Super Colossal Giant Size Massive Venom Update!

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Postby OsGob27 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:39 pm

You know, with the long narrow chin, the crazed smile, the wild hair - he couldn't possibly be a knock off of some other supervillain could he? Well, not a knock off - an homage. Yeah that's what it is.

My god, it literally looks like he traced over a Joker image from a Batman comic and changed the color scheme! Yikes! :shock:

I'm still not a comic reader aside from trade paperbacks dealing with characters I like (my Revenge of the Green Goblin is still my prize), so my experience is usually limited to A) The Spider-Man movies, B) The mid-90's animated series, C) Video games, D) Action Figures pertaining to all of the above, and E) Your articles. That being said:

Visually, Venom and Carnage are very appealing. They were at the top of my favorites list when I was a kid for the same reason that The Lizard was number 1 on said list: I liked the way they looked. But I never got into any of their psychologies, couldn't really get a grasp on who the characters were or what they'd do or say in a given situation. And I still feel like they have mostly just the bare-bones of a characterization.

And yet...I love my Carnage action figure, and I'm completely stoked to see Venom on screen this May (and played by Eric Foreman no less! I sooo want to see Venom kick Spidey's butt and then turn around and have his own butt kicked by Kurtwood Smith!).

If I'm ever reccommended a well-written story starring either, I'll snap it up in a heartbeat. To me, Venom and Carnage will be like that cartoon you loved as a kid that, as an adult, you can tell is incredibly stupid and yet you still watch intently and lovingly if you find reruns while channel-surfing someday.

That's my two cents.

Also, J.R., I can't tell from your cryptic message, but will there eventually be a Part 3 proper, or is this the end of the series as it stands?
Follow that cold shiver running down your spine...

If thou didst ever they dear father love, revenge his foul and most unnatural murder!
OsGob27
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:48 pm

OsGob27 wrote: I sooo want to see Venom kick Spidey's butt and then turn around and have his own butt kicked by Kurtwood Smith!

And I sooo wish I had thought of that one myself...

OsGob27 wrote:Also, J.R., I can't tell from your cryptic message, but will there eventually be a Part 3 proper, or is this the end of the series as it stands?

I didn't intend to be cryptic - there will eventually be a continuation of the series, but (1) I want to finish the series on Harry first (2) Start my 2006 Year in Review (3) Continue to update my old articles (I've been making changes here and there). As it turned out - I actually went one part further on Venom than I originally intended - combining parts 2 & 3 into one big update. Also, stopping for awhile at the end of "Lethal Protector" seemed to be a natural ending point for the series at this time.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby OsGob27 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:31 am

It's just I've been printing your articles out for a friend who never goes on the computer, and I didn't want to go for the Venom one until the series was finished.
Follow that cold shiver running down your spine...

If thou didst ever they dear father love, revenge his foul and most unnatural murder!
OsGob27
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Spidey418 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:25 pm

Greatly enjoyed the article once again, thank you. It's a large gulp of fun in my hectic last semester of college.

Looking forword eagerly to the Year in Review.

And "The Hero Killers" Annuals crossover! yes! I still have those bastards in polybags somewhere! I completly forgot about that backstory.
Spidey418
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Hobo-Goblin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:47 am

Always a big fan of all your articles, MG.

I liked that you mentioned that Venom has a fun sense of humor, but I felt that no one wrote him to his full potential in that regard. Some of his dialogue was pretty painful ("Time for...snacks!")

As a former journalist, I felt that Eddie should be a bit more clever and witty than that.
Hobo-Goblin
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby BackinBlack » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:56 pm

MadGoblin wrote:
OsGob27 wrote: I sooo want to see Venom kick Spidey's butt and then turn around and have his own butt kicked by Kurtwood Smith!

And I sooo wish I had thought of that one myself...

OsGob27 wrote:Also, J.R., I can't tell from your cryptic message, but will there eventually be a Part 3 proper, or is this the end of the series as it stands?

I didn't intend to be cryptic - there will eventually be a continuation of the series, but (1) I want to finish the series on Harry first (2) Start my 2006 Year in Review (3) Continue to update my old articles (I've been making changes here and there). As it turned out - I actually went one part further on Venom than I originally intended - combining parts 2 & 3 into one big update. Also, stopping for awhile at the end of "Lethal Protector" seemed to be a natural ending point for the series at this time.

Will Maximum Carnage be in the next update?
BackinBlack
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Venom65437 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:15 pm

JR not go in depth about his favorite Spider-Man story of all time? Come on now! :lol:
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby slave83b » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:43 pm

OsGob27 wrote:
You know, with the long narrow chin, the crazed smile, the wild hair - he couldn't possibly be a knock off of some other supervillain could he? Well, not a knock off - an homage. Yeah that's what it is.

