Webslinger

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Spidey-68
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Spidey-68 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:19 pm

I agree JR this review is very spiteful. The reviewer seems very dismissive of the whole book. Saying most have the writers have failded fundamentally and that you deserve a C minus at best. Who does this guy think he is? If he's so brilliant at writing essays how come he wasn't asked to contribute to the book?

Spider-Caster
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Spider-Caster » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:10 pm

I've been an avid visiter to Spider-Fan.org and most of their reviews are well written and detailed. Whoever reviewed it sounded very spiteful to me as well, maybe somebody put web fluid in his coffee.

Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venom65437 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:07 pm

While I haven't had a chance to read WebSpinners yet, I hope that guy at least got paid to read it since he clearly didn't enjoy it much at all. :roll:

MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MadGoblin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:34 pm

The Spider-Fan guys have contributed to Spidey-lore by writing that hardback Spider-Man encyclopedia and various Marvel Handbook entries. And Spider-Fan is one of the premiere Spidey sites, along with "Sam Ruby" and the Crawlspace. So, they aren't pikers. This review just seemed unusually vituperative. He must not have read any of the other BenBella books, such as those on the X-Men, Superman, and a host of other pop culture subjects. They're all
full of ponderous navel gazing essays - which is the point. Admittedly, some successful, others not.

But hey - I'm an "academic." Bet my buddy in Joisey who's a college professor will be glad to see I earned the title without any qualifications or experience! :D

Spideydude
Administrator
Administrator
Location: Texas Panhandle Chapter of the Crawl Space Command Center

Post by Spideydude » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:47 pm

One: I've not picked up the book
that's for thursday.

two I hope that everyone gets it, as I wanted to bump the thread. lol
Yes, I broke a rule, but it's for a good cause. I figure everyone who registers the board post-movie will want to check it out. lol

-SD
This Post was Brought to you by... Spideydude! Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator!
Check out My Exclusive Online SeriesCrawl Space Avengers!
CSA Member Since 2003 Delta House Member: Cyclone

JR Fettingers Marvel:I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.

Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:33 pm

Very good book, and very good essay, J.R. (I just got it from Amazon today). Hell, yours is one of the few I don't have some level of fundamental disagreement with.

BTW: You live in Medina County, Ohio? Ever been to the Bar With No Name? :wink:

MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MadGoblin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:13 pm

Thanos6 wrote:Very good book, and very good essay, J.R. (I just got it from Amazon today). Hell, yours is one of the few I don't have some level of fundamental disagreement with.

BTW: You live in Medina County, Ohio? Ever been to the Bar With No Name? :wink:
Thank you. That's good to hear. I really haven't received much feedback about the book, which, along with it's Amazon ranking, leads me to believe that it's not setting the market on fire. But 15 minutes of fame is 15 minutes more than I had before...

As far as the Bar - that's a pretty rough crowd that hangs out there, and the mortality rate of patrons is rather high. :D Plus, since their insurance rates went through the roof after "the incident" their drinks are too expensive for me...

Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venom65437 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:55 pm

Whoa whoa whoa! I don't think so! Please tell us about "the incident." :D

Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:31 pm

Venom65437 wrote:Whoa whoa whoa! I don't think so! Please tell us about "the incident." :D
*giggles* Captain America #319. Scourge of the Underworld. One of Mark Gruenwald's very rare forays into mass character death.

Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venom65437 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:36 pm

Thanos6 wrote:
Venom65437 wrote:Whoa whoa whoa! I don't think so! Please tell us about "the incident." :D
*giggles* Captain America #319. Scourge of the Underworld. One of Mark Gruenwald's very rare forays into mass character death.
Don't I feel like a dumbass now... :lol:

I was all pumped up for a GREAT story! :lol:

Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Thanos6 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:11 am

Venom65437 wrote:
Thanos6 wrote:
Don't I feel like a dumbass now... :lol:

I was all pumped up for a GREAT story! :lol:
It's a great COMIC story, if you're willing to go hunting, the Cap 318-320 story that wrapped up the first year of the Scourge. The end of 320, in particular, is one of the very few times that a comic--and a superhero comic at that, not an EC horror--sent a real chill down my spine. Rather like the end of the very first Halloween movie, you know the Evil is still out there...you don't know where or how, but it is...just biding its time...really creepy.

Sheephead
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Sheephead » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:27 pm

I got a copy of WebSlinger earlier this year, and mostly enjoyed it. A few of the articles were a bit weak or boring, but most were good. I enjoyed yours, JR.