Chi-Town’s Breakdown: The Amazing Spider-Man #16.HU (Tie-In Book)

Writer: Nick Spencer Artists: Iban Coello Editors: Nick Lowe  E.I.C: C.B. Cebulski   Crawlspace Staff: Chi-Town Spidey  Crawlspace E.I.C:  Brad Douglas

Yes that is the voice actress Erica Lindbeck, the voice of Black Cat in the Spider-Man PS4 game.

Wait hold up!  Chi-Town Spidey is doing an Amazing Spider-Man review?! Whhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa?  Where’s Mark’s review?  Where’s Neil’s Review?  What about Chi-Town’s reviews for Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man?  Didn’t Chi-Town ruin the letter section for us in Amazing?  How come I can’t get any Tang around here?  I demand ANSWERS!

Easy there!  Take a chill pill and let me explain.
1) Mark will sill be reviewing the main title book.  I’m just covering the “HU” tie-in issues.
2) Same thing with Neil and you’ll see a review from him on ASM 18HU
3) Still doing reviews for Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.  That hasn’t changed. 
4) Yes, I honestly don’t know how on this blue planet, I’m to blame for the lack of letter’s section from ASM 6 to ASM13.  I’m as confused as you are.
5) Pretty sure Tang the drink went extinct.

I have also covered for Mark twice in Alford’s Notes before.  Honestly we are getting 3 books in March, 4 books in April, and another 3 in May concerning this story.  I’m just swinging on over from Friendly Neighborhood to help my fellow Crawlspacer’s out to ease up the review load.

Recap: Kraven is back and is playing a different kind of hunting game.  He got The High Evolutionary on the Savage Land to buy some flour and bake up some Kraven cloned minie-me’s in their easy-bake oven.  You thought Ben 27 was something, check out Kraven’s son, we’ll call him “Kraven 87”.  So after Kraven 87 killed all his brothers, he informs his father that he will take is rightful place by his dad’s side by killing the one person that has evaded him.  Spider-Man.  Kraven tells his son all in good time, as all the rich pochers out there that Kraven has hunted arrive at a banquet hall.  See, Kraven didn’t kill them.  Nope, he understands that they just want to be powerful so he trains them to be hunters and has arranged a stage for them to hunt animal themed Super Villians!  Meanwhile Taskmaster and Black Ant have kidnapped Billy Conners and Black Cat has fallen into the trap and sends out an SOS to Spider-Man (cause they are pals again), whom btw, isn’t feeling to well!

The Story:  Felicia Hardy aka: The Black Cat is throwing some punches at some Maggia Goons because she needs to get some aggression out.  What’s got her so cheesed?..Why her “&$%# Ex-Boyfriend” of course.  Hey, those are her words, not mine.  She’s not mad on how things ended with Spider-Man the first time.  She’s not mad that Dr. Strange cast a spell on the whole world to make everyone forget that Spider-Man is Peter Parker. (Note: Read…NO, better yet…BLAME the first Civil War, OMD, and OMIT for that).  What’s got her so cheesed is that after Peter fixed that (which she’s grateful for and the readers are to) all these memories (we see flashbacks) are flooding back into her mind and she can’t stop seeing them!  After kicking the snot out of the Maggia goons, Black Cat is met by Hammerhead.  Hammerhead explains that ever since she gave up being the Queenpin of Crime, he’s been stepping up.  The Owl has been kidnapped and Hammerhead asks Black Cat to find him, in exchange he will turn his eye so she can help herself to some of Owl’s VERY EXPENSIVE paintings.  Despite her better judgement, she takes the job.  Using her detective skills, she finds out where the Owl is being held and runs into Billy Conner’s while on her mission.  Plan is simple, focus on the job, get Owl out, get Billy out, and then GET OUT.  Her luck is not working out that way as she finds that this was all a trap to lure her there.  Hammerhead double crossed her.  Taskmaster and Black Ant attack Black Cat and she knows she’s outnumbered and outgunned.  Using a flash grenade as a distraction, she then activates a Spider-Tracer she got from Spider-Man a long time ago in case of emergencies.  The SOS is sent, but Taskmaster pulls a Captain America move and makes her yield with his mighty shield. 

The Writer: Nick Spencer continues to write good solid stories filled with humor, action, and more importantly character depth!  This issue is no acceptation and worth the money to spend at your LCS or for a digital copy.  I did notice that a few people have complained about dragging the story along.  To me, Spencer is doing this correctly.  In this Amazing run so far he has followed through with his plans.  He introduced this Kraven tease in issue #802, his first issue writing Spider-Man.  After that it was the usual loose ends that he needed to tie up.  Clean up those loose ends in a way that make sense, fit the character’s true direction, and then follow through with what’s to come in future issues.  Within that clean up, introduce new subplots, characters and enjoyable to read.  I know we were all impatient to see this story since Spencer teased it, but I think it was worth it.  Seriously, you can’t tell me you didn’t enjoy the Bar with No Name story arc.  Spencer is also taking very good care of each sub plot.  He is a fan of Black Cat and honors her characterization.  The way she is written in this issue, you can tell Spencer put his heart and soul into it.  Given this direction, it’s no surprise that Felicia will be getting her own series soon.  She is a fan favorite and a fictional character, but Spencer has the right mind to respect that!  He never wants to disrespect her character and who she is.  He also falls back into what he comfortable with, the antics of Taskmaster and Black Ant.  More on that in a few.  

