Podcast #457-Friday Night Hulk Fight

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Podcast #457-Friday Night Hulk Fight

Postby BD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:42 pm

What did you think of the fight?

The opening song is here.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Podcast #456-Friday Night Hulk Fight

Postby Cheesedique » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks for the hat-tip, gentlemen. I remember when I bought this issue off of the spinner rack at the tiny convenience store back home as a kid. I was pretty tired of the cosmic Spidey crap at that point (which was nearing its end), but I've got to say, I loved seeing Spidey pummel the shit out of Hulk this issue.

Surprised no one mentioned the nod to the 1989 Batman film this issue, which I thought was pretty damn funny at the time:

Cheesedique
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Arachknight_1979 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:35 pm

I can't believe no one else has given this info because you asked it, but here's the info on the Roosevelt Island ruins. Our friends at Wikipedia say that the "ruins" is in fact the Renwick Smallpox Hospital opened in 1856 and closed a century later. It sits at the southern tip of Roosevelt Island in a park area. The island as a whole is heavily populated with 11,661 people living there as of the 2010 census. The hospital is the only ruins in New York listed on the National register of Historic Places (placed on the list in 1972) and is currently being shored up so that it can be opened to the public. The Hulk/Spidey fight (as well as the 2002 movie) get a mention in the Roosevelt Island and Renwick Hospital Wikipedia pages.
Arachknight_1979
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Big Al » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:40 pm

I admit this has nothing to do with the fight or the episode but I just found out that Brad's prized Spider-Man toilet paper with a story on it was actually written by former Spider editor Jim Salicrup
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man
Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby hornacek » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:17 pm

The title of this page is "Podcast #456-Friday Night Hulk Fight" but this is episode #457

This *is* an overpowered Spider-Man, but I liked it at the time because his upgrade in powers was a mystery to Spidey. All of a sudden he was stronger, could fly, and had new powers appearing (the eye-beams), and he had no idea why it was happening. It's not like he had to fight the Hulk so he went to Horizon Labs to create a new suit and gadgets for the battle that let him defeat the Hulk. Peter had no idea that he was gradually getting the Captain Universe powers and if I recall, I'm pretty sure they were freaking him out. So I don't really agree with the verdict that the win is "a cheat". These upgrades were thrust upon Peter without his knowledge or consent.

Doesn't the Hulk come back for a rematch after the CU powers are gone? I can't remember what issue it is, but I think the cover says something like "LAST TIME SPIDER-MAN FOUGHT THE HULK HE WAS THE COSMIC SPIDER-MAN! NOW HOW IS HE SUPPOSED TO FIGHT HIM?" I can't remember if that cover was all hype or if the Hulk actually fought Spidey to pay him back for knocking him into orbit - if it was a fight, maybe that could be a future FNF sequal?
The Crawl Space is well worth the cost of a single comic book a month.

"You just got Hornaceked!"
-Chris, episode #250

"I guarantee you Hornacek is gonna quote that ... you've been Hornaceked."
- Brad, episode #263

"Hornacek's pretty cool."
- George, episode #400
hornacek
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey