Part 5 of the Goblin Prince is now up!

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Part 5 of the Goblin Prince is now up!

Post by MadGoblin » Mon May 15, 2006 1:53 am

So - what could have been worse for Harry Osborn than meeting Peter Parker? Falling in love with Mary Jane Watson, that's what! It's misery galore for poor Harry as he begins to walk down the path to his inevitable destiny in The Goblin Prince Part 5

And come back here to the Crawlspace Boards to discuss!
Last edited by MadGoblin on Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taechunsa
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by taechunsa » Mon May 15, 2006 10:27 am

Goblin,

Exceptional piece, as usual. As much as I like MJ, I have to agree that meeting her was a very bad thing for Harry.

Keep up the good work.

BtmxComedy
Avenger
Avenger

Post by BtmxComedy » Mon May 15, 2006 2:39 pm

This is the best article of the series. I always wondered about the Harry and MJ relationship in the comics and somehow it didn't completely click the way it did just now on why they broke up and even why it brought Harry to the low point that he fell on in the drug story. Thank you for another great article.

Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Thanos6 » Mon May 15, 2006 3:41 pm

Another great article. I've never really cared for Mary Jane, not even back in the early days, and this reminds me why. (I'd still cast my vote for Felicia or Debra)

Poor Harry. He had two strikes against him before he was born.

Cosmic Spidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Cosmic Spidey » Mon May 15, 2006 4:48 pm

Great job J.R. Fine work as usual, although I've always thought Harry had a tad more backbone then you have given him credit for.
Excitable Boy

Marceux
Webslinger
Webslinger

Anyone else notice a change in style?

Post by Marceux » Mon May 15, 2006 7:10 pm

The article subject matter was wonderful, and you rarely falter with pacing and tying it all together, but I noticed something different in your writing. I think it may have been the diction or the style, or even the sentence structures, but something is different. You were swearing a bit more than usual, especially in the paragraphs that tied in personal information. I take it you must have really strong feelings about the college experience.

Again, I love reading your work not only because of the genius analyses of our favorite Spider-themed hero, but as well as the little snippets of personal revelations you like to put in your articles from time to time.
----

Zeta House Member "Bloom"

I'm not pro-BND. I'm just anti-you. Hee hee.

MsMarvel1
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by MsMarvel1 » Mon May 15, 2006 7:56 pm

I like this part of the article very much. Good deconstruction of the characters and how they feel about each other, as well as some of the things that may have happened behind the scenes. I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on all of your suggestions on the gang's extracurricular activities. (Maybe it's my own egocentrism, but I guess I always pictured their experience to be like my own just-finished college experience, where parties with beer happened, but they were few and far between.) But it's made me think a lot.

By the way, why do you think that Harry and MJ didn't sleep together? Not that I want to argue with you, but I'm just curious in your reasoning.

MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MadGoblin » Mon May 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Cosmic Spidey wrote:Great job J.R. Fine work as usual, although I've always thought Harry had a tad more backbone then you have given him credit for.
If you read the Annual, Harry does chicken out - but so would a lot have people. Now, he DID develop more backbone as he got older - and he definitely turned the corner when the Jason Macendale HobGoblin threatened his family. But we'll get to that eventually

Marceux wrote: noticed something different in your writing. I think it may have been the diction or the style, or even the sentence structures, but something is different. You were swearing a bit more than usual, especially in the paragraphs that tied in personal information. I take it you must have really strong feelings about the college experience.
The honest truth is that profane writing is lazy writing, and I was getting lazy. I was tired, stressed about some other things, and cranked the thing out without doing a whole lot of polishing. I do pepper the articles with some "color" because I don't want to make it seem like I take this all too seriously, that I'm anything more than an overgrown kid who likes Spider-Man. But I re-read it just now - and there's too much profanity in it for my liking. Plus, yeah, there's more to the story about my younger years than I'm telling you.

MsMarvel1 wrote:I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on all of your suggestions on the gang's extracurricular activities. (Maybe it's my own egocentrism, but I guess I always pictured their experience to be like my own just-finished college experience, where parties with beer happened, but they were few and far between.) But it's made me think a lot.

By the way, why do you think that Harry and MJ didn't sleep together? Not that I want to argue with you, but I'm just curious in your reasoning.

Whether or not the gang sat around and smoked pot or other activities, I think it's worth wondering just what all of these kids did with their free time. And looking at it in the context of the times the stories were originally written. It's fun to speculate.

I can't speak for what it's like to go to college these days. Not that I'm old or anything...but back in MY DAY....

As far as sex between MJ and Harry, I had a paragraph in mind, but didn't actually write it. Sometimes I get so sick of an article I just want to finish it. Yeah, there's actually stuff I DON'T put it - hard to believe. But in a nutshell, I don't think MJ let it go that far. I don't think she liked Harry enough to go all the way with him, or give him any impression that there was any kind of commitment involved. Harry would definitely have interpreted a sexual relationship as a commitment.

MsMarvel1
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by MsMarvel1 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:05 pm

Whether or not the gang sat around and smoked pot or other activities, I think it's worth wondering just what all of these kids did with their free time. And looking at it in the context of the times the stories were originally written. It's fun to speculate.

I can't speak for what it's like to go to college these days. Not that I'm old or anything...but back in MY DAY....
Oh, I agree on the speculation being fun. I mean, heck, I wouldn't have read "DeFlowering Gwen" as many times as I have if I didn't like speculation. And, honestly, I don't think college has changed much from your day. (I have a picture of a friend cuddled up to five empty bottles of Smirnoff, for example.) Like I said, this may be egocentrism because I wasn't really in to those things for the last four years, even though I've known quite a few people who are [cough] myroomate [cough].

Thanks for answering my question.

Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venom65437 » Wed May 17, 2006 12:06 am

Hey JR, great stuff as usual. I have the annual you were talking about and it really was a great story. And MJ getting mad at Harry for not picking up a gun and shooting it really made her come off as a bitch now and then. Haha. It's ok, I still love MJ.

sir spidy

Post by sir spidy » Wed May 17, 2006 2:11 pm

Great insight as ussual!