The Art:  When you have a great story to read it only gets better to see it as well.  Iban Coello art is easy to follow and leads no misdirection.  His art reminds me of a mix of J. Scott Campbell and Angel Mendina.  His attention to facial expressions pop out in a crisp and clear way.  You know what someone is angry, surprised, happy or disappointed.  I like the way he draws body structure as well.  Like this particular panel to your right.  The flowing movement is a stand still piece.  He knows the slender way of Felicia, the musclar nature of Hammerhead, and the limberness actions of Spider-Man.  I know Ottley is doing great in Amazing and if there was a back up artist, I would like to see Coello more.  I know Ramos has made his way back into Amazing and he’s one of the best artist, especially when he doesn’t feel rushed, but he made his mark before in Amazing.  Want someone new to come on board and create a fanbase.  Here’s hoping to see more of Coello.

Characterization

The Black Cat:  Felicia Hardy had something, then it was stolen from her, then she got it back.  What was it?  Her memories and relationship with Peter Parker.  The spotlight is on her and it focuses on the many emotions she’s going through after remembering everything.  Ever have an image or memory in your head that you can’t get out?  That’s Felicia right now.  She knows what has happened and she’s trying to find a way to deal with it.

A certain flashback comes to her mind is when Peter handed her a gift, the very first Spider-Tracer he planted on her, now modified for her to use in case she’s in a jam and needs help.  Of course when Peter does hand it to her he looks like he’s actually proposing to Felicia.  Parker luck strikes again as Peter had no time to wrap it and just placed in in the jewelry box and handed it to her.  Felicia didn’t take that too well.  Remember this is the same character that purposely fake proposed to Spider-Man in order to distract him and get away.  So should she be mad??  It’s a toss up.  She’s also feeling guilt.  She went to a bad place when she was the Queenpin of Crime and is trying to find ways to rectify that stage in her life, now gaining her memories back.  Felicia is trying to get back to her “default” setting of who she is and how she is making that journey seems that it will be an enjoyable ride.  I’m sure beloved Crawlspacer Ashley has already read and loved this new driven Black Cat.  Given this direction there could be some very good potential stories for her in the future. 

Taskmaster and Black Ant:  Spencer has created a new comedy and we couldn’t be more pleased.  With every panel they make their presence is very enjoyable.  These two banter are made of gold and I could honestly read them all day.  Spencer has settle in very nicely with these two and even more so with Fred Meyers.  Mark believe that soon Taskmaster will betray Black Ant because he fits the Animal theme, but who knows.  I honestly hope not.  Fred did that to his pals in Superior Foes of Spider-Man and he’s been feeling regret in that ever since.  A stand alone or mini series of Taskmaster and Black Ant would be promising, but honestly I think only Nick Spencer could write that.  Although it would be profitable, it’s good to know that Nick believes he needs to stay focus on what is in his hand, that being Amazing Spider-Man comic.

Conclusion:  This is a great book!  The character depth of Felicia hits all the beats it needs to hit as of right now.  The humor and action is all there and more importantly it never strays away from what truly matters, the Story itself.  This is a Tie-In to the Hunted. To see what happens next we’ll head back to the main title with issue #819 and Mark and Neil with give you their thoughts on that. The only real problem I have is the timing.  Billy was JUST taken by Taskmaster and Black Ant, how he get caged so fast and those two prepare for the Black Cat’s arrival?

Grade: A

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

Panel(s) of the Day #390 (Ditko!)

Next Article

Panel of the Day #391

You might be interested in …

2 Comments

1. Like Mark said, Great review, Love LOVE what Spencer did with Black Cat, been a long time since we’ve seen her being portrayed like this and I just love the art, I think it’s perfect for her. I would also give this issue a solid A.

2. Chi-Town, great review! A couple of thoughts: 1. Buy Tang online – Tang Orange Powdered Drink Mix (Makes 6 Quarts), 20-ounce Canister (2-pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010JGGQ6G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_brqGCb99V9CJE – 2. I think Taskmaster will be expected to betray Black Any, but I think he’ll put Bros before Kravens. 3. I am starting to think that Billy’s presence is going to cause some problems. Kraven’s a dad now and he will not like a kid who did not choose the animal theme in the hunt. 4. I loved the art as well and hope he becomes a regular back up artist. My grade? A-

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *