The Golden Age of spiderman, where did it end for you?

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Re: The Golden Age of spiderman, where did it end for you?

Postby Spider Spence » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:16 pm

I'm with the folks who say it's in and out. Recently, I loved the spider-totem stuff (ducks flying rotten fruit). But I loved it because at the end of the first Morlun arc Peter makes it pretty clear that it doesn't matter if it was preordained, he is still an anomaly by Ezekiel's reasoning because of the strange way it went down. I think that kept the mythos intact. JMS also came up with some decent villains, though no one has properly used Shathra the Spider-Wasp, my favorite. I loved Mark Millar's Shush even better than JMS and adored what Peter David and Aguirre-Sacasa did, despite the best efforts of the main continuity to screw them during Civil War Sh*tstorm. Ramos and Jenkins's stuff wasn't bad either.

My favorite ASM issue ever is "The Conversation." My second favorite was the DeFalco/Frenz MJ reveal. The DeFalco/Frenz to early Michelinie is what I read when I was getting into Spidey, and I first dropped it around the start of the Clone Saga. That was another good period that went splat.

Since I won't read Amazing until someone undoes OMD, I can't say if the new stuff is any good. Recently I picked up either 601 or 602, (don't remember) flipped through it, and literally threw it on the ground because it wasted no time establishing that Peter and MJ were f*cking other people. That, my friends, leaps into the stratosphere above the shark.
Spider Spence
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby SinisterHobby » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:46 pm

For me, personally, it was with the revelation of the Hobgoblin (supposedly) being Ned Leeds. I was only in seventh or eigth grade, still a kid really, so it was like an end of an era for me. With the debut of Todd McFarlane, just a matter of months later, I was beginning a new chapter in my life (high school) and the Spidey comics seemed to have turned a corner there as well.

So that's the end of Spideys Golden Age for me.
My comic book company:
www.reliantpublishingonline.com
SinisterHobby
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby ronnieramone » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:43 pm

I have loved and despised so many stories over the years it is really hard to pick.

When did the Golden age of Spider-man end? Honestly, the Golden Age was over with the death of Gwen Stacy & Norman Osborn, before I ever started reading the title. As a kid, though, I would buy and read all of the Marvel Tales reprints and became familiar with characters like Betty Brant and the mysterious, never-seen Mary Jane Watson. The first back issue I ever bought was an issue with Mysterio that had all the classic villains on the cover. I didn't get the second part to that storyline until years later, but I remember feeling cheated that those characters weren't really in it, they were all just illusions. By contrast, the Marvel Tales actually had the full Sinister Six battling Spider-man in six great pin-up pages that I could rip out and tack on my wall without ruining a valuable collectible. I had the entire Ditko era of Spider-man in reprint form by the time I was 8 or 9. When I bought the death of Gwen Stacy, though, it almost felt like the story of Spider-man was over. It wasn't, of course, but there was a good, long suck-fest after that. The only bright spot was the first appearance of the Black Cat, but she wouldn't really live up to her potential for many years.

For me, the Silver Age of Spider-man began around ASM #226, the third story to feature Felicia and a few issues into Stern's run. The costume party scene was fantastic, with Spidey dressed as a Jawa, Peter at the laundromat seeing a woman that reminded him of Felicia... The Juggernaut story was a classic, and of course not long after that was the start of the Hobgoblin epic... The Hobgoblin period ran alongside the Black Cat/Dr. Octopus war in Spectacular, then came the Secret Wars symbiote, the Sin-Eater, Spider-man vs. Wolverine, the wedding, Kraven's Last Hunt, and immediately after that Venom and the legendary McFarlane reign. If the decade from 1973 to 1982 was Stinksville, the decade from 1982 to 1991 was just the opposite.

Then came the Clone Saga. It was suddenly as if sixteen tons of cowpatties had just been dumped on Spider-man, and seemed he would never crawl out. There were one or two issues in there that were decent; ASM #400 and the death of Aunt May, and the Onslaught one where Peter (who we were then told was the clone) kicked the crap out of three sentinels in half as many seconds and then said, "I know you're the real deal, but dammit I was good at this!" Even after correcting the situation, though, the books just could not recover from the damage done. The Byrne reboot came, along with MJ dying in a plane crash, and before I knew it more than a decade of disappointment had piled up.

The books were almost entirely garbage up until the return of Mary Jane and the start of that incredible run by J. Michael Stracynski in 2001. Paul Jenkins had been slowly picking up the slack in Peter Parker Spider-man, but he was struggling without Mary Jane or a decent supporting cast to work with. When MJ came back, and with JMS to try and keep up with, Jenkins' work soared to new heights as well. This modern era of Spider-man carried us through such landmarks as the Spider-totem concept, Avengers Disassembled & the evolution of organic webshooters, the torturous but somehow still riveting Sins Past, The Other, the Iron Spidey & Civil War, Back in Black and of course, the end of Spider-man continuity: One More Day.

As far as I'm concerned, anything from ASM #546 on is not Spider-man, but some other phony, alternate reality Spider-man supplanting him in the 616 universe. The story of the Amazing Spider-man: the richness of its history, the meaningfulness of his story, his characterization, everything... it all ended when Joe Quesada forced his will upon the story of Peter Parker, deciding that he should be single again, his secret identity re-established, Harry Osborn should be suddenly alive, Peter's powers should be scaled back, Aunt May brought back to life (again), the house in Forest Hills rebuilt, the Bugle would become the DB, Pete would go back to living with Aunt May, a whole new cast of characters would appear, and basically nothing at all would ever be the same again. I don't know what everyone is reading these days, but none of it looks or sounds like Spider-man to me. Unfortunately, they didn't keep the series that I grew up with going, they just ended it entirely. Saves me money, I suppose, but it seems like we've got ten years on, ten years off. Right now we're in the third decade of Spider-crap. The first being 1973-1982, the second from 1991 to 2001, and the third is from 2007 on. The only thing that really bites is that we didn't even get a whole decade of good stories before the third decade of crap began.
onara
Nik'Lbag Comics
Delta House "Desperado"
Call me Newbie again... I dare ya.
ronnieramone
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Bevie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:37 pm

[smilie=spidey_yeah_that.gif]

Hi Ronnieramone - Have to say I agree with you entirely. Even so, I persevered through your first 2 decades of crap and only the beginning of the 3rd disgusted me so much that I dropped the book I loved the most. But then again, it is no longer that book but a poor shabby wannabe copy!

Always enjoy your posts over at CBR even though they are few and far between these days. Don't be a stranger! [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]

Valkyrie of Delta Tau Chi
Bevie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby raddude » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:19 pm

For me it was when Spidey married Mary Jane. I'm not saying this to start some flame war or be controversial. I've always said I don't have a problem with a married Spiderman, I just felt he picked the wrong girl - - as Spidey and Felicia are my all time favorite couple not just the Spidey mythos but all of comics.

Like any of these questions it depends really when you started reading. For me while I had bought the occassional issue of Marvel Team Up as a young child it wasn't until the time of Secret Wars that I became a hardcore monthly collector of comics, which was when Spidey was dating Felicia and MJ wasn't even in the books.

If I look back at my favorite run of Spidey its actually not from Amazing but in Spectacular namely the first Spidey-Cat relationship from issues 75-100. Although it's not just Spidey and the Cat relationship. I liked all the characters in that era in the title from Cloak and Dagger to villains like Answer, Spot and Silvermane (hey I was 11, Spot seemed cool to me - lol). Even after Spidey and Cat broke up Spectacular was still um Spectacular with the Sin Eater Saga and then the whole Foriegner storyline (which had a second Spidey-Cat relationship). And then all of a sudden after issue 123 Cat breaks up with Spidey for no reason via a note and literally two months later he's marrying someone else and it just never felt right to me.

I'm not going to say the instant he married her the titles went off a cliff. Because that's not true. The entire Venom story arc occured after the marriage (and since I was a teen then I am of course firmly in the camp of Venom is the coolest most awesome villain ever). Spectacular had the whole Harry Goblin story arc that was tremendous. But if you are asking me to define a golden age its the time from around Spectacular 75-123 before the marriage : And while Spectacular was my favorite title in that era, the others were real good too as Amazing had the Hobgoblin mystery, some great fight issue like the Firelord story and the Synster Syndicater issues and some great comedy issues with Frogman or the Commuter plus back then we had Marvel Team Up as the third Spidey title which was infinately superior to Web imo.
raddude
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby butters911 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:27 pm

I dont know about a "golden age" but there have been many great eras in Spidey history. Personally I feel we are in one now, as everything between the end of the clone saga and the start of BND didnt really interest me at all.
Zeta House Member Hunter T

Roger Stern speaks:
"I've been reading and enjoying AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ever since the beginning of the Brand New Day storyline. It's great to see Spider-Man really acting like Spider-Man again."

Butters911 speaks:
"ASM is the best it's been in years!"

Marvel....it's official:
I now have ELEVEN of your titles on my pull list.
butters911
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Big Al » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:42 pm

It is such a personal preference question really.

All i can say is my favourite era was the post clone saga pre reboot era. it is shockingly unremembered and those who do remember it often put it down but it had good stuff and had the collossal task of bringing spider-man back from the brink of the clone saga and dammit it was doing a good job until the final chapter hit

I admit it wasn't the all time best era though. I dunno when that was cos honestly every era ever has had good stories in it. I despise BND but I admit there are some good stories there (even though most do not need asingle spider-man). the 1990s get a bad rap, especially the clone saga but there are even great stories there. yes great. Spectacular 200 and ASM 400 are probably some of the most classic speiderman stories of all time. even the clone saga had good ideas poorly executed (bring back the clone-ok. Make him the real spiderman. facepalm) or otherwise bad ideas (kill off doc ock) executed really really well (web of death). Hell I'd say the 90s was the last time Peter Parker was every truly developing as a character. Since then they've been interested either in regressing him or maaking him static. they have had good stories where he is static eg JMS's run for the first half but I want to see him continue to develop and I think Marvel just don't.

the 80s was also a great era better than the 70s imo. I don't think DeFalco (who i like more than Stern actually) ever had a run as strong as Stern's but dammit he progressed Spider-Man forward and is to this day the only guy i think who still wants to do that. Kraven's last hunt, the wedding, venom, lots of good stuff

the 70s is unfamiliar territory but hey there is good stuff there too like the clone saga, the son of the goblin, black cat and the death of gwen

then of course you have the 60s which i think most people would look to as the golden age if nothing else other than they introduced EVERYONE practically.

So....yeah theres good and bad everywhere
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man
Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby CrazyChris » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:32 am

Big Al wrote: they have had good stories where he is static eg JMS's run for the first half but I want to see him continue to develop and I think Marvel just don't.

You thought the first half of JMS's run had a static Spider-Man? He got a teaching job, Aunt May learned his identity, and not only was MJ brought back but the marriage was written as strongly and maturely as it ever had been. I think it was the most grown-up Peter we had ever seen and probably will ever see until there is a drastic change in attitude in Marvel's editors.
CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Big Al » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:11 pm

CrazyChris wrote:
Big Al wrote: they have had good stories where he is static eg JMS's run for the first half but I want to see him continue to develop and I think Marvel just don't.

You thought the first half of JMS's run had a static Spider-Man? He got a teaching job, Aunt May learned his identity, and not only was MJ brought back but the marriage was written as strongly and maturely as it ever had been. I think it was the most grown-up Peter we had ever seen and probably will ever see until there is a drastic change in attitude in Marvel's editors.

I am sorry I think that came out wrong I think I meant comparativly static. Yes an aweful lot was going on and an aweful lot of it was great but that first half wasn't constantly pushing him forward with new changes like the second half was more or less. And Im not saying that one way or the other is better or worse (i prefer the first half of JMS's run tot he second personally) Im just saying you can tell good stories regardless. In regards to JMS's first run i totally agree Peter was written as gorwn up as ever, not to say he wasn't written as grown up in times prior to that (though certainly not in the reboot).

