Suggestion for the next "character focus" series o

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Postby BD » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:24 pm

greedyslayer wrote:So, long time reader, first time poster:

...I'm actually up for more Green Goblin (your articles have made me like him even more). 8)

Though at this point, I'm really looking forward to 2006's year in review (interested in thoughts on Civil War--okay, more interested in Norman apparently working with the government and in charge of some team).

Something with a singular focus on Spider-Girl would be nice; I'd also want to know your exact thoughts on the youngest Osborn, Normie.

...And from some above, before--agreed, anything you write has to earn some of your interest.

Great to see a regular reader turn into a poster. Welcome aboard!
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby greedyslayer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:25 pm

Brad Douglas wrote:Great to see a regular reader turn into a poster. Welcome aboard!

Thanks. :D
greedyslayer
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Antiyonder » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:20 pm

I did a few posts on the previous forum that was on this site, just registered last night.

Anyway, I go with greedyslayer on doing some Spider-Girl articles. Also, maybe some articles on his team ups/encounters with The Human Torch, Daredevil and for some good old humor, Howard The Duck.
Antiyonder: No relation to The Anti-Beyonder from the non existing Amalgam Comics Miniseries "Secret Crisis Of The Infinity Hour #1-12"

Animaniacs "Turkey Jerky"

Miles Standish "Be gone pests, and give me the bird."
Yakko "We'd love to, really, but the Fox Censors won't allow it."
Antiyonder
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby BD » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:23 pm

So it's been since 2003 since last you visited? Wowza! Welcome back.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Character Focus

Postby Teck » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:09 pm

Doc Ock, of course.
Teck
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby OsGob27 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:09 am

BD wrote:
greedyslayer wrote:So, long time reader, first time poster:

Great to see a regular reader turn into a poster. Welcome aboard!

I've been reading regularly for at least a year now, probably more, and I just posted for the first time tonight. Wonderful essays. If I were ever teaching a college class on Spider-Man, I'd use these essays as required reading. Then again, being a 20-year-old struggling actor, I don't see myself teaching anything at any colleges anytime soon. (Wow, that's a lot of "any"s)

Anyway (there it is again!), as far as more character-centered pieces, I know who I want to read about, but I don't know if there's enough information about The Lizard to warrant a full article, much less a series.

Being someone who's comic-reading experience is limited to graphic novel stories/collections concerning my favorite characters only (i.e. Revenge of the Green Goblin trade paperback), I'd like to read a full take on The Jackal, find out exactly what he was about and exactly how he was ruined, and why.
Follow that cold shiver running down your spine...

If thou didst ever they dear father love, revenge his foul and most unnatural murder!
OsGob27
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Kevin Cushing » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:11 am

OsGob27 wrote:Then again, being a 20-year-old struggling actor, I don't see myself teaching anything at any colleges anytime soon.

20 year old aspiring comic writer here. Nice to see a starving artist compatriot!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey
Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Antiyonder » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:58 am

BD wrote:So it's been since 2003 since last you visited? Wowza! Welcome back.

Actually, I believe the forum I'm refering to was around a little later before recently.

Come to think of it, I think I remember (from a PM I think) that Madgoblin was considering an article on Spider-Girl when he could get around to it. But I could be misremembering.

One thing I'm hoping to see mentioned is his thought concerning Aunt May's fate in Spider-Girl. Like Madgoblin, I found the reversal of May's death in ASM #400 to be a mistake, granted her character has been improved since then. But the beauty of the MC2 line is that ASM #400 remains valid, since the whole genetic actress retcon was nonexistant in SG #49.
Antiyonder: No relation to The Anti-Beyonder from the non existing Amalgam Comics Miniseries "Secret Crisis Of The Infinity Hour #1-12"

Antiyonder
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby MadGoblin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:38 am

Antiyonder wrote: Come to think of it, I think I remember (from a PM I think) that Madgoblin was considering an article on Spider-Girl when he could get around to it. But I could be misremembering.

No, you weren't. I was considering one as part of "Alternate Spideys" particularly when Spider-Girl as a title looked like it was going to have a much more finite existence. Since I cover her every year as part of "Year in Review" now, I'm not sure I have a good angle for a stand alone essay on her at this point in time.

And to address other requests (And I may actually contradict some of my earlier posts considering the age of this thread - but these are my latest thoughts):

A profile of the Jackal/Miles Warren would definitely be part of a Clone Saga series (which is on the table, but not for 2007 - at least not now). But other than the various Goblins (since they all ultimately derived from one source anyway), Doc Ock, and Venom, I'm not too sure that the other Spidey villains have enough "traction" for my long-winded essays. But something on several of them collectively might work someday.

And Doc Ock - I so want to do something on him, but the timing is just never right - I should have done that and was going to do that in 2004 - but had one of my infamous six month burnouts.

Symbiotes other than Venom - only in the context of the Venom series

I considered Black Cat and Gwen articles - but between the short profiles I did in the "Mary Jane" series, and a look at Gwen as part of the infamous "DeFlowering Gwen," I'm not sure what I could do in a stand alone essay on them - but that being said, the entry on Felicia definitely needs to be expanded.

Daily Bugle cast - Jonah is certainly on the table for an essay. Beyond that - not likely.

Aunt May - Again, certainly on the table - not sure when the time would be right.

Famous team-ups - Interesting - always thought Spidey/FF or Spidey/DD had possibilities - maybe Spidey/Wolverine - not sure about any of the others - since I thought all versions of MTU were rather lame.

More Green Goblin - that's always a possibility considering Norman's profile in the Marvel Universe these days. "Normie" would only be in context of a discussion of Spider-Girl, since he gave up being the Goblin within a couple of years of the launch of that series.

The Chelsea Apartment - that is such a friggin' bizarre idea it might actually work in some context - because I had a small apartment of my own at one time - the problem is that it's been 20 years since Peter bailed out of it.

The many versions of Spider-Man - Between Alternate Spideys and the Clone Saga - that would probably hit them eventually.

Spider-Man Games - that's actually another interesting idea - but I'm not a gamer and really have no basis on which to do an article. That said -of the four that either my son or I have played (including that old Atari version that BD once referenced on a podcast) - I think I like the one based on the comics that had a symbiote theme running throughout and ended with Doc Ock being taken over by a symbiote. As much as I dislike symbiotes in the comics - I did like that game.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Venom65437 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:46 am

You'rre talking about the original Spidey game on the PS! First time I tried to fight the "Carnage Doc Ock" I actually ran up to him to hit him... then I figured out... oh... run away... :lol:

WHYYYYYYYYYYY DIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! :lol:
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby OsGob27 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:52 pm

I love that game too, but my absolute favorite Spider-game is the one based off the first movie because it has a special unlockable that lets you play an alternate storyline as the Green Goblin! (well, Harry as a good Green Goblin, over the exact same levels, but still! Awesomeness!)

That's why I am PO'd at the developers of the Spider-Man 3 game right now. They'll release it on the PS2, all right, but if you want to have New Goblin as a playable character, you have to buy the overrated and overpriced PS3! Which I swore I would never sink money into unless Kingdom Hearts III was otherwise unavailable.

I know...that was off-topic...and I'm sorry...but, JR, if you have a PS2, how can you resist playing the Goblin? Even if it is the Power Ranger suit?

But, back on the true topic, Ock and Clones should be next after you finish your Harry and Venom and YIR06. But take all the time you need. No rushing genius.

If thou didst ever they dear father love, revenge his foul and most unnatural murder!
OsGob27
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:00 pm

OsGob27 wrote:JR, if you have a PS2, how can you resist playing the Goblin? Even if it is the Power Ranger suit?

I played the Harry Goblin in the original movie game. It is a lot of fun because I like shooting people which you can do with the glider's weapons. :D . It was also easier to play than being Spidey. I kept trying to play as Mary Jane just to see how whacked that would look, but for some reason the code was never accepted (there were a couple of other variations that wouldn't play either)
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby OsGob27 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:35 pm

Hmm...GIRLNEXTDOOR always worked for me. And I've played as MJ many times just for laughs. It is extremely wrong, especially at the ending animation. :mrgreen:

Also, the FREAKOUT code is listed as "Matrix Spidey", but that's because people are stupid. Actually, what it gives you is the guy who is the Glider test pilot at the beginning of the movie when Osborn walks in on Stromm talking to the general. That's cool to have.

But, yeah, playing as the Goblin is so much easier in a lot of ways. I can just stay out of danger and shoot people and/or lob bombs at them. :mrgreen:

OsGob27
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Antiyonder » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:14 pm

MadGoblin wrote:No, you weren't. I was considering one as part of "Alternate Spideys" particularly when Spider-Girl as a title looked like it was going to have a much more finite existence. Since I cover her every year as part of "Year in Review" now, I'm not sure I have a good angle for a stand alone essay on her at this point in time.

On that note, are you going to reedit the "Year in Review" to include the Spider-Girl comics from 1999-2001?

Famous team-ups - Interesting - always thought Spidey/FF or Spidey/DD had possibilities - maybe Spidey/Wolverine - not sure about any of the others - since I thought all versions of MTU were rather lame.

If you don't mind my suggestion, the Spidey/FF would probably be the best one to start, since both are returning to the big screen.

Antiyonder
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby OsGob27 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:59 pm

True. Plus, wasn't the first issue of ASM ever about Spidey trying to join the FF?

OsGob27
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer