The Goblin Prince Part 6 - Ready for Your Reading Pleasure!

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

The Goblin Prince Part 6 - Ready for Your Reading Pleasure!

Postby MadGoblin » Tue May 30, 2006 9:08 pm

O.K. - it's a little late and a little crude. I didn't have a chance to scan all of the pics I wanted to, and it probably could use a little editing - but why hold out on you?

This is it - Harry Osborn's life starts hurtling down into the abyss. He does drugs. Gwen dies. Norman "dies." Harry freaks out. Need I say more?

The Goblin Prince Part 6

And come back here to the Crawlspace Boards to discuss!
Last edited by MadGoblin on Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby sir spidy » Tue May 30, 2006 9:13 pm

Once again another GREAT article. My only problem is how come you blame peter and mj? Harry didn't HAVE to take the drugs. If you would have to blame anyone i would put ALL blame on norman because peter was at leat trying by moving in with harry. Norman never tried.
sir spidy

Postby MadGoblin » Tue May 30, 2006 10:25 pm

sir spidy wrote:Once again another GREAT article. My only problem is how come you blame peter and mj? Harry didn't HAVE to take the drugs. If you would have to blame anyone i would put ALL blame on norman because peter was at leat trying by moving in with harry. Norman never tried.

Thank you.

I don't think I place all of Harry's problems on Peter and MJ - obviously his father screwed his life up and he himself messed up pretty badly. I'm just trying to bring up the perspective that although we like Peter and MJ, and they are the stars of the Spider-Man Saga - they're still pretty flawed themselves. MJ was the wrong girl at the wrong time for Harry. The relationship was a poor fit, and she wasn't the type of woman he needed at the time (so who was the right woman? Ah, that's Part 7) - it's not her fault, per se, but she didn't help the situation. And Peter, well...that's something we can have fun debating. I think in my article on the Spider-Man media, I mention that in the MTV cartoon, Harry is clearly troubled and developing an alcohol problem, but neither of his best friends seem to be noticing!
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Venom65437 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:42 pm

First of all, that was great as usual MG.

I think it IS fair to put part of the blame for Harry's problems on Peter and MJ. They're supposed to be some of his closest friends, and they continually shunned him. Especially Peter. If the person you LIVE with can't even take the time to notice you have serious problems, that is just pretty sad, IMO.

If I had a bad drug problem I would hope my closest friends would smack me upside the head and ask me what the hell is wrong with me. Hell, I KNOW they would.

So of course it isn't ALL their fault. Norman was a real crappy father, but I'd argue that at the end of high school and the beginning of college most people are closer to their friends then their parents. I was anyway. And a lot of people I knew were. So, Pete and MJ should of at least said something to Harry.
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Thanos6 » Wed May 31, 2006 7:46 am

Agreed. Another great article, JR.

(hey, you know you like to read this for some of the obscure shit I can pull out).

Got that right. I love the way you tie these little disparate pieces of information together. You're like Grand Admiral Thrawn.
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby jkaris » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:32 am

As usual, EXCELLENT work!
jkaris
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby BtmxComedy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:29 pm

Good job JR, another great article.
BtmxComedy
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Professor Hulk » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:51 pm

Excellent article, this time.

The Harry series has really taken off since it started being about Harry (sorry!).

I can't wait to see where it goes. Well actually I know where it goes. Spectacular #200 was, when I read it, the most moving comic I'd ever read.

Yet it always seems overlooked whenever anyone discusses the best single issues of Spidey. To me this and ASM #400 are the reasons why J.M. Dematteis is my pick for best Spidey writer since at least Roger Stern.

To me (and this is going to get me into trouble) Harry was a hundred times more interesting than Norman. Norman is quite simply irredeemably evil, while Harry was a good man, who became a villain so gradually he didn't ever realize it happened.
Professor Hulk
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Venom65437 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:55 am

Professor Hulk wrote:Excellent article, this time.

The Harry series has really taken off since it started being about Harry (sorry!).

I can't wait to see where it goes. Well actually I know where it goes. Spectacular #200 was, when I read it, the most moving comic I'd ever read.

Yet it always seems overlooked whenever anyone discusses the best single issues of Spidey. To me this and ASM #400 are the reasons why J.M. Dematteis is my pick for best Spidey writer since at least Roger Stern.

To me (and this is going to get me into trouble) Harry was a hundred times more interesting than Norman. Norman is quite simply irredeemably evil, while Harry was a good man, who became a villain so gradually he didn't ever realize it happened.

Hmmm, thinking about it, I tend to agree with your feelings about Dematteis. He really is quite good.

Good observation on Harry too. He's probably more interesting than Norman, but I like Norman as a villian better... probably just because he's easy to dislike.
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby MadGoblin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:08 am

Professor Hulk wrote:Excellent article, this time.

Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys.

I needed to lay the groundwork for Norman's resentment of Harry.

And Harry's story actually goes beyond Spectacular #200.

There will be some time devoted to Harry vs. Norman as the Greatest Goblin. It's no surprise that I like Norman better, but I will be looking at it in an objective and analytical fashion.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby e-three » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:44 pm

Here's a good as place as any to tell you what many others have, and it's that you do such a great job on your articles! The only thing that sucks about them is that when I read 'em it makes me miss all the supporting characters that are no longer in the books now. Anyway, I've been enjoying the Harry series and can't wait for the next installment!
e-three
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Professor Hulk » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:49 am

MadGoblin wrote:
There will be some time devoted to Harry vs. Norman as the Greatest Goblin. It's no surprise that I like Norman better,

And so would the majority of fans, I would imagine. I'm pretty sure I'm the minority. There's something about a guy being forced to fight his best friend that's really compelling to me.

I used to be a big fan of Xavier vs. Magneto and how neither wanted to kill the other, but wanted the other to join his side. And of course over in the Distinguished Competition all the flashback stories have recast Pre-scarring Harvey Dent as Batman's best friend, even to the point where he was considering trusting Harvey with his secret ID right before the transformation into Two-Face. Interestingly, in Batman the Animated Series, Harvey was made the best friend of Bruce Wayne, not the Batman, but I'm way off-topic now!

Norman was (at the time of death in ASM 121) just a generic costumed lunatic with a personal grudge against hero who must constantly come back looking for revenge. The only things that made him unique (at the time of ASM 121) were his dual personality and the fact that he killed the woman our hero was going to marry (according to Stan) which was unhead of at the time.
Professor Hulk
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby The Soda Man » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:16 pm

What a tease. I thought you were gonna finally spill the beans on George Stacy. Another article and still no explanation. Son of a bitch.
The Soda Man
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:16 pm

The Soda Man wrote:What a tease. I thought you were gonna finally spill the beans on George Stacy. Another article and still no explanation. Son of a bitch.

The information you're looking for will not be in this current series. It will be in the next character focus series, which will not begin until the fall. Sorry to disappoint you.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby sir spidy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:29 am

has anyone noticed that the discussion from the golbin prince 5 has come over to this thread?
sir spidy