Podcast #460-What did you think?

Leave a Message to BD, general notes about the site, or ask a question on the podcast!

Moderators: PartyHardy, stillanerd, BD

Podcast #460-What did you think?

Postby BD » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:29 am

What did you think of the show?

The opening song is here.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Podcast #460-What did you think?

Postby MRstarkiller360 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Hanging With the Spider-Man of the Science Department : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhzlIqWvMbo&t=3s
So in honor of Brad having a teacher gig, I found this and decided to share with you guys! [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]

Also I loved JR, response to the new Spectacular Spider-Man book's cover : "How cute! How Enfing cute!". I lost after that bit! :lol:

Regarding the numbering : I think it's been confirmed that we are nearing ASM 750. So they won't include Superior apperantly.
Which is weird since SSM was, like it or not, a major thing for Spider-Man that affected his story. Also I'm surprised that they won't include, not only Superior, but also the .1 series because if they included them, Marvel would actually be nearing ASM 800.
MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Postby George Berryman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:29 pm

MRstarkiller360 wrote:Hanging With the Spider-Man of the Science Department : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhzlIqWvMbo&t=3s
So in honor of Brad having a teacher gig, I found this and decided to share with you guys! [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]

We actually did cover this last summer! [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif] [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]

http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/2016 ... ng-update/
--George Berryman (Delta House Member 'Bear' - Join Us Now!),
"Old School"

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MRstarkiller360 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:33 pm

George Berryman wrote:
MRstarkiller360 wrote:Hanging With the Spider-Man of the Science Department : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhzlIqWvMbo&t=3s

We actually did cover this last summer! [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif] [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]

http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/2016 ... ng-update/

Ah man, my apologies. :oops:
I saw that over "Legão dos Herois" and immidiatly though of sharing when I saw the topic during the podcast. [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]
MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Postby George Berryman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:39 pm

MRstarkiller360 wrote:Ah man, my apologies. :oops:
I saw that over "Legão dos Herois" and immidiatly though of sharing when I saw the topic during the podcast. [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]

No need for apologies! Hell I barely remembered it! smilie=spidey_lol.gif :lol:
"Old School"

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Big Al » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:05 am

In future podcasts will you guys be discussing Slott's comments about how Spider-Man is emotionally 15 years old and how him being a high school student was the original intention of the creators.
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man
Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby George Berryman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:28 am

Big Al wrote:In future podcasts will you guys be discussing Slott's comments about how Spider-Man is emotionally 15 years old and how him being a high school student was the original intention of the creators.

Probably. I don't think he'd made the remarks yet when we recorded the most recent podcast. Most of the time, when a new podcast comes out it was recorded 2-3 weeks earlier. So it'll probably be brought up the next time we record.
"Old School"

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Big Al » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:49 am

George Berryman wrote:
Big Al wrote:In future podcasts will you guys be discussing Slott's comments about how Spider-Man is emotionally 15 years old and how him being a high school student was the original intention of the creators.

Probably. I don't think he'd made the remarks yet when we recorded the most recent podcast. Most of the time, when a new podcast comes out it was recorded 2-3 weeks earlier. So it'll probably be brought up the next time we record.

In addition to the comment about Peter being emotionally 15 years old he also went on a CBR tirade about how the marriage will never return.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/18 ... dan-slott/
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Symbiobro » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:47 pm

I totally understand why some of you might be hesitant about the new Spectacular book, especially with him trying to introduce a new love interest, but I'm willing to give it a chance, just because it's not Slott. I haven't particularly disliked anything Zdarsky has done, and I've enjoyed some of his jokes. I just want to be able to buy a Spider-Man comic I can enjoy again that's in continuity.

And I'm very happy that Venom is switching to legacy numbering, and hope other marvel titles follow suit. It's definitely better than constant number ones all the time. I'm really not enjoying the Venom comic though, mostly because like Mike said, Lee is such a boring, 2 dimensional character. I would've dropped the book by now if they hadn't announced Eddie coming back. And speaking of Brock, I get that you like classic Venom Brad, but I think it would be a huge mistake to go back to that. Eddie has grown so much as a character over the past decade, and doesn't even have a reason to hate Spider-Man anymore. Going back to the stupid brain eating brute Costa talks about in his interviews would just be going backwards. Remember Sensational Spider-Man #39 when Brock cut the "demon" out of him? And you mention Eddie being pretty villainous in the Carnage book, but I don't think we were reading the same book. He was working with the government and was very protective of a young girl.

I'm really excited for the marvel legend 6 inch figures though. Looking forward to Cosmic Spidey, Moon Knight, and MJ the most.
Symbiobro
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Aziz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:26 pm

The title made me think the country burnt Spider-Man, and not Tom burning his Avengers script.
From Scimitar to Merciless, and I'm barely violent :p
BATMAN is an awesome movie

Are movies like, a new religion or something? Someone who hates and pokes fun at a popular movie is considered blasphemous or a wrong doer? Made a mistake that is not supposed to happen? Seriously?

YouTube channel Please don't use ad block, ads are how I'm supposed to get paid from my videos.
Aziz
Avenger
Avenger

Postby WolfCypher » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Symbiobro wrote: And you mention Eddie being pretty villainous in the Carnage book, but I don't think we were reading the same book. He was working with the government and was very protective of a young girl.

That part of the podcast was strange. Eddie really was far from a bad guy in Carnage. Far from it. He was finally the hero he always claimed he is in Carnage. He never turned against his team as Toxin when everyone thought he would, Manuela grew to trust him with her life when she initially depised him due to his past, he was very protective of Jubulilie, he never lost control, he even owned up to his past mistakes. He risked his life to get Manuela out of the mines at the end of the first arc and didnt hold a grudge when he learned Dixon wanted to let him die.

