Squandered Legacy Part 4 - Comment

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Squandered Legacy Part 4 - Comment

Postby sshspooky » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:05 pm

I've read the series before, but recently i read the Life of Reilly series linked to in the links section. fantastic articles. anyway, i recently went back and read SL Part 4, and this section jumped out to me as i read it:

Squandered Legacy Part 4 wrote:As we open Part 4 of this series, the Clone Saga is ending, and due to the vagaries of the publishing schedule, we come to one of the straggling final appearances of Spider-Ben in Spider-Man Unlimited #14 (December 1996), where we meet an unexpected guest star. During a swanky party attended by J. Jonah Jameson, he is approached by businessman George Vandergill (remember him from Roger Stern's run on Amazing Spider-Man?) and an associate about a plan to inject some much needed cash into the Daily Bugle. Jameson rebuffs them, and then is approached by a familiar face...

Now, I have no idea whether this was a warm-up for next month's debut of Stern's HobGoblin Lives mini, or sheer coincidence. I can't even speculate. The writer on this issue was Glenn Herdling, of whom I know nothing."

I found it interesting, as in LoR 31 (http://www.newcomicreviews.com/GHM/spec ... ly/31.html) Glenn Herdling writes:

Glenn Herdling wrote:Tom and I were developing a new three-issue limited series called SPIDER-MAN: HOBGOBLIN LIVES, to be published after the conclusion of the clone saga. HOBGOBLIN LIVES was going to reveal once and for all who the original Hobgoblin really was. The project was being written by Roger Stern, the creator of the Hobgoblin, and without a doubt one of the best Spider-Man writers of all time. I had been trying to lure Roger back to do a Spider-Man project for quite a while. Given the chance to finally resolve the Hobgoblin mystery the way he'd always intended, Roger simply couldn't say no to me. (For those of you who weren't aware, Roger Stern never intended for Ned Leeds to be the Hobgoblin. Roger actually left the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN series before revealing the Hobgoblin's true identity. That task ultimately fell to writer Peter David and editor James Owsley, who came up with their own solution, which saw print several years after Roger's departure.) As with the SPIDER-MAN: REDEMPTION limited series, Tom Brevoort allowed me to be the hands-on editor of HOBGOBLIN LIVES, and I got to work very closely with Roger in developing the story.
Back when Roger was the regular writer of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and had first introduced the Hobgoblin, he had a number of characters set up as suspects, any of whom could have possibly turned out to be the super-villain. Among them: Daily Bugle photographer Lance Bannon, J. Jonah Jameson, wealthy businessmen George Vandergill and Roderick Kingsley, and Osborn Industries executive Donald Menken. Over the years, several of these characters had been killed off or deposited in that zone we refer to as "comic book limbo." Lance Bannon, for example, had been killed off pretty definitively in the early 90s. For the HOBGOBLIN LIVES series, Roger hoped to reuse some of the old suspects-at least the ones who were still alive. Because, as it turned out, one of those old suspects was going to revealed as the original Hobgoblin.

Donald Menken hadn't been seen in a comic book since Roger stopped writing AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. Roger and I agreed that it would be kind of jarring and dramatically ineffective to just drop Menken and the other long-lost suspects into HOBGOBLIN LIVES from out of the clear blue and give them prominent roles in the story. With them having been unseen for so long, many readers would have no idea who they were, and even faithful, longtime readers might have a hard time remembering them and their relevance to the series. We hoped that maybe these characters could start appearing again throughout the main Spider-Man books in the months leading up to HOBGOBLIN LIVES.

I went to Spider-Man editor Ralph Macchio and asked if it would be possible to use the main Spider-Man books, and possibly SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED, to reintroduce some of the characters that Roger had intended to use. Ralph immediately agreed. I had Roger write up a list of the specific characters he wanted reintroduced, and what key information he wanted revealed about them when they made their appearances. Roger came through with the list, and with Ralph's assistance, I was able to coordinate with Todd Dezago and Glenn Herdling (who was going to be writing the next issue of the quarterly UNLIMITED). Todd and Glenn were very cooperative. Todd, as you read above, dealt with Menken, and wrote a very good scene for him with Liz Osborn. Glenn dealt with some of the other characters on Roger's list, and you can read more about that below. But thanks to Todd and Glenn, all of these "suspects" were set up perfectly for their roles in HOBGOBLIN LIVES.

I just found it interesting how Glenn talked about bringing in the characters to set up Hobgoblin Lives while in the article JR wasn't sure if these elements were setup for the series or just coincidence. I'm glad they were setup, makes things much more cohesive.
sshspooky
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Re: Squandered Legacy Part 4 - Comment

Postby MadGoblin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:14 am

Yeah, I read that - which just illustrates the need to go through the painful and slow process of updating all of the articles. I'm working on it.....
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spidey418 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:31 am

I think I've even mentioned this particular point to you before.

Now that I'm actually hunting around at local used bookstores for the complete Clone Saga, I think I'll read those articles again when I'm done.
Spidey418
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Venom65437 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:42 pm

Hey Spidey418, if you can take less than NM, you can get A LOT of the Clone Saga issues dirt cheap at mycomicshop.com. Even cheaper if you join their mailing list and wait for Spidey issues, (or other categories they would fall in) to go on sale.
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger