Podcast #468-Message Board Q&A What Did You Think?

Leave a Message to BD, general notes about the site, or ask a question on the podcast!

Moderators: PartyHardy, stillanerd, BD

Podcast #468-Message Board Q&A What Did You Think?

Postby BD » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:40 am

What did you think of the show?

The opening song is here.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Podcast #468-Message Board Q&A What Did You Think?

Postby durabill » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:07 am

Awesome show Everyone

Thanks for answering my question.

You should be proud of this site and podcast and all the hard work that you all do.
It is greatly appreciated.
Your podcasts are one of the highlights of the month and help keep my work bearable lol..

Brad I will outlast him as well.

Cheers
durabill
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Masked Guy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:09 am

Great episode, guys (and girl)! I've been a fan for awhile and finally decided to make an account, so this should be fun!

It's funny that you should mention Dan Slott's behavior toward fans this episode; he recently harassed me over on CBR by repeatedly claiming that I was a previously banned poster using a "sock-puppet" account to continue "trolling". Aside from being completely false, the only reason he made that baseless accusation was because I said I wasn't a fan of his current work. I was not disrespectful or rude towards him in the slightest. In fact, I actually complimented some of his older work and his consistently strong characterizations of Doctor Octopus and Anna Maria Marconi. But did that deter Slott's bombardment? Nope; he continued to make the same tired accusations of me being a previously banned troll who is "taking shots directly at [him]" while simultaneously claiming that my civil behavior was just an act. The CBR moderator, Thomas Mets, has since deleted that particular conversation for being off-topic, but I think it really says a lot about what kind of person Slott is.
Masked Guy
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Phantom Roxas » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:31 am

Masked Guy wrote:Great episode, guys (and girl)! I've been a fan for awhile and finally decided to make an account, so this should be fun!

It's funny that you should mention Dan Slott's behavior toward fans this episode; he recently harassed me over on CBR by repeatedly claiming that I was a previously banned poster using a "sock-puppet" account to continue "trolling". Aside from being completely false, the only reason he made that baseless accusation was because I said I wasn't a fan of his current work. I was not disrespectful or rude towards him in the slightest. In fact, I actually complimented some of his older work and his consistently strong characterizations of Doctor Octopus and Anna Maria Marconi. But did that deter Slott's bombardment? Nope; he continued to make the same tired accusations of me being a previously banned troll who is "taking shots directly at [him]" while simultaneously claiming that my civil behavior was just an act. The CBR moderator, Thomas Mets, has since deleted that particular conversation for being off-topic, but I think it really says a lot about what kind of person Slott is.

Welcome to the board! While I'm happy to see you here, I will warn you that this is also what I was afraid of, because Slott is hostile towards members of the Crawlspace simply for being members of the Crawlspace, and as soon as Slott realizes that you've joined here, he will hold that against you. You're doing nothing wrong, it's just that Slott is now going to feel vindicated for harassing you.

The people here who have seen you on CBR are completely on your side, so I think you'll find plenty of friends here, myself included.
Spider-Man is Peter Parker, not Peter Pan.
Phantom Roxas
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Masked Guy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Phantom Roxas wrote:
Masked Guy wrote:Great episode, guys (and girl)! I've been a fan for awhile and finally decided to make an account, so this should be fun!

Welcome to the board! While I'm happy to see you here, I will warn you that this is also what I was afraid of, because Slott is hostile towards members of the Crawlspace simply for being members of the Crawlspace, and as soon as Slott realizes that you've joined here, he will hold that against you. You're doing nothing wrong, it's just that Slott is now going to feel vindicated for harassing you.

The people here who have seen you on CBR are completely on your side, so I think you'll find plenty of friends here, myself included.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm sure Slott will have a field day when he finds out I've recently joined the CrawlSpace, but he's constantly trying to stir up trouble anyway.
Masked Guy
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby MisterMets » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:33 am

Not to continue another board's fight here, but Slott wasn't suspicious of you just because you weren't a fan of his current work.

You joined CBR shortly after two people who were among his more vocal critics got banned (one permanently; one temporarily), and you seemed quite familiar with specific arguments. Not that I hide it, but you did refer to me by my full name rather than my username.

It's certainly possible for someone to join a message board and become an active poster, especially at a time when hype for a character is greatest (several weeks before the movie.)

But there have been times in the past when people have gotten banned from CBR, and made new accounts to get around that.
MisterMets
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Cheesedique » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:47 pm

Welcome aboard, to the boards MG. Cleaning up after Slott's bad behavior is what they're often forced to do over at CBR.

MisterMets wrote:Not to continue another board's fight here, but Slott wasn't suspicious of you just because you weren't a fan of his current work.

You joined CBR shortly after two people who were among his more vocal critics got banned (one permanently; one temporarily), and you seemed quite familiar with specific arguments. Not that I hide it, but you did refer to me by my full name rather than my username.

It's certainly possible for someone to join a message board and become an active poster, especially at a time when hype for a character is greatest (several weeks before the movie.)

But there have been times in the past when people have gotten banned from CBR, and made new accounts to get around that.

Why do you the mods allow Slott to badger, harass and be nasty to people, in full violation of the rules, with absolutely no consequences except towards the people he goes after?
Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Masked Guy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:21 pm

MisterMets wrote:

Not to continue another board's fight here, but Slott wasn't suspicious of you just because you weren't a fan of his current work.

You seem like a reasonable fellow, Thomas, but I really don't see how you can defend Slott's behavior in that instance. It was entirely unprovoked and baseless. The fact that he continued the harassment and accusations on two entirely separate threads (which have also since been deleted) with even more openly hostile behavior really just made him seem like an incredibly petty and insecure individual. I even tried to be civil and reasonable with him along with praising some of his past work, but he still treated me with contempt and suspicion. I understand that you're a big fan of his work based off of some previous comments I've seen from you, but his behavior there was very poor and unprovoked. Some of my favorite writers are J.M. DeMatteis, Gerry Conway and Roger Stern, but I certainly wouldn't condone that kind of behavior coming from them.

I apologize if this comment feels accusatory, as that isn't my intention. Again, you seem like a polite individual and I think you and I could have some pretty interesting Spider-Man related conversations; I just really don't think Slott's attitude towards me was justified.
Masked Guy
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby MisterMets » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:45 am

Cheesedique wrote:

Welcome aboard, to the boards MG. Cleaning up after Slott's bad behavior is what they're often forced to do over at CBR.

MisterMets wrote:Not to continue another board's fight here, but Slott wasn't suspicious of you just because you weren't a fan of his current work.

Why do you the mods allow Slott to badger, harass and be nasty to people, in full violation of the rules, with absolutely no consequences except towards the people he goes after?
I can't speak for anyone else. I don't think his behavior is that bad, and if we enforced the rules that rigidly, we'd have to remove a lot of discussion.

Masked Guy wrote:You seem like a reasonable fellow, Thomas, but I really don't see how you can defend Slott's behavior in that instance. It was entirely unprovoked and baseless. The fact that he continued the harassment and accusations on two entirely separate threads (which have also since been deleted) with even more openly hostile behavior really just made him seem like an incredibly petty and insecure individual. I even tried to be civil and reasonable with him along with praising some of his past work, but he still treated me with contempt and suspicion. I understand that you're a big fan of his work based off of some previous comments I've seen from you, but his behavior there was very poor and unprovoked. Some of my favorite writers are J.M. DeMatteis, Gerry Conway and Roger Stern, but I certainly wouldn't condone that kind of behavior coming from them.

I apologize if this comment feels accusatory, as that isn't my intention. Again, you seem like a polite individual and I think you and I could have some pretty interesting Spider-Man related conversations; I just really don't think Slott's attitude towards me was justified.
I appreciate your opinion.

Why do you refer to me by my first name?
MisterMets
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Masked Guy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:58 am

MisterMets wrote:
Cheesedique wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else. I don't think his behavior is that bad, and if we enforced the rules that rigidly, we'd have to remove a lot of discussion.

Masked Guy wrote:You seem like a reasonable fellow, Thomas, but I really don't see how you can defend Slott's behavior in that instance. It was entirely unprovoked and baseless. The fact that he continued the harassment and accusations on two entirely separate threads (which have also since been deleted) with even more openly hostile behavior really just made him seem like an incredibly petty and insecure individual. I even tried to be civil and reasonable with him along with praising some of his past work, but he still treated me with contempt and suspicion. I understand that you're a big fan of his work based off of some previous comments I've seen from you, but his behavior there was very poor and unprovoked. Some of my favorite writers are J.M. DeMatteis, Gerry Conway and Roger Stern, but I certainly wouldn't condone that kind of behavior coming from them.

I appreciate your opinion.

I just thought that would be the friendly thing to do. Do you prefer "Mr. Mets" instead?
Masked Guy
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Phantom Roxas » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:57 pm

MisterMets wrote:I can't speak for anyone else. I don't think his behavior is that bad, and if we enforced the rules that rigidly, we'd have to remove a lot of discussion.

A lot of people have criticized Slott's behavior, so "I don't think his behavior is that bad" is not a valid excuse. People try to convince you that his behavior is that bad, and find it rather unusual that you would think his behavior is acceptable. It's not that you'd have to enforce the rules more rigidly. When it comes to Slott, it seems that the rules are not enforced at all. What's more frustrating is that when people try to follow the rule of "report, don't engage", that person is instead punished for using the report feature. I could understand if someone was abusing the report button, but that is hardly the accuse. It's not that they abused that feature, it's that they used it at all to hold Slott accountable, and for some reason, "Slott cannot be held accountable for his actions" seems to be more important than enforcing the rules.

Think of it another way. If users are on the receiving end of Slott's harassment, then the right thing for those users to do would be to report Slott, because they hope that a moderator could perhaps reason with Slott. If the moderator sees that Slott's behavior isn't bad, then it means that the users hopes were let done. Since Slott is not warned of his behavior, he seems to take that as permission to continue harassing people as he did before. You would have to remove a lot of discussion because Slott's contributions to those discussions largely involve harassing people. I think quelling harassment is more important than any other concerns you may have. Please consider that there is merit to people's concerns, instead of dismissing them on the grounds that their concerns involve pointing out that Slott did something wrong. You would rather shoot the messenger than listen to the message.

To give an idea, you know how Al Capone was finally brought down for tax evasion? That's what it feels like with Slott. The blatantly obvious problems with Slott get dismissed outright, so people have to settle for calling Slott out for pettier offenses, because it seems like nothing Slott can do will get him in trouble. He gets away with it just because he is the one who did it.

Do you agree, without any qualifiers or any snide remarks at Masked Guy's expense, that Slott was unconditionally inaccurate in making an accusation towards someone who was not guilty of the accused offense? Keep in mind, he also made a similar accusation towards Big Al / Spidercide, who was similarly banned after Slott publicly accused him, even though Slott was unconditionally inaccurate then as well.
Last edited by Phantom Roxas on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spider-Man is Peter Parker, not Peter Pan.
Phantom Roxas
Avenger
Avenger

Postby MisterMets » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:54 pm

Masked Guy wrote:
MisterMets wrote:I appreciate your opinion.

I just thought that would be the friendly thing to do. Do you prefer "Mr. Mets" instead?
Mets is fine, too.

It just feels weird if I'm the only one being called by my christian name.
MisterMets
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Spideydude » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Alrighty.

Let's move the topic over.
This Post was Brought to you by... Spideydude! Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator!
Check out My Exclusive Online SeriesCrawl Space Avengers!
CSA Member Since 2003 Delta House Member: Cyclone

JR Fettingers Marvel:I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.

Spideydude
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Texas Panhandle Chapter of the Crawl Space Command Center