in the crowd scene and urged Spidey to put a boot up Venom's @$$, this would have been the greatest movie of all time.

However, regarding the Sandman/Ben connection: while I agree that such tinkering with the origin wasn't really necessary, I think it holds up better in a film series than in the comics, for the simple fact that the film never has to mention it again, and Peter doesn't have to question its impact on his mission.

But in criticizing the alteration of the origin and its impact on Peter's life, no one has brought up the fact that in the comics, Peter got closure as well, in Amazing 200.
SheriffOfCoffeeTown
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Thanos6 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:29 pm

Yay, JR's back, yay!

It's funny. When I saw it in the theaters, I had the whole "like it but" reaction, but now that I have it on DVD (early Christmas from my girlfriend) I like it a lot more. Weird.
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:40 pm

Janoe-42 wrote:We'll take it as an early Christmas present! Seems like you're making a comeback JR. After you post the 2nd part of the review what do you plan to put up next?

I'll probably start my Year in Review series. I've got quite a bit of catching up to do. I've also got some more Goblin Prince ready to go which I may insert from time to time.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thanos6 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:44 pm

*JR is softly tapped on the shoulder by an adamantium tentacle* ;)
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby BD » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:34 am

Jr,
Another great article. As I told you earlier today, I can't read these things without hearing your voice in my head. I think I need medication.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby slave83b » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:41 pm

BD wrote:Jr,
Another great article. As I told you earlier today, I can't read these things without hearing your voice in my head. I think I need medication.

You're not the only one. Ever since J.R. started on the podcast, I've been hearing his voice whenever I read an article.
slave83b
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby FSUSpiderFan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:52 pm

J.R.,
Good analyis so far. I definietly think they forced the forgiveness aspects. If they had been handled better then the film might have been great. I hope you comment on the worst actor in all of the movies, the butler. Everytime he speaks in the movies it reminds me takes me out of the story and his waiting until Harry is almost killed twice in an ignorant quest for revenge before telling him his father wasn't killed by Spider-man was just ridiculous.
FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Venom65437 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:41 am

Loved the article. Great job as always. The though of getting consistent SKB makes my Spider-Sense tingle... IN MY PANTS! :shock:
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby FSUSpiderFan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:09 am

As long as you keep that tingling Scarlet Spider in the pants I won't report you.... :shock:
FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby MadGoblin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:40 pm

SheriffofCoffeeTown wrote:I'm a Venom fan, and thought the movie did the best job of portraying him ever

I definitely agree. The idea of a young, skinny Eddie Brock, competing with Peter Parker, seduced by the power of the alien symbiote to right all the wrongs he perceives was done to him beats middle aged hulking body building Eddie Brock, who never met Parker, and wants revenge because he wrote a bogus story.

If Kurtwood Smith had been in the crowd scene and urged Spidey to put a boot up Venom's @$$, this would have been the greatest movie of all time.

Man, I wish I'd thought of that line...

But in criticizing the alteration of the origin and its impact on Peter's life, no one has brought up the fact that in the comics, Peter got closure as well, in Amazing 200.

Spidey also said in that issue that he would never again consider giving up his costumed identity. I think he was giddy over finding out that Aunt May wasn't really dead - but reality soon set it again. I think he'll always be tortured by Ben's death and his perceived guilt.

FSUSpiderFan wrote:I hope you comment on the worst actor in all of the movies, the butler. Everytime he speaks in the movies it takes me out of the story and his waiting until Harry is almost killed twice in an ignorant quest for revenge before telling him his father wasn't killed by Spider-man was just ridiculous.

Mr. Paxton and his thespian talents are definitely mentioned in Part 2.

Thanos6 wrote:*JR is softly tapped on the shoulder by an adamantium tentacle*

Ack! He found me again! Oh, man...

Venom65437 wrote:Loved the article. Great job as always. The though of getting consistent SKB makes my Spider-Sense tingle... IN MY PANTS!

Egad, I did not need to know that.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Javi Trujillo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:44 pm

Thanos6,

I, too, have enjoyed Spidey 3 more and more with each repeated viewing.

However, why was Capt. Stacy always in his dress uniform? C'mon, Mr. Raimi, he should be in a brown suit!

If the Lizard's tail knocks over a chimney in the fourth movie and Stacy dies pushing a kid outta the way, I'll forgive the oversight!
Javi Trujillo
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Thanos6 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:05 am

I hope you comment on the worst actor in all of the movies, the butler. Everytime he speaks in the movies it takes me out of the story and his waiting until Harry is almost killed twice in an ignorant quest for revenge before telling him his father wasn't killed by Spider-man was just ridiculous.

And on that note, what Bernard said doesn't really prove anything. Peter's lucky that that didn't convince Harry that Peter had *stabbed* Norman with the glider.

Sorry Otto and I keep bugging you, J.R. He just feels that "as the sole Spider-Man archnemesis who has been around for his entire career, save for a short vacation to the afterlife in the 90's," he's deserving of special treatment. ;
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer