"Secret Identity" now up at Spidey Kicks Butt!

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

"Secret Identity" now up at Spidey Kicks Butt!

Postby MadGoblin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:31 pm

I take a brief break from Harry Osborn to discuss the latest controversy in the Spider-Man universe - the Unmasking! Is it a lame Marvel stunt - or a logical direction for Spidey? Without further ado Secret Identity.

And don't miss the Peter David/Spider-Man Crawlspace podcast!
Last edited by MadGoblin on Mon May 21, 2007 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Janoe-42 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Some good explanations there. I'd like to see them work out the secret identity thing so everyone still knows who he is but the stories will still work well.
Janoe-42
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby BD » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:16 am

JR,
Another great article. I totally agree how Peter and Tony weren't really that close. It was kind of a forced thing over the last year or so.

Also I love you quoting all the different times Spider-Man has almost gone public. I'd forgotten about a lot of those.

Keep up the good work. I'm still looking forward to the 2006 year in review and I hope Venom.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Thanos6 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:19 am

Just as long as they find some way to make Pete and the Bugle staff friends again. Good column, JR.
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Venom65437 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:45 am

JR, I have to admit, I was really impressed with this one. More so than usual, if only because it made me re-evaluate my view point a little bit. I had forgotten about the other times he almost went public, so thanks for refreshing my memory, and I thought you made a pretty good argument for why it's something Peter would do. At the end of the day though, I still don't think he would have ultimately done it, but I've come to respect the opposite point of view though.

And I agree on how forced Tony and Peter's relationship felt, as well as event after event in Peter's life, I'm so tired of it all.

I also agree that anyway they make everyone forget Peter's ID is a MASSIVE cop out, but at the same time, I feel it's going to happen eventually. Maybe not until Joe Q leaves, but it will happen.
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby CrazyChris » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:13 am

It was good and it was a nice break from the Goblin articles. Though I do think the Tony/Peter relationship was handled and developed much better than you give it credit for.
CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Echowarrior » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:47 am

Just read this myself...and I've gotta agree.

During my initial ruminations on Civil War and Spidey's role in it, I came to many of the same conclusions; one, that Spidey could and would do something like this if motivated to do so, and regret it for ages; two, that if he did so, MJ and May would have a degree of protection thanks to his membership in the Avengers (not complete, mind you); and three, that this needs to be permanent and simply not swept aside under the rug.

I say the first one because, let's face it, no choice is without its consequences; you buy something, and you don't have cash for something else.

I say the second one because, well, let's face it, Spidey's got a slew of super-villains who operate outside the law and don't give much of a damn about the consequences (another quibble of mine on the Civil War, but that's by the by). What was stopping Norman Osborn from thinking that he had nothing left to lose post-reveal and attacking Avengers Tower (before Front Line, anyway)? What stopped the Chameleon from gathering a bunch of second-string villains together and giving it a shot?
Next to nada is what. Having the Avengers to back you up is nice and all, especially if Ms. Marvel's along for the ride, Wolverine's handy or the Sentry's in the right mood, but short of killing the villain (which is something that most of the Avengers would frown upon, or at least have quibbles with), you know they'll try again until they get it right.

I say the third one because this has changed everything, and I don't want it to be quietly swept under the rug and forgotten about. One thing I hate about a lot of television shows is the adherence to a 'status quo'. While it's okay in something like a sitcom, I prefer the status quo to change over time within the context of a drama. Too much change in status quo too fast is something I have a problem with (the breakup, reforming and divide of the Avengers being my big example). If it's gradual, occurs over time, then yes, that's fine. But with the break-neck pace of events these days, I feel like the readers are being hit with one train after another. More than one of us is probably thinking that Marvel should slow the ride and let us catch our breath; for better or worse, that'd at least let us get used to the fact that things have changed.

That said, I've no problem with Spidey's unmasking, and I hope that everyone at Marvel has the sense to keep it like that. I know JMS would, but with him leaving the title and Spidey being back in black...well, we'll see.
William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Echowarrior
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby F.N. Spider-Man » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:42 pm

FASCINATING!
I have one little thing to add, or comment on... isn't a publicly known identity a requirement for membership in the Avengers (236 & 237)?
There are no tough jobs, only weak men.
F.N. Spider-Man
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby MadGoblin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:50 am

F.N. Spider-Man wrote:FASCINATING!
I have one little thing to add, or comment on... isn't a publicly known identity a requirement for membership in the Avengers (236 & 237)?

I don't think so. Spider-Man was rejected the the government for membership in the Avengers "because we don't know anything about him" not necessarily because they didn't know exactly who he was. This was long before Marvel turned SHIELD into an all-knowing, all-seeing oppressive entity. Captain America said nothing to him about disclosing his identity - but DID tell him that there were no secrets on the Avengers as far as powers and abilities.

At least that's what I remember.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thanos6 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:03 am

Bingo. Anytime an Avenger wanted to join but keep their identity secret, they were lead to a special room that was then triple-sealed behind them. They fed their personal data into a computer of Tony Stark's which used ultra-encryption to do a background check and make sure everything is fine. The computer then wiped any evidence of the record check, then wiped its own memory, so even Tony Stark couldn't find out.
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Kevin Cushing » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:15 am

And what, superheroes can't fake a background check? We've got 16 year olds with fake ID information, you'd think they could do something...more.
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey
Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Spidey418 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:59 am

YES!!!!

You just made my day sir. Salutations and congratulations all around for another fine article.

To me, MG's point was less than Tony was NOT a father figure so much as it was Reed or Cap make much more sense.
Spidey418
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby F.N. Spider-Man » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:09 am

MadGoblin wrote:I don't think so. Spider-Man was rejected the the government for membership in the Avengers "because we don't know anything about him" not necessarily because they didn't know exactly who he was. This was long before Marvel turned SHIELD into an all-knowing, all-seeing oppressive entity. Captain America said nothing to him about disclosing his identity - but DID tell him that there were no secrets on the Avengers as far as powers and abilities.

At least that's what I remember.

I'm going to unearth those issues... I'm thinking of a specific quote from Captain America himself that may shed some light on this subject!
F.N. Spider-Man
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby F.N. Spider-Man » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:32 pm

I went back and read Avengers 237...

"Spider-Man?! Are you out of your minds? We have a file on him that's a yard long and it still doesn't tell us a blasted thing about him! The man's a major secruity risk! NO! I ABSOLOUTLEY FORBID IT!"

- Mr. Sikorski, National Secriuty Council when asked for clearance approval for Spider-Man joining the Avengers.
F.N. Spider-Man
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Itsjustme » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:56 pm

I was really impressed. Its a very fair look at the unmasking. I think it should be a permanent thing. I hope Venom comes next.
It's always Norman Osborn. Even if that's impossible. Even if he's dead at the time. If Spider-man gets a hangnail, its Norman Osborn.
Itsjustme
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer