Hey JR...the Marvel guys are listening to you!

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Hey JR...the Marvel guys are listening to you!

Post by Thanos6 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:01 pm

In the ALL-NEW OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE: A-Z UPDATE #1, the Norman Osborn entry makes official some of your speculation. For example:
Osborn even demonstrated a degree of heroism, helping Spider-Man rescue retired Capt. George Stacy and his daughter Gwen, kidnapped at one of Osborn's plants by the Kingpin, who had hired Osborn's researcher Dr. Winkler to construct a brainwashing machine. Osborn's testimony exonerated the mind-controlled Capt. Stacy. Gwen (whose relationship with Peter was on the rocks) visited Norman to thank him in person for saving their lives, and was taken in by his powerfully charismatic personality, and sympathetic to his loneliness. The two had a sponteaneous one-time affair, which Gwen concealed from Peter.

Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venom65437 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:24 pm

Sure that really happened! :evil:

MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hey JR...the Marvel guys are listening to you!

Post by MadGoblin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:49 am

Thanos6 wrote:In the ALL-NEW OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE: A-Z UPDATE #1, the Norman Osborn entry makes official some of your speculation. For example:
Osborn even demonstrated a degree of heroism, helping Spider-Man rescue retired Capt. George Stacy and his daughter Gwen, kidnapped at one of Osborn's plants by the Kingpin, who had hired Osborn's researcher Dr. Winkler to construct a brainwashing machine. Osborn's testimony exonerated the mind-controlled Capt. Stacy. Gwen (whose relationship with Peter was on the rocks) visited Norman to thank him in person for saving their lives, and was taken in by his powerfully charismatic personality, and sympathetic to his loneliness. The two had a sponteaneous one-time affair, which Gwen concealed from Peter.

You know, my ego would like me to believe that - but I think what really happened is that one of the guys working on the updated handbooks for Marvel when they were being released in floppy form was also a contributor to Spiderfan.org. As I recall, his name was Mike, and he also happened to be a fan of my site, so he slipped that bit into the Handbook.

JMS did reference my "DeFlowering Gwen" article as an "even-handed" look at the controversy - but otherwise I don't think that anyone at Marvel knows I exist. And perhaps it's best that way, since getting "noticed" was never an objective when I started this little venture almost 9 years ago.

Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:55 pm

One Marvel contributor's as good as another. ^_^

Spider-Mike
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Spider-Mike » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:59 am

Yes, that bit in the Osborn entry I wrote was inspired by JR's writing. I'm a big fan of his analyses of that crazy Osborn mind (must be linked to that crazy Osborn hair!). Actually, the motivation for the Gwen-Norman thing is rooted in JMS' writing, but I first fleshed it out back in the Stacy Twins bios I wrote for the 2005 Spider-Man Handbook.

Every so often we have a chance to apply a little plot spackle in the Handbooks, but it requires editorial approval and if possible the writers themselves. Happened last year with explaining how Humbug survived his near-death experience by asking Jimmy Palmiotti for info on what happened off panel. Jimmy didn't intend on explaining it in Daughters of the Dragon, so we got the OK to write the explaination in the Handbook.

-Mike Fichera
Official Handbooks of the Marvel Universe

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by BD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:20 pm

Mike,
Welcome to the board. It's awesome to have someone from Marvel on the board. Hope you make yourself at home here, we're some Friendly Neighborhood webheads.
BD
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Thanos6 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:54 pm

Was the Jason Macendale entry in the BACK IN BLACK handbook also inspired by JR? It seemed to reference a lot of his criticisms of the character.

Spider-Mike
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Spider-Mike » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:13 am

Thanos6 wrote:Was the Jason Macendale entry in the BACK IN BLACK handbook also inspired by JR? It seemed to reference a lot of his criticisms of the character.
I didn't write that one..I'll ask the writer (Ronald Byrd) if he was so inspired.

-Mike

Spider-Mike
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Spider-Mike » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:47 am

Spider-Mike wrote:
Thanos6 wrote:Was the Jason Macendale entry in the BACK IN BLACK handbook also inspired by JR? It seemed to reference a lot of his criticisms of the character.
Nope, sorry - just a case of great minds thinking alike. :)

-Mike

WANDERINGHP
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by WANDERINGHP » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:24 pm

Exactly what I was going to say