My god, it literally looks like he traced over a Joker image from a Batman comic and changed the color scheme! Yikes! :shock:

Not gonna lie, with the picture in the article, I actually thought "Conan O'Brien on acid" before "the Joker".

As for the article itself, great as always.

There is however one point I wanted to raise.

You spent a good deal of the article talking about how Peter seemed to accept Venom's so-called sense of honor a little too easily ("Beneath that costume, Eddie Brock is just a screwed up human being."), even going as far as to make that "let's just leave one another alone" deal. I just wanted to point out that, as naive and even flat out stupid as that was, it wasn't entirely out of character. As I'm sure you of all people remember, before Gwen died, Peter was actually very forgiving of Norman Osborn. This was entirely on the grounds of Osborn's (and later Brock's) obvious mental illness. Of course, as intelligent as Peter is, you would think that would be EXACTLY the sort of mistake he would learn from, but nonetheless, it establishes a precedent.

Can't wait for whatever you finish next.
slave83b
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby sshspooky » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:40 pm

looking in a store in the uk i saw a spidey comic under i think a marvel classics range, and it was a 100 page special of an amazing spiderman, the issue with venom and carnage where spidey makes a deal with venom then they go on to fight carnage. say what you will about the writing but i looked at that and thought the artwork was fantastic!
sshspooky
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Venom65437 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:52 pm

I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but your line about no woman complaining about a guy being so big was just freakin' HILARIOUS! It reminded me of something that happened no my favorite show, The Shield, that probably isn't appropriate for this board...
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby MsMarvel1 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:21 am

I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but your line about no woman complaining about a guy being so big was just freakin' HILARIOUS!

You'd be surprised ... ever see Kinsey?
MsMarvel1
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Sheephead » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:40 pm

Great article JR!

I got into Spidey from the 90's cartoon initially, then started buying Astonishing Spider-Man shortly afterwards. For any who may not know Astonishing is almost like a small trade for UK readers, usually collecting 2 parts of an ongoing story, plus a classic Spidey story in most issues, for quite an affordable price. The only downside to this is it's something like 3 or 4 years behind the US comics!

Anyway, at that time they were somewhere fairly early into the Clone Saga, and the first issue(finally bringing this to the topic of Venom) I actually bought had Scarlet Spider vs Venom.

Now, considering that Scarlet had never encountered Venom before, and being somewhat familiar with Venom as one of Spidey's more powerful villains, I was surprised that Scarlet beat Venom so easily, with his only advantage over Spidey being the impact webbing stinger things. Another thing which was a bit above my reckoning at the time, but I now see a bit clearer, is that Scarlet was baffled by Spidey's "truce" with Venom, seeing him only as a psychotic menace that needed to be incarcerated.

Is it possible that even at this point, Marvel were planting seeds for Ben Reilly to be the "real" Spider-Man? After all, he beat Venom (arguably)more soundly and unflichingly than Spidey had managed up until this point(yes, he had injured his ankle and was physically exhausted, but he was the clear winner if I remember correctly).

Of course, it is possible that Reilly was unafraid of Venom because he didn't have the threat of secret identity to worry about(was his Spidey sense also ineffective against Venom?), had no close ties to or felt any responsibility for Venom, and also because he wanted to prove himself against one of Spidey's more formidable foes.

Or maybe, Marvel just wanted Ben Reilly to have an impressive impact, and move away from the symbiotes and towards the Clone Saga.

It's possible that I'm incorrect on a few details, it's a long time since I read that story and unfortunately it was thrown away at some point! I'm sure I remember one of the female symbiotes being involved as well, the yellow one with the crazy hair, I forget her name!

I was really into Venom at the time, and even had the Venom: Lethal Protector and Venom vs Carnage trades at the time, but as time has gone, I've really started to appreciate the classic villains more, especially Green Goblin, and Venom and Carnage less.

Anyway, sorry to drag on so much, I got carried away reminiscing! If anyone could correct me on my recollections I'd be very grateful!
Sheephead
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Venom65437 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:27 pm

I'm pretty sure over at Life of Reilly one of the contributors who worked on the Clone Saga said it was important for Ben to have a decisive victory over Venom, to win fans over to his side. By this time they were already planning to make him the real Spider-Man, and they wanted to show what a bad ass he was by having him decisively beat an enemy Peter never did.
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Sheephead » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:58 pm

Ah! That explains that then! Thanks for that!
Sheephead
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:07 am

BackinBlack wrote:

Will Maximum Carnage be in the next update?

Not until the end of the Harry series (I'm thinking of finishing that off in one large article as well) and the 2006 Year in Review. We're looking at mid-summer before 2006 YR is completed
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator