why kill harry osborn?

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

why kill harry osborn?

Postby stevenkof » Tue May 22, 2007 4:45 pm

iv been thinking about this, why kill harry? At the time he finally became an A list villian, he dies. Did the editor just say "its ok, kill him we can bring him back" or did they not care? it dosent make any sense to have killed off the harry goblin, maybe j.r will address this, anyone have any thoughts?
stevenkof
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby CyberGhostface » Tue May 22, 2007 6:46 pm

Personally, I thought it was a beautiful story with his redemption and death. I don't know if there was any specific reasoning like they did with MJ during the reboot...perhaps they just thought it was a fitting end to his arc?
CyberGhostface

Postby Janoe-42 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:23 pm

They had already done all they could really do with him. He was repeatedly just "Kill Peter, now befriend Peter, kill Peter, befriend Peter". They did such a fantastic job ending his story, and did it before he got old as a character.
Janoe-42
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Venom65437 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:42 pm

Spectacular #200 was a great story. The onlly thing that really bothered me about him dying, is I'm always weary of seeing a major villian get killed. And I really got excited when it was strongly hinted that Gaunt was Harry. Like it should have been, IMO.
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby stevenkof » Wed May 23, 2007 12:17 am

while its true they had done alot with harry, look at the results of his death, phil urich hero goblin? the return of norman? If harry didnt die an out for the clone saga would have been much easier. Look at venom, the character was shoved down our throats during that time, and everything they could do with him had be done in amazing spiderman #300! At least harry had real motivation
stevenkof
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Wed May 23, 2007 7:45 am

I will be discussing Harry's death in some detail. But basically I can sum it up as:

Logical story development, but poor editorial judgment
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby stevenkof » Wed May 23, 2007 7:45 pm

cant wait to hear your opinion on it j.r, its something that has bothered me since it happened
stevenkof
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Russe » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:12 pm

I can only go by the movie because I haven't read the comics. Though I am planning too, I just need the money! *lol*

I think, even though Harry was obviously divided on his relationship with Peter, that he honestly didn't want to kill him. I mean, it is easier to kill someone who did something terrible to you than to forgive them. I think Harry knew he had to forgive Peter, because Peter has always been there (as far as I know, and that is from my friend who is a marvel guru) but, it would be easier to kill Peter and live with himself afterwards.
I am the AMAZING TUTU-GUY! -- Tutu-Guy
What are you going to do? Pirouette me to death? -- Spider-Man

(This is from my fan fic Spider Man and the Amazing Tutu-Guy!
Russe
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby matthewaos » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:58 am

Well, killing A listers is great imo. I mean, ok did anyone cared that Coldheart died in CW? Because you can't kill them, since they are too well known and may sell books, when this happens it is shocking. The death of Harry was a great story, and if you read some of the issues before #200 you can see how great a story it is. So anyway, I consider Harry a lesser opponent to mastermind the clone saga, I think it would be poor. I mean he was trying to make Peter's life miserable, yeah, but he wasn't actually hated him. It was Norman's hatred that drove Harry crazy, and it was Norman that should have been behind the clone saga. At least imo. I understand the Venom overexpose after Harry's death though...
Spider-Man sucks these days. It's magic! I don't have to explain it!

www.myspace.com/artofsimplicity

www.myspace.com/babylonentropia

www.ghostiesbungalow.com
matthewaos
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Russe » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 pm

That's funny. I was listening to the PODCAST from the guy's here the other day and I thought they had said that Norman was behind the Clone thing!!

Okay, now I am confused.... :shock:
I am the AMAZING TUTU-GUY! -- Tutu-Guy
What are you going to do? Pirouette me to death? -- Spider-Man

(This is from my fan fic Spider Man and the Amazing Tutu-Guy!
Russe
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby matthewaos » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:17 am

The plan was that Gaunt was Harry and he was behind it, but the editors changed their minds.

www.ghostiesbungalow.com
matthewaos
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby trunck » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:15 am

I think the death oh Harry and the few stories before it are some of the best stories ever in spidey's history.
The story of his redemption is moving, and I would even say Spectecular 200 is one of my favourite issues in all comic books.
The only downside of Harry dieing is the fact that Peter's supporting cast lost a major player and I think ever since that time never recovered, till now there are almost no significant supporting characters beside MJ and May.
Last edited by trunck on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trunck
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby matthewaos » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:34 am

I think tha's not true, it's just that they don't use it. Spidey has a great supporting cast, but only Sacasa and David used it, from recent years.

www.ghostiesbungalow.com
matthewaos
Webslinger
Webslinger