The Brad Douglas Happy Birthday Post

There are times in a man’s life where one is defined. Certain days you remember forever. Your birthday is one of those days. Today, our fearless leader, the grandpoobah of our dear, beloved website, turns 36. So take this day, a remember your favorite Brad Douglas story, after the jump, I will tell you some of mine.

11 years ago, I had a guy email my site, then called Spideydude’s Spider-Man Page, asking to put a link up to his site, back when it was Geocities (With his old screen name petroc). Naturally, I complied and added the link, never thinking about it again, til about 8 years ago. I re-discovered the site, and joined it’s message board. I never thought in a million years that I would find a guy that I consider to be a true friend and dare I say, colleague.

Brad Douglas is truly a true blue bone-a-fide professional. He has handled his big name interviews with grace, and due diligence. Listen to the DeFalco/Frenz interviews. How many guys can keep a straight face when someone takes a piss while your talking to them? Or even when Stan Lee is uncorked and cussing a storm like a sailor, how many would keep from giggling like a escaped mental patient (Like someone once said he sounded like)? No one. Because there is no other guy like Brad.
Being behind the curtian, and having been there the longest outside of Kevin Cushing, you sometimes forget how it is to be a regular poster. I remember when we had to ban our first person. It was discussed on what we could do to stop the behavior of his then 12-year old who chose to act out his puberty online to a total stranger. The final nail was when he posted my somewhat dubious catchphrase, ‘F**k You’ (NOW A GRAMMY NOMINATED SONG) all over the board and made work for Kevin and I a living hell. (Took an hour to get all the shit off there, let me tell you.) and Brad logged on and made a trademark remark along the lines of, ‘Crap, that seemed like a lot of work, what a jerk.’ It was on that day I realized that I knew I could work with and respect this man.
When Brad launched the Podcast in the fall of 06, we had no idea what we were doing. You could tell. We were just starting out and we had no clue as what we were doing, and Kevin and I didn’t even have a headset-setup til at least episode 5 for Kevin and 25 for me. Despite that, I enjoyed it so much that I’ve stayed on (Although you wouldn’t think that lately) ever since. The best thing about Brad is how easy it is to be around him. He’s a guy that you could have a beer, or in his case, Mountain Dew with.

He’s a guy who’s endured much criticism for some of his decisions that he himself, and others in the Administration staff have made, from bannings, to Dan Slott unfairly calling out the Crawl Space for being Negative, to Drive by postings of Steven Wacker, no one has ever questioned Brad Douglas the man, because no one dares to, but they’ve questioned his site, but by doing so, have questioned the man.

Since he turned 35, he’s been blessed with continued traffic, and the cutest little Spider-Fan around. While turning 36 has a small cloud of uncertainty concerning his big, giant, heart of his, let there be no doubt that this day belongs to BD.

He’s assembled the greatest Spider-Man Website out there, and done it with the help of Kevin Cushing, who keeps the place from becoming a Zoo, Mike Bailey and Gerard Delatour, who offer their thoughts on the flagship title, Brian Bradly and Nathaniel Collins, who offer their views on the ‘other titles’, and guys like myself, who continually gets support from Brad for his non-functioning website, JR, who can write a disertation on Brad probably better than I can, Stella, who provides so much depth to anything she does, Bertone, who does more crap on the internet than Mike Bailey but it doesn’t seem like it these days, to the ENTIRE community of people both below this post and on the Message Board, without him assembling his Crawl Space Avengers, he wouldn’t be here right now. So take a moment, and say ‘thanks and happy birthday.’ You’ll be glad you did.

To the big brother I never had,
I love you. (In a totally Hetero Way.)
Happy F**king Birthday.
You’re one step closer to being like JR.
-Zach ‘Spideydude’ Joiner
PS Brad, your request for hookers was denied, per your lovely wife. I decided to give you the next best thing:

Only ‘Cause the Immoral George Berryman wasn’t available to deliver the goods to JoMo.

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #654.1 REVIEW

Next Article

Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #150 – Review (part 1)

You might be interested in …

39 Comments

1. Happy birthday Brad! 😀 Sorry I´m a little late.:( For some technical reasons I couldn´t enter the webpage yesterday and that made me very very sad. And thanks for providing us with the greatest comic related website past, present and future! 😀 Just wanted to repeat that you are f***ing awesome!

2. Happy Birthday Brad! This is still the only comics related site I visit and interact with on a daily basis. Keep up the great work.

3. What can I say Brad, thank you for all the work you put in to the Crawl Space to easily make it the BEST Spider-Man website around. You and the gang have become like a second family to me. Now have a Happy Birthday, and hope you have MANY more.

4. Happy 36th Birthday BD!! You’re still just a young pup compared to me : ). Thanks again for creating this awesome site. It’s the only online community that I regulary partcipate on and it’s a blast. Enjoy your day.

5. Happy birthday buddy! If that is really the cake u got for your birthday, than you truly have some wonderful friends and family. Now Im off to show my friends and family what cake I want on my next birthday…

6. Happy Birthday, Mr. Douglas! Best wishes to you and your family, Brad. Thanks for letting all of us post on such an awesome web site. 😀

7. Happy BD BD!!! Here’s hoping that you have a very healthy 36th year. Thanks for all the hours of Spidey entertainment and fun you have brought to my life.

8. Brad

Have an Excellent Birthday

All the best in the coming week

Keep us posted on your status.

Thanks for all your work in keeping the website awesome.

Give your wife and daughter a Thanks as well!!!

9. You can’t spell “BIRTHDAY” without B-R-A-D!

Happy Birthday to Brad Douglas, our Fearless Leader, & the man who makes it possible for us all to have such a great place to get together & share our love of our favorite wall-crawler.
    Thanks for everything, Brad, and have a good one!

10. Hi Brad! A Happy Birthday to You from JAPAN.
    Please keep podcasting with your friends as long as you can.
    I really enjoy your show.

Take a good care!

Cheers,

11. Happy Birthday BD! This is the first main online community that I have actually followed along with and contributed too and I gotta say it’s been a blast these past few months listening to the podcast and reading what everyone else has to say about Spidey. Thanks for bringing me in the fold and I look forward to celebrating many more birthdays with you and everybody else here.

12. Happy BD BD
    Well done using the picture of the statuette of a half black & half red Spidey Zack

13. Happy Birthday Brad! Welcome to middle age!! Your mid-life crisis should be starting any day now. 😉
    Thank you for all the work you’ve done to bring us the best site on the internet.

14. Brad,thanks for this Amazing,Spectacular,Sensational,Ultimate,Web of(Uhh… yeah) site. This is more than just a Spider-Man website and Message Board,this is a family gathering,where we laugh,cry,argue and agree. You brought together people all over the world and we DEFINITELY have to thank you!

Have a VERY VERY happy birthday and much much more,sir!

Lots of love(and Mountain Dew)
    -Dave/iron_patriot

PS-Zach,please stop it,man, you’re making me….*sob,choke*

15. Hey Brad, wishing you a happy birthday and all the best for the next 35 years and beyond. I hope all goes well this week and look after yourself.

Thanks for doing the site and making it the best spider-man site and I dare say it one of the best websites on the net. You have some great friends on the site and it shows in how much they care for you and the website. But like Spideydude says, its not just the website, but its you as the person that brings so much to table.

Keep on sharing the Spidey and never stop doing what you love!

Have a good one!

Spyboy

16. ** August 8th, 1998 (08/08/98) **
    “And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth’s biggest Spider-Man fans united together on one site. To criticize, rejoice, and voice their love for the friendly neighbourhood webslinger. Though their site may change over time, their passion for the hero will never die. On that day… the Crawlspace was born.”

“And before that there came day where the creator of said Crawlspace site was born. The Mountain Dew Company had no idea what they were getting themselves into when they started selling their drinks to this web master. But with this drink in hand; and a rag tag of fellow web spinning wonders such as Kevin, Zach, JR, Stella, Bailey and the thousands of Spider-Fans behind them; Brad Douglas becomes the God Father of Spider-Man Podcasts.”

Taking Brad out of the equation of Crawlspace does not add up. So yeah, Happy Birthday Brad and I hope you enjoyed those quotes created by me. Hope you have an amazing day with everyone that cares for you deeply and that you take good care of yourself. 🙂

17. Happy Birthday, Mr. Douglas. Thank you for the site and everything you do. I hope you have a wonderful day with your family and that everything goes well for you in the future. Take care.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *