Podcast #455-ASM 22, 23, Clone #4, Renew #2,3 Reviews

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Podcast #455-ASM 22, 23, Clone #4, Renew #2,3 Reviews

Postby BD » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:31 pm

What did you think of the show?

The opening song is here.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Podcast #455-ASM 22, 23, Clone #4, Renew #2,3 Reviews

Postby George Berryman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Slight slip of the tongue while reviewing RYV #2, when I referred to sauropods as 'meat eaters.' I meant to say 'plant eaters' but guess I was talking too fast. That being said I also believe I was incorrect to refer to infer that stegasaurs (i.e. Stegron) would be classified as sauropods. They had their own suborder, Stegosauria. My bad! smilie=spidey_lol.gif
--George Berryman (Delta House Member 'Bear' - Join Us Now!),
"Old School"

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MRstarkiller360 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:56 pm

The little girl might be Mayday Parker where if Marvel is forcing Slott to continue Joe Kelly's Spider-Man/Deadpool Story thread, Slott might come back and use this as a point and say that he has been setting things up all along to undo OMD!

Regarding Billy Connors : I have a question, The clones made by Ben27 remeber everything to the point that they died and so, Billy remembers everything that transpired in which him being devoured by his own father however here is my question :
How the hell did Ben27 aquired samples to make Billy ? Because the only for you to get a sample would be, in Billy's case... :shock: Oh, no.
MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Symbiobro » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Great podcast you guys.

I feel really bad for Zack. He finally gets Ben back and this is what happens. Beware the monkey paw.
I've never had a particular love for Ben since he's kind of before my time, but I've always liked his makeshift costume, and I've always enjoyed the idea of the Parker brothers. Kaine's always gonna be my Scarlet Spider though. And speaking of Scarlet Spider, I'm glad Yost is finally getting the love he deserves. He's gotten so good over the years, and I'm loving his work.

I think my favorite line from the podcast was George with the executions line. That was great.

And I really liked the panel of the Lizard playing soccer with his family. The imagery made me smile despite not making any sense since Billy wouldn't want to.
Symbiobro
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Cheesedique » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Still probably not even halfway through this podcast, and I'm completely lost as to what's going on in Clonespiracy.

Certainly sounds like an overly-convoluted story, one that I'm glad I'm not spending $$$ on.
Cheesedique
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Timmyb52 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Fantastic episode...as usual you guys are right on with your reviews and opinions concerning Slott's bad writing, and with every show you guys always make me laugh!
[smilie=spidey_clap.gif]
Timmyb52
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby BD » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:25 pm

I gave the book higher marks than most of the
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Big Al » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:05 am

A quick point about Renew Your Vows #2.

JR made mention of how he feels MJ and Peter are too indulgent of Annie because they say that it’s her job to make trouble and their job to reign her in.

I actually think that was a very subtle reference on Conway’s part to Mary Jane’s backstory. If you recall her father would become verbally abusive of her, her sister and her mother, losing his tempter at the drop of a hat meaning she would have to tip toe around him.

So the scene where she is telling Annie that she doesn’t have to be apprehensive over making her or Peter mad makes a lot of sense. She is ensuring her daughter never feels the way she felt growing up with her own father.

I take Ashley’s point about MJ with powers defeating the purpose of there beign tension between a hero and a civilian relationship and rips off Black Cat a little. I think MJ with powers is kind of cool but far from what I want or what I think we as a fandom need.

I get that it gives her a more active role in the series but for decades she and Alfred were fine in the supporting roles they had without needing to go into the field of combat. A similar set up exists in the current Superman titles.

If nothing else I kind of feel it takes away from Peter to have him partner up with MJ. I’d rather he be the main action hero whilst MJ is the deuteragonist when it comes to the more down to Earth stuff and Annie is maybe in-training with her father.

