Podcast # 471-Homecoming Review what did you think?

Leave a Message to BD, general notes about the site, or ask a question on the podcast!

Moderators: PartyHardy, stillanerd, BD

Podcast # 471-Homecoming Review what did you think?

Postby BD » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:08 pm

What did you think of the show?

The opening song is here.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Podcast # 471-Homecoming Review what did you think?

Postby Big Al » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:18 am

Long story short for my views on the movie.

Good movie terrible adaptation.

This isn't the only way to acknowledge the wider MCu in a solo Spider movie at all.

He was too much like Miles and the bumbling git that is the USM cartoon Spider-Man.

Proof positive that Marvel in ALL divisions (not just publishing and TV) fundamentally do not understand the character.

Keaton rocked hard

The costume looked awesome especially when there was no jackassy gadget shit going on

The Shocker's powerset was underutilized

If Zendaya is to be some weird alternate take on Mj they royally fucked up

Holland didn't feel like the character until the last third of the movie

They screwed up the Master Planner Trilogy moment by making it a homage as opposed to adapting it. People forget this but the power of that moment is half him lifting the stuff off his back and half all the stuff leading up to it. It's not good enough to just put crap on his back.

There is potential to walk forward with legitimate Spider-Man movies in the future but we won't get them for awhile at best.

I wrote way more on Zach's website.

http://www.spidey-dude.com/?p=5292

http://www.spidey-dude.com/?p=5298
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man
Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby starwolf_oakley » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:19 pm

Crawlspacers,

You wondered who should be cast as the MCU Uncle Ben in a flashback/dream sequence. I think Feige and Co. should continue what was (unknowingly) started with Cliff Robertson and Martin Sheen: Cast an actor who once played John F. Kennedy. (Robertson in "PT 109" and Sheen in the 1983 miniseries "Kennedy.")

A few actors who could work include James Marsden, Greg Kinnear, Rob Lowe, Bruce Greenwood and Patrick Dempsey.

Regarding Ned Leeds being Ganke, keep in mind superhero movies have been doing character amalamation for a while. The 1989 Batman movie had a Vicki Vale who looked and acted more like Silver St. Cloud.

Starwolf Oakley
starwolf_oakley
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby BD » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:20 am

I like your suggestion of Bruce Greenwood a lot!
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby stillanerd » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:36 am

Yeah, I agree Bruce Greenwood would definitely be an excellent choice. Although after the podcast, I thought an ideal younger Uncle Ben for Marisa Tomei's younger Aunt May would be Kevin Bacon. Which would be both funny and sweet, considering Star-Lord described Kevin Bacon as Earth's greatest hero in Guardians of the Galaxy.
--Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Delta House Member "Badger"

Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow!
Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

"You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine!" --from MAD TV

Facebook (a.k.a. my secret identity)

stillanerd
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Symbiobro » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:21 pm

I've held back on reviewing this for awhile because like George, I was pretty disappointed. It was just what I had been expecting, and worse. It wasn't all bad, but I can't give it more than a C.

I think it's a good movie, but a bad Spider-Man movie. I figured maybe Spider-Man fans' opinions would be based on how much they like the Ultimate comics, which would explain why George and I disliked it, but my friend who is a big ultimate fan had the same big problems with the movie as I did, so who knows.

The good:
- Like everyone has said, Micheal Keaton as the vulture stole every scene he was in. He was absolutely fantastic.
- I loved the twist with the Vulture being Liz' dad. I didn't see it coming at all, and the transition from the musical montage to the door opening was great, and the entire car scene with him figuring out Peter's identity was so tense.
- I liked a beginner Peter who wasn't completely sure what he was doing, even if I'm not a fan of Ultimate Spider-Man (Loved the cometh of the commuter scene)
- the montage of Spidey doin' little things around the city was great
- Tom Holland's acting was great, and he did the lifting rubble scene beautifully

The bad:
- I still don't like the concept of Ned's character existing, (I don't think Spider-Man should have someone his age to relate with) but I thought he played well off Peter, and I understand why they did it, I'm just not happy about it.
- The supporting cast was fairly bland. Liz was fine, but the rest was so whatever.
- Michelle's character was just annoying, and she's a pretty terrible replacement for Mary Jane.
- Tony Stark should not be Peter's motivation for the rubble scene. He should absolutely find his inner strength from his responsibility of his loved ones, not because he wants to prove Tony Stark wrong. If there was no voiceover, it would have been fine. A silent scene would have been much more impactful, and it would have been easy to guess he got his inner strength from Uncle Ben without mentioning him.
- It is really lame they don't mention Uncle Ben at all. Just once to remind everyone. I'm not asking for a rehash of his origin, I don't need that.

The ugly:
- Everything about that Flash Thompson was awful. I'm fine with Flash not being a physical bully, but the only trait he shares in common with the character is that he's mean to Peter. Flash should not be a selfish coward who pulls his friends out of the way to save himself, and MCU Flash really didn't give a shit about Spider-Man. He's supposed to be his #1 fan.
- The Stark tech suit really pissed me off. Spider-Man should not have an AI. I don't care if it played off Peter well, it should not exist in the first place. A third of the movie revolved around Peter using his Iron Man lite suit for wacky situations. Not to mention it takes away from his genius and smarts. Spider-Man should figure things out, not some AI.
Symbiobro
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby TheRedboxReport » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:39 pm

I loved the movie. This movie plus a free month subscription to Marvel Unlimited has gotten me back into comics since right around when Slott first got the ASM gig. Didn't like his writing, and still don't for the most part, but it feels good to be back into it. This was also the first podcast of the Crawlspace that I listened to and I've since gone back and listened a bunch of others. I enjoy them because even when I disagree I can see where everyone is coming from and its always entertaining.
TheRedboxReport
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby AmazingOSUman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:26 pm

In your review of the movie, I was a little surprised that something was *not* said.

To me, it seemed sort of obvious that they were setting up the Vulture as a version of the Green Goblin.

What I mean is that they kind of wasted the use of Norman in the first movie. Part of what makes the Goblin really interesting is that he knows Pete is Spidey.

Since we really cannot go to the Goblin well again, transferring this dynamic to another villain makes sense. I don't know that I would have chosen the Vulture, but since they have Keaton to play him, this may be the best choice they could have made. Having him be the dad of a friend of Pete adds to the drama/angst.

I didn't like that the Vulture's identity is known . . . but there may be a way to work around that. Tomes will be convicted of being involved with illegal tech, not of being the Vulture. So he may be able to go back under the radar, no?

The other thing I thought of the movie is NOTNOTNOT what I want to see happen, but I wonder if it isn't the way the planners are going.

I heave hears that Robert Downey wants out pretty soon.

Okay.

If we're going to lose Tony Strak in the MCU, it might be best to kill him off. This explains his absence, and pave side the way for someone else to take the Iron Man role.

But . . . whose fault will it be that Tony dies?

Sure, it could be a villain, mainly, who does the deed. But it doesn't seem to far off the possibles that something Pete does, or does not do, that allows it to happene.

Pete doesn't listen. He thinks he knows better. Whatever.

Pete's decision/error leads to Tony's death.

So *Tony's* legacy of trying to teach Pete to be responsible becomes Pete's motivation.

I'm *not* saying that this is what I want to see happen, but I *can-8 see how it would work.

We don't want to see Sspidey's origing again.

Please, no.

But if we don't get that origin, we don't get the emotional connection to Ben's death that we really *need* for Spidey to have proper motivation for what he does.

Right now, it can be that he's a teenager playing with his cool powers.

But we are going to need a better motivation a few years down the road.

Tony Stark's death because Pete fails to exercise proper responsibility would fit that bill.

As for whether this is "my" Spider-Man. No. Of course not.

Any movie is an *adaptation.*. It *has* to be.

As far as I am concerned, these movies are "What If" stories. Nothing more.

And I can enjoy them at that level, and have a pretty good time, just as I did with "What If."
AmazingOSUman
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer