Suggestion for the next "character focus" series o

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

User avatar
Spidercraft
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Novi, Michigan, USA
Contact:

Suggestion for the next "character focus" series o

Post by Spidercraft » Mon May 15, 2006 10:24 am

Character Focus is what I've been calling stuff you've done like about Mary Jane, and this Goblin Prince Thing with Harry for examples...I don't know if you already have had this planned...but hear me out.

DO ONE ON BLACK CAT NEXT!

The first part (or two) explains her history...by the way what did YOU think of the Retcont Kevin SMith did to her origins in Evil That Men Do #6? Personally I liked it ebcause I always felt that the whole "Obsessed with her idolization of her father" angle was a bit 1) unrealistic and 2) made her sound a tad bit delusional...using it as a motive for what to do with her life AFTERWARDS made more sense. anyway...

Part 3 would, of course, be about the romance between ehr and Spidey and you can go ALL OUT on that one.

The last possible part could dedicated to the different versions, both in the comics (like Ultimate and Spider-Girl), the Video Games (mainly Spider-Man 2 the movie game), and the cartoon)

How does that sound? And also...hope you don't hate me for liking that retcont but seriously...I thought it DID make more sense for motivation.
Last edited by Spidercraft on Mon May 15, 2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 5720
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:46 am
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by BD » Mon May 15, 2006 10:36 am

You're talking about the Black Cat right? If so, add my name to the list in support of a Black Cat article. She's one of my favorite guest stars.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image
Image

User avatar
Spidercraft
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Novi, Michigan, USA
Contact:

Post by Spidercraft » Mon May 15, 2006 10:40 am

Brad Douglas-webmaster wrote:You're talking about the Black Cat right? If so, add my name to the list in support of a Black Cat article. She's one of my favorite guest stars.
Yeah I was...LOL...went on and on in that post and forget to even say the name of who I was suggesting. But hey, it was my first post on this board...LOL...cut me some slack.

Heh...the Webmaster himself is the first person to EVER reply to on of my threads on this board...how lucky is that...ok I'm exagerrating a bit...ok A LOT.

Hey Brad...what did YOU personally think about the RetCont Smith did? I really felt it made her origins feel more like any girl could become black cat...before hand, I used to see her as a greedy rich girl who just followed in her fathers footsteps because she idolized her and, I guess, wanted more money and stole just for the thrill. Smith, IMO, made her reasons less selfish and more realistic. (seriously, what girl idolizes their father to the length Felica did?)

User avatar
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 5720
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:46 am
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by BD » Mon May 15, 2006 11:42 am

I didn't really mind the Smith story. But I do have a problem with Smith coming in and changing in broad strokes characters. Mysterio, Karen Page, Felicia etc.

I was really up on him when he started at Marvel, but his delays have really cost him some points.

But yeah Felicia is a great character and I think could support her own book.

Also, welcome to the board. Always good to see new people in here and as of the last few weeks we've had a ton of them.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image
Image

User avatar
Spidercraft
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Novi, Michigan, USA
Contact:

Post by Spidercraft » Mon May 15, 2006 11:49 am

Brad Douglas-webmaster wrote:I didn't really mind the Smith story. But I do have a problem with Smith coming in and changing in broad strokes characters. Mysterio, Karen Page, Felicia etc.

I was really up on him when he started at Marvel, but his delays have really cost him some points.

But year Felicia is a great character and I think could support her own book.

Also, welcome to the board. Always good to see new people in here and as of the last few weeks we've had a ton of them.
Agreed...First they use her in Millar's MK Spider-Man run, then they finish Evil That Men Do, now she's to have an unknown-size of a part in Civil War (judging by her being in one of the promo/cover arts), be a member of Heroes for Hire, AND co-star in a crossover 3-part mini with Wolverine called Claws.

The one one of those three upcoming things that has me worried is Claws...that horrid costume better be a one-shot...I mean, she's wearing the Dodson Design in the other two...and judging by the sample page on Newsarama...Spidey slapping Cats butt in this post-marriage (meaning post-getting married) time...kiss maybe (and even then he like "What the heck was that), look at her butt when she swings ahead of him...alright (like in Spider-man Unlimted with Finch doing the art...but that was only because Cat asked him if he liked the view...THAT is what caused him to really look) but SMILE AND SLAP her butt...it HAS to take place back when they were dating. It just has to.

EDIT: You know...I think this should be better discussed in it's own thread (i mean Black Cat in general) in the comics thread...I'll go recopy this stuff, and add more, over there.

User avatar
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 5720
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:46 am
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by BD » Mon May 15, 2006 11:55 am

Speaking as a married man, if someone was dressed like the Cat it'd be hard not to stare. But yeah, slapping her butt was written by someone single.

Also as a new member, would you mind adding an avatar?
Thanks,
BD
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image
Image

User avatar
Spidercraft
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Novi, Michigan, USA
Contact:

Post by Spidercraft » Mon May 15, 2006 12:18 pm

Brad Douglas-webmaster wrote:Speaking as a married man, if someone was dressed like the Cat it'd be hard not to stare. But yeah, slapping her butt was written by someone single.

Also as a new member, would you mind adding an avatar?
Thanks,
BD
Sure...anyone know where I can find a good pic of Black Cat trying to French Spidey in ETMD #2?

User avatar
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 5720
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:46 am
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by BD » Mon May 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Try my image gallery under the black cat section. Not sure if it's in there, but it might be.
http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/copp ... hp?album=8
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image
Image

User avatar
Spidercraft
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Novi, Michigan, USA
Contact:

Post by Spidercraft » Mon May 15, 2006 12:23 pm

Brad Douglas-webmaster wrote:Try my image gallery under the black cat section. Not sure if it's in there, but it might be.
http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/copp ... hp?album=8
Thanks...wasn't there but I just realized I have a pic of my own (a diff one) that I can use instead...wait until you see it!

The Soda Man
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 7:47 pm

Post by The Soda Man » Mon May 15, 2006 1:33 pm

JR-- Some, or at least one, of us have been waiting years for a certain development to be given your intensive analysis.

User avatar
BtmxComedy
Avenger
Avenger
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:32 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Chicago
Contact:

Post by BtmxComedy » Mon May 15, 2006 2:24 pm

Spidercraft wrote:
Brad Douglas-webmaster wrote:I didn't really mind the Smith story. But I do have a problem with Smith coming in and changing in broad strokes characters. Mysterio, Karen Page, Felicia etc.

I was really up on him when he started at Marvel, but his delays have really cost him some points.

But year Felicia is a great character and I think could support her own book.

Also, welcome to the board. Always good to see new people in here and as of the last few weeks we've had a ton of them.
Agreed...First they use her in Millar's MK Spider-Man run, then they finish Evil That Men Do, now she's to have an unknown-size of a part in Civil War (judging by her being in one of the promo/cover arts), be a member of Heroes for Hire, AND co-star in a crossover 3-part mini with Wolverine called Claws.

The one one of those three upcoming things that has me worried is Claws...that horrid costume better be a one-shot...I mean, she's wearing the Dodson Design in the other two...and judging by the sample page on Newsarama...Spidey slapping Cats butt in this post-marriage (meaning post-getting married) time...kiss maybe (and even then he like "What the heck was that), look at her butt when she swings ahead of him...alright (like in Spider-man Unlimted with Finch doing the art...but that was only because Cat asked him if he liked the view...THAT is what caused him to really look) but SMILE AND SLAP her butt...it HAS to take place back when they were dating. It just has to.

EDIT: You know...I think this should be better discussed in it's own thread (i mean Black Cat in general) in the comics thread...I'll go recopy this stuff, and add more, over there.

Let us not forget Black Cat is currently appearing as a semi-homicidal woman in the pages of Sensational Spider-man.

Oh and "Claws" definitely looks like its about to be terrible. Not only does Black Cat look terrible but also Wolverine...and the preview with Spider-man...sigh... I hope to god this isn't in continuity or its at least a flashback, and I'm thankful its only three parts.
Image

User avatar
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 6:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Suggestion for the next "character focus" seri

Post by MadGoblin » Mon May 15, 2006 9:43 pm

Spidercraft wrote:Character Focus is what I've been calling stuff you've done like about Mary Jane, and this Goblin Prince Thing with Harry for examples...I don't know if you already have had this planned...but hear me out.

DO ONE ON BLACK CAT NEXT!

The first part (or two) explains her history...by the way what did YOU think of the Retcont Kevin SMith did to her origins in Evil That Men Do #6? Personally I liked it ebcause I always felt that the whole "Obsessed with her idolization of her father" angle was a bit 1) unrealistic and 2) made her sound a tad bit delusional
I like Felicia, too, but it'll be awhile before I profile her. There are a couple of more characters that need to be profiled before May 4, 2007.

I didn't care for Smith's retcon - I actually like the idea that Felicia can be a bit looney. Not crazy like she was made at the end of ASM #205, but definitely off-center.
The Soda Man wrote: JR-- Some, or at least one, of us have been waiting years for a certain development to be given your intensive analysis.
Patience, Grasshopper...the time is coming...

User avatar
BD
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 5720
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:46 am
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by BD » Mon May 15, 2006 9:48 pm

What focus are they refering to? The Clone Saga?
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image
Image

User avatar
MsMarvel1
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 11:15 pm

Post by MsMarvel1 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:13 pm

Not that anyone asked me, but I'm not fond of the retcon, either. Felicia being raped I can deal with, but I thought Smith's characterization of the Spider-Man/Black Cat relationship was all wrong. The idea that Felicia was drawn to Spider-Man because she felt she could trust him just doesn't fit her profile, in my opinion. And I just plain like the idea that she had the hots for Spider-Man, not that she was looking for the "really good guy who is unlike the bastard who raped me!" Felicia "really liking that Spider-Man took off his mask deep down" doesn't work for me either.

But I really, really, really hated the last part of that story for a variety of reasons. Mostly the patronizing dialogue. How many times did Felicia say "We must stop the cycle of violence!" Ugh.

User avatar
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Deep 13
Contact:

Post by Thanos6 » Tue May 16, 2006 12:14 am

Not to mention how stupid the heroes were being.

Oh, JR, I come bearing a message:

Fettinger:

If you don't do my article next, the last thing you'll hear on this mortal coil will be the sound of four adamantium tentacles tearing through your house.

Yours in good health,
-OO.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests