The Miles Chronicles: Spider-Man Issue 238 – SINISTER SIX REBORN

Hello true believers! It’s time for a look at the Adjective-less Spider-Man, Miles Morales! The “most Spider-Man like Spider-Man since Dan Slott started writing.” Plus, Miles vs. Sandman – to the DEATH!!! (Well, at least according to the cover…)

Title: Sinister Six Reborn

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis

Artist: Oscar Bazaldua

Color Artist: Brian Reiber

Letterer: VC’s Cory Petit

Cover Art: Patrick Brown

Editor: Nick Lowe

Published: March 7, 2018

Overview:

Our hero, Miles Morales, has just discovered that his Uncle Aaron is back from the dead and is leading the heist of the century: stealing a S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier! Aaron Davis (formerly the Prowler and now the Iron Spider) has formed a new Sinister Six with Sandman, Electro, Bombshell, Hobgoblin, and Spot. Aaron makes a deal with Miles to not interfere with the robbery (which he does anyway) and then the Sinister Six puts their plan into motion. Surprise! It turns out that Lana, aka Baby Bombshell, betrays the group, and calls Miles to get him to help. Surprise again! Hobgoblin also betrays the group and rats out that a Spider-person is behind it, causing Red Hulk, who is guarding the Helicarrier, to attack Miles when he shows up. Sandman pushes both Red Hulk and Spider-Man off the Helicarrier while they’re fighting and the Sinister Six gets away.

TL;DR: The Sinister Six steal a helicarrier. That’s pretty much it.

Highlights:

Sandman. Sandman’s character in the recent story has been shifted to the retired veteran who doesn’t really want to be involved. He’s jaded with the whole super villain stuff, he’s not really a bad guy, he just needs the money. When he sees Bombshell smacking around her daughter (as she has done in almost every issue leading up to this) Sandman puts a stop to it. And quick.

What was lacking:

Hobgoblin. Really? Hobgoblin was taken out with one kick? If he’s that easy to defeat, then why should we care about hobgoblin? And Miles too. While he was able to land a pretty good pun, all of his moments were either him talking to Ganke (where nothing really happened) or him skirmishing with Red Hulk (where nothing really happened). And that’s become the norm with Bendis: nothing happens. Miles has so much potential as a character, yet it feels wasted.

And now it’s time for my favorite segment: Misleading Covers! [cue studio audience applause]

Oooooh! A fight with Sandman this issue? This seems promising! I can’t wait to see the epic confrontation between Miles and Sandman! It would have to be really interesting since Miles’ venom blast probably won’t work on Sandman and…

That’s it. That’s the most we get. There was more of a fight with Hobgoblin and it was literally only one kick! AND HOBGOBLIN WAS FEATURED ON LAST ISSUE’S COVER! Why wasn’t the cover for last last issue used here? Or, you know, it could show Miles fighting Red Hulk. It could have even been a close up of Spider-Man’s mask a la Amazing Spider-Man #796.

You just have to make it a bit more Miles, and…

Perfect.

All in all, it wasn’t a bad comic, just nothing happened…. again. And this is Bendis’ problem: nothing ever happens. The past three issues have been about how they’re going to steal the helicarrier. You would think with a three issue build-up that the heist would put you on the edge of your seat, but it might be the most boring robbery of a flying aircraft carrier that I’ve ever seen. And this is why it’ll be nice to see a new writer; hopefully a writer that takes less than 15 issues for something to happen. Or, God-forbid, a meaningful fight scene.

Final Grade: D+

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #13 Review

Next Article

Spider-Man Cosplay #7! Featuring Gwen Stacy! (Livicole Cosplay)

You might be interested in …

7 Comments

1. I enjoyed reading your perspective, Grant! We’ll see how things change with the new writer. Some storylines this series have been too quick, whilst others have been too drawn out. Welcome to the Crawlspace!

2. That’s what made me leave this comic behind. It went back to: “nothing happens for 5 out of 6 issues” and it’s mostly told in flash backs. Enough! Give me a story please.

3. Great cover insight! They need to hire you as a cover artist. Welcome to the Crawlspace, Grant! May you get 20+ comments on every post. Excelsior!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *