Green Goblin and the Thunderbolds - What do you think?

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

OsGob27
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by OsGob27 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:41 am

Now, I haven't read any of the comics (though I'll pick up Thunderbolts if it ever hits trade-paperback-land), but from what I've heard it seems to me that Civil War is just one huge ****-up both on the part of Marvel and the part of the government in the storyline. Making Norman Osborn head of a government-funded team of hero hunters is a dramatically excellent way of showing just how screwed up the government is.

Like I said, I haven't actually read any of the source material, so I could be wrong.
Follow that cold shiver running down your spine...

If thou didst ever they dear father love, revenge his foul and most unnatural murder!

Sheephead
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Sheephead » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:04 pm

Venom65437 wrote:Well of course all super villains are on the run. That said, anyone with powers who has not stepped forward and registered is a fugitive right now.
I see, so they're not just concentrating on good guys or bad guys in particular? Although I suppose they just see them all as bad guys as they are actually breaking the law!

MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MadGoblin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:27 am

OsGob27 wrote:Making Norman Osborn head of a government-funded team of hero hunters is a dramatically excellent way of showing just how screwed up the government is.
Or it could imply too, that Norman has "friends" in government positions who owe him. Also, although his "villain making" did not have the official sanction of the US Government nor was funded by it, I would suspect that various political figures would be just as concerned about super powered beings taking over as business leaders would be. If super powered beings, both good and bad, can be kept busy fighting each other, then they won't have time to do other things...

Oh - and to answer Antiyonder's question - even though Sandman became a bad guy again - he would seem to have a certain moral ambiguity at times (in other words, I don't think he's ALL bad these days) - that would be in line with being a Thunderbolt. But like I said, I'm not a Thunderbolts expert.

Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:24 am

I think one of the main problems people have with Osborn leading the team is that he's a publically known mass-murderer and cop-killer (when they went to arrest him in PULSE). Gwen Stacy's death alone made the Bugle's front page for a week.

And we're supposed to believe the public would support him over Captain America?

That's like the public cheering your choice of Fidel Castro to go hunt down Jimmy Carter.

OsGob27
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by OsGob27 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 pm

MadGoblin wrote:Oh - and to answer Antiyonder's question - even though Sandman became a bad guy again - he would seem to have a certain moral ambiguity at times (in other words, I don't think he's ALL bad these days) - that would be in line with being a Thunderbolt. But like I said, I'm not a Thunderbolts expert.
Nor am I, but it could also be connected to the fact that Sandman is definitely getting a really altruistic motivation in Spider-Man 3. I just read Peter David's novelization. I'm not going to give anything away, but Sandman is portrayed as a crook with a heart of gold who just goes a little power-hungry after the transformation. Wheras Brock is a little sh** no matter how you look at it and Harry is, well, Harry.

I'm not giving anything away! Don't ask me to! Except...I have GOT to see this movie!
Follow that cold shiver running down your spine...

If thou didst ever they dear father love, revenge his foul and most unnatural murder!

NightSurfer
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by NightSurfer » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:51 pm

Like the idea (im new) :lol:
THE HEIR TO SPIDEY'S WORST ENEMY!

Antiyonder
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Antiyonder » Tue May 15, 2007 5:00 am

MadGoblin wrote:I'm not a Thunderbolts expert, but it seems like the purpose of this team is much different than the prior ones. This team is not about personal redemption (with the exception of Penance & Songbird perhaps), it's about staying out of the Negative Zone gulag, serving a year, and getting a passport out of the country with a few million bucks.
Which is another example of how comics lose their optimistic feel more and more. Original team=Hope for humanity, Recent team=What's in it for me?
Antiyonder: No relation to The Anti-Beyonder from the non existing Amalgam Comics Miniseries "Secret Crisis Of The Infinity Hour #1-12"

Animaniacs "Turkey Jerky"

Miles Standish "Be gone pests, and give me the bird."
Yakko "We'd love to, really, but the Fox Censors won't allow it."