Ben Reilly being a villain is an atrocious way to bring the character back and goes against everything anyone ever liked about him. It gains nothing because an evil Spider-Man is what you get between Doc Ock and Venom anyway and a guy who knows Peter personally and can get under his skin is what you get from Norman or Harry knowing Peter’s identity. In fact Harry as a villain equates to anything Ben could do since like Ben Peter has a deep friendship with him, thus making his turn to villainy sting even more. So Ben as a villain is pointless.

The Gwen conversation did nothing new and honestly didn’t make a lot of sense. It maybe makes you look at Gwen differently but all the changes could be explained away by saying between the trauma of dying, resurrecting, seeing her father again and being in denial over being a clone Gwen is not in her right mind in this story.

JR, regarding ASM #500 I don’t see what exactly was lacking about the conversation with Uncle Ben?

Peter asked Ben for his forgivness and Ben responded as you’d expect him to, by saying he’s got nothing to be forgiven for. Then the conversation moved onto what Ben, as Peter’s father, would naturally be the most concerned about. That is to say Peter’s happiness and well-being.

Ben puts his son on the spot after Peter’s just relived all his battles and struggles in the space of a single day and asks him straight if he is truly happy and fulfilled with his life. Something any parent would want to know about their child whether they were 5 or 50 years old. In fact for Ben who isn’t present in Peter’s life anymore and can plainly see Peter is a fully grown man for whom Ben cannot do any more in raising and shaping, the question of if he did a good job as a parent and if Peter is happy with his life would be even more pressing.

And Peter says that at the end of the day in truth he is.

What more really needed to be said between him and Ben?

They didn’t have any unfinished business to settle beyond the issue of Peter’s role in Ben’s death which Ben handwaved at the start of the conversation because of course Uncle Ben isn’t going to hold Peter responsible for that.

So again, what honestly needed to be addressed beyond that (I am genuinely asking)?
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man
Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby hornacek » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:47 pm

MRstarkiller360 wrote:Regarding Billy Connors : I have a question, The clones made by Ben27 remeber everything to the point that they died and so, Billy remembers everything that transpired in which him being devoured by his own father however here is my question :
How the hell did Ben27 aquired samples to make Billy ? Because the only for you to get a sample would be, in Billy's case... :shock: Oh, no.

There is a corpse of Billy Connors in a grave. It was already dug up during Big Time (?) when Spidey worked at Horizon Labs. I think it was when the Lizard was in control but he was in Connors' body. They dug up the body for "reasons" and partially showed it, implying that there were bite marks and pieces missing, but that most of his body was there. The Lizard didn't eat him all up.
The Crawl Space is well worth the cost of a single comic book a month.

"You just got Hornaceked!"
-Chris, episode #250

"I guarantee you Hornacek is gonna quote that ... you've been Hornaceked."
- Brad, episode #263

"Hornacek's pretty cool."
- George, episode #400
hornacek
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby hornacek » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Something that really stood out to me in the Clone Conspiracy and ASM issues were the interactions between Gwen and Captain Stacy. He calls her "Gwendy" a lot. It's been awhile since I read the Captain Stacy issues, but didn't he always call her "Gwendolyn" or "Gwen"? Wasn't it Peter that called her "Gwendy"? Wasn't "Gwendy" Peter's pet name for her? Isn't this like CS calling her "Honey" or "Baby"? It just feels weird.

Also, "Gwendy" is just a dumb nickname. The whole point of a nickname is to shorten your name, but "Gwen" is shorter than "Gwendy" - you're doubling the number of syllables by saying "Gwendy". Also, "Gwen" is already a nickname for "Gwendolyn". Maybe it made sense in the 60s, but I always thought Peter calling her "Gwendy" was silly. Each time in those old issues it really made me think "That's right, this is a middle-aged man writing what he thinks teenagers sound like."
The Crawl Space is well worth the cost of a single comic book a month.

"You just got Hornaceked!"
-Chris, episode #250

"I guarantee you Hornacek is gonna quote that ... you've been Hornaceked."
- Brad, episode #263

"Hornacek's pretty cool."
- George, episode #400
hornacek
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey