The podcast...

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

The podcast...

Postby Thanos6 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:54 pm

My damn speakers are broke. :(

Could anyone give me a summary?
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby BD » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:06 pm

Why don't you just hook up a headset and plug it into the speaker outputs from your computer?
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Thanos6 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:39 am

Well, I fixed the problem by saying "the hell with it" and ditching my 8 year old computer and getting a new one. :)

Pretty nice job all around. JR, you sound about what I thought you would. I know you said one time you didn't want to talk to your fans too much--since they're mostly younger than you and you'd bore them to death with talk about Fleetwood Mac (unless I'm mistaking you for Unca Cheeks)--but since I love 70's and 80's music, I wouldn't mind to have a conversation sometime. ;)
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:55 pm

Thanos6 wrote:
Pretty nice job all around. JR, you sound about what I thought you would.

I'm almost afraid to ask what that means. Loud, opinionated and obnoxious?

Thanos6 wrote:I know you said one time you didn't want to talk to your fans too much--since they're mostly younger than you and you'd bore them to death with talk about Fleetwood Mac (unless I'm mistaking you for Unca Cheeks)--but since I love 70's and 80's music, I wouldn't mind to have a conversation sometime. ;)

I'll have to revisit my wording in that article - It's not that I wouldn't want to talk to them - I just figure that instead of a getting a hip Spider-Man fan - they would feel like they were talking to a grouchy old man who would sound and act too much like their father. And that certainly is not cool.

But Stevie Nicks used to be so hot... :(
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thanos6 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:24 pm

MadGoblin wrote:
Thanos6 wrote:
Pretty nice job all around. JR, you sound about what I thought you would.

I'm almost afraid to ask what that means. Loud, opinionated and obnoxious?

Ha! Nah, just the accent. And I like someone who's willing to stick with their opinions, even if I disagree with them, as long as they don't fly completely in the face of facts (see: half the people who post at HeroChat).

MadGoblin wrote:
Thanos6 wrote:I know you said one time you didn't want to talk to your fans too much--since they're mostly younger than you and you'd bore them to death with talk about Fleetwood Mac (unless I'm mistaking you for Unca Cheeks)--but since I love 70's and 80's music, I wouldn't mind to have a conversation sometime. ;)

I'll have to revisit my wording in that article - It's not that I wouldn't want to talk to them - I just figure that instead of a getting a hip Spider-Man fan - they would feel like they were talking to a grouchy old man who would sound and act too much like their father. And that certainly is not cool.

But Stevie Nicks used to be so hot... :(

Bah, I find that sci-fi/fantasy/horror fans tend to ignore things like age or race or whatever when they get deep in discussion on their favorite subjects.

And though you made the mistake of giving your location in the podcast, I'll be sure not to tell Dr. Octavius where that is. He's still a bit peeved... ;)
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Spidey418 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:18 pm

Stevie Nicks was DEFINTELY hot. I'm only 26, though, so I wasn't there to experince it in progress.

Hey, had a thought about something you said in the podcast MG:

You were talking about your feelings towards the Clone Saga. Personally, Clone Saga is why I stopped collecting as a kid, but I've read summarized versions of the whole thing thanks to the Internet, and now I'm slowly picking up Clone Saga monthlies whenever I see thm just to give it a fair shake.

What strikes me is that, given the climate of the industry AND Joe Q's intentions, if that story were to be released today for the first time, I think it would go over better now than then.
Spidey418
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby MadGoblin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:14 pm

Spidey418 wrote:You were talking about your feelings towards the Clone Saga. Personally, Clone Saga is why I stopped collecting as a kid, but I've read summarized versions of the whole thing thanks to the Internet, and now I'm slowly picking up Clone Saga monthlies whenever I see thm just to give it a fair shake.

What strikes me is that, given the climate of the industry AND Joe Q's intentions, if that story were to be released today for the first time, I think it would go over better now than then.

I think you're right. The curiosity is getting the better of people who ignored or blew it off the first time (like me), or new readers (there are a few out there) joining in keep hearing about the thing and want to know what it was about and why it was so controversial. The challenge though, would be some kind of affordable means of packaging and selling it. All of the stories during the Clone Saga era take up nearly one long box on its own. The entire collected run of Maximum Carnage ran about $30; Secret War (the 1980's version) around $25.

HOWEVER, this might be an ideal project for electronic transmission. Rather than charge $15 a trade and have who knows how many trades; maybe group the stories (like "Power and Responsibility," "The Trial of Peter Parker" "Revelations" etc.) and charge $3 or something per download per story.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Venom65437 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:40 am

Perhaps some "Essential" volumes type of packaging would work well? I have nearly all the issues during the saga (the ones I don't are the few expensive ones.) It would be a good way for people who want to read it to get their hands on it...
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Spidey418 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:46 am

Definitely. One thing about the story was that it was overly long. It made Maximum Carnage and The Other look like one shots. If they could pare it down a bit, it would be better.

I understand what both of you are saying, but what I was trying to get to was that hypothetically speaking, if the Clone Saga NEVER happened, and the present comic industry operated in a vacuum (ie no movie tie ins to think of), that if the idea of a clone (with Ben Reilly's backstory, the whole convoluted Kaine/Traveller/Seward/Jackal buisness, MJ getting pregnant, perhaps sans a lot of the character suicide of the wife beater Peter) were to be presented in the monthlies for the very FIRST TIME, while some would still be quite beholden to Pete, others would see this relatively in continuity tale that manages to give us a single Spider Man while still retaining the character of Pete as pure genius.
Spidey418
Webslinger
Webslinger