In regards to JMS's run in its entirity it was one of the most controversial and one I have mixed feelings about myself. I love some of it and hate other parts of it. I think generally though he never wrote it badely insorfar as dialgoue was concerned or anything like that. Well i mean it happened sometimes but what writer is consistently good all the time right?

Actually in regards to MJ and the marriage I'd like to ask a few questions. People often say JMS wrote the mariage the best and I agree with that but do you think others before JMS wrote the marriage well too? same thing with Aunt May really, JM Demattis' and Stern's Aunt May were not as good as JMS's but they were tolerable-perfectly fine characters (i think JMD's stuff with aunt may and the vulture prior to her heart attack was at worst not all that bad). So in regards to the marriage I liked JMS's take on it but I also think he wasn't the first guy to write it well just the first to write it THAT well. What do you think?
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby CrazyChris » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:21 pm

I agree that he wasn't the first one to ever write the marriage well. I think the next best to do it was Dematteis, but even he resorted to too many scenes of MJ sitting around in her pajamas worried about Peter all night.

I can only think of a few eras that progressed the character at a faster rate than JMS did, even if you just look at the early JMS issues only. One of them is the Stan Lee run that took Peter from being 15 to being in college in under 40 issues. The only other one I can think of was the clone saga era when MJ got pregnant, Aunt May "died," and it looked like Peter was going to retire. I think the only reason the progress was so fast in that era was because the writers intended for Ben Reilly to replace Peter, so they really were trying to bring Peter's story to its end.
CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Big Al » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:20 am

CrazyChris wrote:I agree that he wasn't the first one to ever write the marriage well. I think the next best to do it was Dematteis, but even he resorted to too many scenes of MJ sitting around in her pajamas worried about Peter all night.

I can only think of a few eras that progressed the character at a faster rate than JMS did, even if you just look at the early JMS issues only. One of them is the Stan Lee run that took Peter from being 15 to being in college in under 40 issues. The only other one I can think of was the clone saga era when MJ got pregnant, Aunt May "died," and it looked like Peter was going to retire. I think the only reason the progress was so fast in that era was because the writers intended for Ben Reilly to replace Peter, so they really were trying to bring Peter's story to its end.

Yeah I think there is this weird situation wherein the 90s emphasised MJ as worrying about Peter and the 2000s emphasised her devotion to Peter. Thats what JMS did a lot with MJ anyway but I’ve been feeling conflicted about that recently. Do you think JMS, as well as he wrote the marriage, wrote MJ well? I mean do you think she behaved in character cos I was reading JR’s Mary jane articles on SKB the other day and whilst I agree with almost everything he wrote he said that after the marriage MJ’s character changed drastically. He said she vacillated between 2 extremes:

“The first was that of being too much the faithful wife and friend. Mary Jane went from having her own personality, her own set of virtues and vices, distinct from Peter's to one that almost mirrored his. In these instances she essentially became Mrs. Spider-Man, and therefore lost much of what had made her a popular, endearing character in the first place. MJ has always worked best when she's a bit goofy and off the wall, needing to be brought back to the center, because that way she contrasts nicely with Peter's overly serious nature and "I've got the burdens of the world on my shoulders" personality, and thus she helps bring him back to the center as well.”

“The second personality type was the whiner (closely associated with a certain amount of bitchiness). She either whined because she was worried about Peter, or she was all over his ass because of his extracirricular activities, and as a result did things like take up smoking for awhile.”

I’m not entirely certain if JR meant she was ALWAYS portrayed in these two ways and was NEVER portrayed as ‘goofy’ but I wanted to get a second opinion cos I can think of times when she was defiantly kinda goofy after the marriage, but yeah maybe it didn’t happen often enough. And in regards to the being a faithful wife and friend do you think that was out of character for MJ because she was definitely leaning towards that portrayal duringhe JMS era and I don’t think anyone claimed it to be out of character or was particularly put off by it. Yeah ok maybe they had a few too many ‘I love you’s in there but within the context of them reconciling after the crap they’d gone through for years I think it makes sense, don’t you? I mean she was had a sense of humour but it wasn’t really goofy. Often she was portrayed as being you know really in love with Peter and stuff but was all that out of character is what I’m struggling with, did she have a personality beyond being his wife (im not criticising anyone, I just want opinions)?

And in regards to the whining and angsting yes it bothered me but is it (like the ‘faithful wife and friend’ portrayal) acceptable to do it sometimes? Is it in character? I mean for my money if you look at all the crap they were going through from Jonathan Caesar kidnapping her up to the reconciliation in ASm v2 #50 doesn’t it sort of make sense she’d be kind of on edge or kind of angsty? I mean to name but a few things that happened her and peter’s oldest friend died, her husband had a mental breakdown and was never home, aunt may was comatose and died, she was pregnant and the baby might have been endangered cos of radioactive blood etc, they had a miscarriage, the man who caused the miscarriage is in their lives 24/7 and has put a bounty on her husband’s head, she is kidnapped for months and presumed dead. Now Im not saying all those situations should’ve happened cos some of em are bad writing but I mean doesn’t it make sense that during or in the aftermath of such events MJ wouldn’t be acting goofy and would be either angsty or you know turning to Peter for comfort?
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Donomark » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:43 pm

I agree with Chirs' general statement that the question is too subjective, but my answer that rings the truest is when OMD/BND happened. The OMD story was bad enough, but BND was absolutely deplorable as far as I've read. I saw what the writers were doing to make Spider more positive and back-to-basics, but what kept happeneing was story after story of making the character out to be the biggest loser ever. And it wasn't a case of Howard Mackie trying to earn sympathy from the readers. You could see that the writers genuinely felt this and wanted to get that across. It was miserable, and honestly I don't feel we've been out of it yet even though Slott's run is better. I feel that once ASM reads with maturity like every other Marvel book on the stands, it'll be easier for me to digest.
Donomark
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Big Al » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:36 am

Donomark wrote:I agree with Chirs' general statement that the question is too subjective, but my answer that rings the truest is when OMD/BND happened. The OMD story was bad enough, but BND was absolutely deplorable as far as I've read. I saw what the writers were doing to make Spider more positive and back-to-basics, but what kept happeneing was story after story of making the character out to be the biggest loser ever. And it wasn't a case of Howard Mackie trying to earn sympathy from the readers. You could see that the writers genuinely felt this and wanted to get that across. It was miserable, and honestly I don't feel we've been out of it yet even though Slott's run is better. I feel that once ASM reads with maturity like every other Marvel book on the stands, it'll be easier for me to digest.

The thing thatgets me is that even when you divorce it from the basic method of how we got there (OMD which im sorry but it does colour everything you read onwards) the positives, and there were some are undermined by the basic premise of Brand New Day. Single Spider-Man right? But the vast majority of the storylines, let alone the few honestly good ones eg Flashback, either didn't need Spider-Man to be single or otherwise his relationship status was irrelevent. All this and thier utterly transparent desire to harken back tot hepast which in some ways is fine. When the Sensational Annual in 2007 harkened back to the Lee/Romita and Conway/Andru eras it was done tastefull it was done well. But BND has bee flawed not only because of the lack of maturity in the writing but because they've tried to harken back to a younger Spider-Man despite the fact the Spider-man of those eras they are trying to recapture just didn't act this way. Peter was always a guy who had wisedom beyond his years to a certain extent, no dobut because he WAS the bread bringer for his family at 15. he still made youthful mistakes and did youthful things but he didn't act the way BND usually portrayed him as beyond the actual superheroics which is difficult to screw up but somehow they often did by making Spider-Man more of a chump than he ever was
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Eddie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Donomark wrote: I feel that once ASM reads with maturity like every other Marvel book on the stands, it'll be easier for me to digest.

Yes! Spoken with your usual eloquence.
Eddie
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Donomark » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:18 pm

I actually came into this topic intending to give my thought, then I see I already gave them nearly a year ago. : p D'oh!
Donomark
Avenger
Avenger