Gerry Conway's Eddie Brock was not a villain. Gerry Conway's Eddie Brock was the Eddie Brock we've needed for a long time; he had depth. This was an Eddie Brock we've been seeing develop over time ever since "Anti-Venom: New Ways to Live", ASM's "The Ghost of Jean DeWolf", Rick Remender's "Agent Venom" run, and it finally came full circle in Gerry Conway's "Carnage".

George Berryman wrote:Marvel is the North Korea of comic books.
WolfCypher
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Big Al » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:19 pm

I feel compelled to share my own story of the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride.

Some context though.

For me living in England America was this amazing magical larger than life place where all my favourite characters lived including Spider-Man. so the idea that there was an actual Spider-Man ride was the most mind blowing thing. But when it first opening up in 1999 the idea that I’d ever see it was like a pipe dream because not only was it faaaaaaaaaaaar away but we also couldn’t afford a trip to America. These were the days before airline flights became cheaper and we were also staying at my Grandmother’s house whilst we fixed up the dump we’d bought so we really had no money for that no matter how much i wanted to go.

But in 2001 my childhood dreams came true and we took a family holiday to Florida. The whole trip blew my mind because I was actually in the place where all the movies and TV shows I’d ever seen were set. I saw actual legit original Spider-Man comics on sale, not UK reprints or anything like that!

And I was hyped as shit for the ride. Before we entered though I of course met all the superhero characters and got my picture taken with Spider-Man and his autograph. My mother even asked him how Mary Jane was to which Spidey responded:

“You’d have to ask Peter Parker about that”

Awesome.

We got on the ride and notonly was it awesome basically seeing a whole new Spider-Man cartoon but it was my first exposure to Scream, the symbiote character featured in the ride. She was one of Venom’s ‘spwans’ from the Lethal protector series. This was also amazing since being a chld of the 90s symbiotes were my crack.

So we finally got on the ride after a long ass queue and...it broke down halfway through. We were like spinning in mid-air when everything came to a halt. My uncle looked like he was gonna have a heart attack right then and there. Then he almost did when the ride abruptly started again and a goddam flamethrower went off. When the ride was over we convinced the people in charge to give us another go on the ride as compensation.

When we finally excited there was a Green Goblin statue at the exit leading into the gift shop and I of course wanted my picture taken with him until he began to move and scared the crap out of me. Still I asked him for his autograph and he obliged after plonking him pumpkin bomb bean bag on my head.

Then we got to the gift shop.

Again gotta stress this, for me as a kid who’d NEVER been inside a real collectors or comic shop before and only imagined so much comic book and spider-man merchandise in one place at one time, including stuff I never thought I’d lay eyes on (remember this was before the internet became what it is today and I’d rarely ever used it) I was basically a kid in a candy shop.

I got myself a sweet ass Green Goblin action figure as well as a black costume action figure from the original Spider-Man Classics line of toys. This was another big deal for me. Like I said asa child of the 1990s symbiotes, Venom and the black costume was the absolute coolest things to me. But I’d never ever been able to get myself a black costume or Venom toy. But now I had and not only was it like an all round great action figure but it came with a reprint of ASM #252 meaning I got the privilege of reading the debut of the costume itself, which was in my child mind like a lost treasure.

I also picked up a trade of Kraven’s Last Hunt and Spider-Man Torment and a trade called Spider-Man’s Greatest foes which was an anthology. I still remember it getting dark as we walked through the theme parks and me reading the former story whenever we stopped and being utterly engrossed. Though I can appreciate now Torment is a bad story, for me back then I similarly fell in love with it as I poured over McFarlane’s gorgeous art at the dinner table and stuff. The Greatest Foes trade was also pretty awesome. I was already reading the comics by that point but I hadn’t read too much of the stuff before the 1990s so this trade was a great eclectic mix that gave you a fun flavour for Spider-Man’s history.

It had the debut of Mysterio, a Romita Kingpin issue from the Stone Tablet storyline, another Romita issue (I think ASM #82 or something) featuring Electro, a Steven Butler Carnage annual, ASM #316 with McFarlane’s Venom, the absolute classic ASM #12 and my personal favourite...Hobgoblin vs Drunk Spider-Man!

In the comic shop next door I also picked up my first ever issue of Spider-Girl and it was a good one too, Spider-Girl #10 where she went back in time to meet her Dad when he was a teenager.

Every Christmas from 2002-2006 onwards we went back to Florida pretty much every year and I made it a tradition to go on the Spider-Man ride every time and it was an amazing experience year in and year out.
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby spiderman252 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 am

When I went to Universal... I "interviewed" Spider-man as I was trying to do a video for "Be the biggest Spider-man fan and win a trip to the movie premier" (Side note my son screwed up the thing and didnt record it)
But anyway the guy in the suit was extremely knowledgable. Before he would give me a thumbs up, he quized me on Spider-man Trivia...
One question I remember was him asking me to name 5 different girlfriends that Spider-man / Peter Parker has had.
So I guess it just is random luck how much the guy knows ...
Gregg
spiderman252
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Big Al » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:16 pm

BTW do you guys still do message board questions or has that been discontinued?
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby George Berryman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Big Al wrote:BTW do you guys still do message board questions or has that been discontinued?

We skipped them for February due to time constraints and weren't able to record at all in March. I know though that when we were trying to figure out March, Brad had indicated he still wanted to do message board questions. It'll probably come down to how much time we have to record for any given month or what the scheduling looks like.
"Old School"

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator