Podcast #474-Spider-History What Did You Think?

Leave a Message to BD, general notes about the site, or ask a question on the podcast!

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Podcast #474-Spider-History What Did You Think?

Post by BD » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:31 am

What did you think of the show?

The opening song is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBNZKgFHa_8
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spider-Dad
Avenger
Avenger

Re: Podcast #474-Spider-History What Did You Think?

Post by Spider-Dad » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:51 pm

I just had to comment on this podcast, since July of 1979 is when I truly became a "comic collector". Before then, I dabbled in picking up books here and there, but it was with ASM #194 that it really took root. Not only did I get ASM# 194, I also picked up MTU#83, Marvel Tales #105, FF#208 and the Hulk @238. All for $2! The following week, I went back to the same spinner rack and picked up Daredevil #158 (with no staples...), Avengers #186, PPTSM #32, ASM Annual #13 and the Peter Parker Spectacular Annual #1. And that was it...hooked.

First off, hearing JR come out swinging about the history of the Crawlspace podcast, jabbing BD/George/Friday Night Fights and the "exposing the lie that Secret Wars is..." was a great re-introduction to the Podcast and all the members of the Crawlspace. I really enjoyed listening to the team go over the books that were influential for me sticking around. One of my favorite bits was how they picked apart Marcy Kane, a character that at the time I found completely annoying. I was only 13 was confused on why MJ and Peter broke up! Didn't know a wit about editorial mandates or Mary Sue's. Just didn't like her character. Totally forgot she turned out to be an alien...

On the other hand, I really liked Black Cat/Felicia Hardy. In addition to the Black Cat cliffhanger, Aunt May committed to a nursing home and did JJJ know his secret identity? I just HAD to return the following month to see what happened next! Damn that Marv Wolfman! He was also writing FF, which was leading up to a Galactus encounter. I guess it was Marv that got me hooked.

Major points for George on the Princess Python reference. To answer the question about answering machines. In 1979 our house did not have an answering machine, so a telegram or registered mail, (anything requiring a signature) would not have been unusual to inform someone about a death.

The Iguana a ripoff of the Lizard? How dare you! OK, true, PPTSM #32 was not great, but was an easy read and did give a different take on Peter's grad school setup. MTU#83 is one of the few good arcs on this title. Introduced me to the Black Widow, Nick Fury and the Helicarrier. All cool stuff.

To BD. Bad Spider-Man month? Not for me. It was THE month. All and all, a good reason to listen the podcast again and remember some books that came out 38 friggin years ago!

Yet still in some ways seems not that long. [smilie=spiderman.gif]
Spider-Dad
Delta House Member - "Snapper"

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by George Berryman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:30 am

Good to hear from you, Spider-Dad! It's been awhile! :D
--George Berryman (Delta House Member 'Bear' - Join Us Now!),
"Old School"

Spider-Dad
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Dad » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:42 am

BD, I come to Crawlspace probably every weekend and check things out. I find myself commenting on things less and less...

But rest assured, I am "watching"... :mrgreen:
Spider-Dad
Delta House Member - "Snapper"

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by BD » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:49 pm

You've always been one of my favorite posters Spider-Dad. Is there any reason you're posting less?
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~