What needs to be fixed?

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

What needs to be fixed?

Postby MadGoblin » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:25 pm

I'm in the process of retooling the site slightly to clean it up for what I'm anticipating will be a time of increased interest come the third Spider-Man film. I'm in the process of trying to update some of the articles, fix the busted links (of which there are MANY, I know), and maybe even come up with a real links page.

However, I want to know - what do YOU think should be done with the site to fix it up? It's a barebones operation and will likely stay that way (so no switchovers yet to a new software program). But there are things I am curious about such as the readability of the articles, their length, use of font and font size, scans, background colors, etc. For example, as I craft the Harry series, I anticipate it being 13 parts. I had planned, when it is finished, to consolidate it into about 4 parts and give it it's own section on the Table of Contents. But should it stay 13 small, easily digestible parts rather than be consolidated? Things like the 2005 Year in Review, which originally was about 6 parts when it ran on Hero Realm last year, was consolidated into a monstrously large article (over 40 pages). Some of the length is the result of the larger font size I deliberately use to make it easier to read on the computer screen. I also tend to think that if people see something in 4 parts, they're more likely to read it, even if the parts are longer, than if they see that something is in 13 parts.

I'd like to hear what you think. Admittedly, I'm going to do what I want anyway (much to my wife's constant irritation) - but I DO value input.
Last edited by MadGoblin on Mon May 21, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 6:42 pm

Postby Thanos6 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:39 pm

Aside from things like broken links?

Nothin'. I enjoy it the way it is. It speaks as much to your personality as the articles do, and that's a good thing.
User avatar
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Deep 13

Postby MsMarvel1 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:08 pm

I think the large, consolidated parts are better than the 13 small ones. Just my two cents, though.
User avatar
MsMarvel1
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 11:15 pm

Postby Venom65437 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:23 am

For the most part I think it's good the way it is.

One thing though, when you put them on the archive page (or whatever you call it) I think it's a good idea to put articles into less parts. For instance if you make the Harry articles 6 parts instead of 13 when they're done, I think someone is more likely to read them all. Even though they are small, 13 parts sounds like A LOT.
Image
User avatar
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:20 pm
Location: Fort Myers, Florida

Re: What needs to be fixed?

Postby BD » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:51 am

MadGoblin wrote:I'm in the process of retooling the site slightly to clean it up for what I'm anticipating will be a time of increased interest come the third Spider-Man film. I'm in the process of trying to update some of the articles, fix the busted links (of which there are MANY, I know), and maybe even come up with a real links page.

However, I want to know - what do YOU think should be done with the site to fix it up? It's a barebones operation and will likely stay that way (so no switchovers yet to a new software program). But there are things I am curious about such as the readability of the articles, their length, use of font and font size, scans, background colors, etc. For example, as I craft the Harry series, I anticipate it being 13 parts. I had planned, when it is finished, to consolidate it into about 4 parts and give it it's own section on the Table of Contents. But should it stay 13 small, easily digestible parts rather than be consolidated? Things like the 2005 Year in Review, which originally was about 6 parts when it ran on Hero Realm last year, was consolidated into a monstrously large article (over 40 pages). Some of the length is the result of the larger font size I deliberately use to make it easier to read on the computer screen. I also tend to think that if people see something in 4 parts, they're more likely to read it, even if the parts are longer, than if they see that something is in 13 parts.

I'd like to hear what you think. Admittedly, I'm going to do what I want anyway (much to my wife's constant irritation) - but I DO value input.


I dig the site as it is, but if you want to tweak it up a bit here are some suggestions.

Links Page: The page has a lot of "X"'s on it, it needs to be cleaned up etc.

Length of the articles works for me. I prefer them to be split up into chapters like they currently are. I think by splitting them up they are more readable. For instance it's easier to read online the length they are now, as opposed to five articles on one page. Some can't sit still for that long and read at one sitting.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image
Image
User avatar
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster
 
Posts: 5694
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:46 am
Location: Missouri

Re: What needs to be fixed?

Postby slave83b » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:25 am

Brad Douglas wrote:
MadGoblin wrote:I'm in the process of retooling the site slightly to clean it up for what I'm anticipating will be a time of increased interest come the third Spider-Man film. I'm in the process of trying to update some of the articles, fix the busted links (of which there are MANY, I know), and maybe even come up with a real links page.

However, I want to know - what do YOU think should be done with the site to fix it up? It's a barebones operation and will likely stay that way (so no switchovers yet to a new software program). But there are things I am curious about such as the readability of the articles, their length, use of font and font size, scans, background colors, etc. For example, as I craft the Harry series, I anticipate it being 13 parts. I had planned, when it is finished, to consolidate it into about 4 parts and give it it's own section on the Table of Contents. But should it stay 13 small, easily digestible parts rather than be consolidated? Things like the 2005 Year in Review, which originally was about 6 parts when it ran on Hero Realm last year, was consolidated into a monstrously large article (over 40 pages). Some of the length is the result of the larger font size I deliberately use to make it easier to read on the computer screen. I also tend to think that if people see something in 4 parts, they're more likely to read it, even if the parts are longer, than if they see that something is in 13 parts.

I'd like to hear what you think. Admittedly, I'm going to do what I want anyway (much to my wife's constant irritation) - but I DO value input.


I dig the site as it is, but if you want to tweak it up a bit here are some suggestions.

Links Page: The page has a lot of "X"'s on it, it needs to be cleaned up etc.

Length of the articles works for me. I prefer them to be split up into chapters like they currently are. I think by splitting them up they are more readable. For instance it's easier to read online the length they are now, as opposed to five articles on one page. Some can't sit still for that long and read at one sitting.


I'm with Brad. I've been reading your articles for a few years now, and I think the character articles work best with multiple chapters. This is especially so when each chapter has a particular theme or focus, which often seems to be the case.

In contrast, however, I prefer the year in review articles to be consolidated. Sure it can get huge, but it's the freakin' year in review, it's to be expected.
User avatar
slave83b
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:22 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Postby sshspooky » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:16 pm

i'd keep the articles in chapters as they are better for reading. i'd recommend sorting out all the links so that all the articles are on the links page. you could possibly sub-categarise the articles. i'd also suggest dropping the current format and use a centered table, with 2 columns and articles listed in both columns, with just a small picture with each list. this would keep the section smaller so it will be quicker access to articles with less scrolling.

i'd also suggest updating the front page to make it grab people more.
sshspooky
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 10:34 am

Postby OsGob27 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:56 am

I've been noticing a fair bit of typos recently in my rereadings, so you should probably hire an edtor to give that a once over. Aside from that, and moving the Unmasking, the Harry series, and the Venom series to the archives, you're solid gold.

Also, you probably already have, but I'd suggest reading the Peter David novelizations of the Spider-Movies and incorperating some of those ideas. They're fun to read, and flesh out a lot of the characterizations and events that you mentioned in your reviews of the films as severely wanting.
Follow that cold shiver running down your spine...

If thou didst ever they dear father love, revenge his foul and most unnatural murder!
User avatar
OsGob27
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Right behind you. Spooky, yes?

Postby MadGoblin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:50 am

OsGob27 wrote:I've been noticing a fair bit of typos recently in my rereadings, so you should probably hire an edtor to give that a once over.


I knew should have waited at least until my son started first grade before putting him in charge of proofreading...

Also, you probably already have, but I'd suggest reading the Peter David novelizations of the Spider-Movies and incorperating some of those ideas. They're fun to read, and flesh out a lot of the characterizations and events that you mentioned in your reviews of the films as severely wanting.


No, I haven't read them - but I do have them.
User avatar
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 6:42 pm

Postby OsGob27 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:57 pm

Also, in your Spidey 101 article about the indespensible stories, it might be interesting to note that a reprint of "The Green Goblin's Last Stand" (is that issue #122 or 123? It's terrible that I can't remember...) is included with the Marvel Legends Green Goblin action figure. Just a thought.
Follow that cold shiver running down your spine...

If thou didst ever they dear father love, revenge his foul and most unnatural murder!
User avatar
OsGob27
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Right behind you. Spooky, yes?

Postby Spider-Caster » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:46 pm

"Hey! How come Osborn is spelled "Osborne"? at the very end of the story?
Ack! I'm out of time - maybe later, eh? Like, whenever Part 4 of The Evil That Men Do comes out. Yeah, I'll get around to it then. "

:wink:

Just messing with you. I posted this on the HeroRealm forum as well, way back.
Last edited by Spider-Caster on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Spider-Caster
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:07 pm

Postby MadGoblin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:48 pm

Spider-Caster wrote:"Hey! How come Osborn is spelled "Osborne"? at the very end of the story?
Ack! I'm out of time - maybe later, eh? Like, whenever Part 4 of The Evil That Men Do comes out. Yeah, I'll get around to it then. "

:wink:

Just messing with you. I posted this on the HeroRealm forum as well, way back.


And I actually corrected it once, and then lost the changes when my software program overwrote several articles with the old versions. I'm working my may back to it though!
User avatar
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 6:42 pm

Postby switchblade » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:11 am

Perosnally, I'm not big on the white letters against a black background in the first couple Harry Osborn articles. I just find that I can read the standard black on white easier when I am reading something with a bit of length to it.
User avatar
switchblade
Webslinger
Webslinger
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:48 am
Location: upstate New York, the unrepresented region! Death to Spitzer AND his Republican opponent

Postby MadGoblin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 am

switchblade wrote:Perosnally, I'm not big on the white letters against a black background in the first couple Harry Osborn articles. I just find that I can read the standard black on white easier when I am reading something with a bit of length to it.


That will be changed when I consolidate the articles for placement in the archive. I tried something a little different and decided I didn't like it either.
User avatar
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 6:42 pm

Postby OsGob27 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:35 am

Oh, one other thing.

Several times during your Hobgoblin series, you refer to his costume as being orange and black. Yet every picture I've seen from the comics, every toy I've bought and/or seen in the store, and the rendering in Spider-Man TAS has his costume colered orange and blue.

Is one of us colorblind, or was the blue in the first appearence supposed to be highlighting black and all the artists after Frenz made a mistake?
Follow that cold shiver running down your spine...

If thou didst ever they dear father love, revenge his foul and most unnatural murder!
User avatar
OsGob27
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Right behind you. Spooky, yes?